PDA

View Full Version : Fair sale price for a used DW735?

Brian Runau
11-04-2022, 3:05 PM
Not offering for sale here, just seeking advice. Looking to sell locally here in Indy a 12 yr old dw735, looking for what a fair price might be. Used it until @ week ago and the upward travel on the carriage became difficult or stuck. Took it completely apart reset the posts/carriage and cleaned it well. Travel is smooth, but takes a little effort, nothing like before. I bought myself a new one, wasn't sure I could fix it. I hate to throw stuff out. Used blades, no tables. Thanks. Brian

Justin Rapp
11-04-2022, 11:41 PM
Not offering for sale here, just seeking advice. Looking to sell locally here in Indy a 12 yr old dw735, looking for what a fair price might be. Used it until @ week ago and the upward travel on the carriage became difficult or stuck. Took it completely apart reset the posts/carriage and cleaned it well. Travel is smooth, but takes a little effort, nothing like before. I bought myself a new one, wasn't sure I could fix it. I hate to throw stuff out. Used blades, no tables. Thanks. Brian

Sometimes travel of wood in the 734 and 735 becomes no so smooth with worn/used blades. Did you try testing out some fresh blades in there? If not, there are so many 735's popping up on the market all the time that are in good working order, unless someone wants to tinker to try to make it function better I suspect it will be a hard sale. I'd donate it to a school's machine shop and if they can get it working well, it goes home with a woodworking student. A bit of pay it forward without putting it in the landfill.

Brian Runau
11-05-2022, 8:46 AM
Sometimes travel of wood in the 734 and 735 becomes no so smooth with worn/used blades. Did you try testing out some fresh blades in there? If not, there are so many 735's popping up on the market all the time that are in good working order, unless someone wants to tinker to try to make it function better I suspect it will be a hard sale. I'd donate it to a school's machine shop and if they can get it working well, it goes home with a woodworking student. A bit of pay it forward without putting it in the landfill.

Justin, I would never sell something that wasn't in good working order, travel just not as smooth as a new one and it is my intent to tell everyone this and have them check the travel to make sure they are ok with it. I don't want the bad karma. I was thinking $300? Brian

Justin Rapp
11-05-2022, 9:11 AM
Justin, I would never sell something that wasn't in good working order, travel just not as smooth as a new one and it is my intent to tell everyone this and have them check the travel to make sure they are ok with it. I don't want the bad karma. I was thinking $300? Brian

Brian, it really depends on the market value in your area if you want to sell it and if you find the right buyer. For me, perfect working tools are more a must, but it seems it's the same for you as you did go buy a new one. If the travel isn't as smooth, are you 100% sure that everything is riding square? If it is not riding square on all 4 corners maybe it's binding just enough to cause it to not travel as smooth. Run about a 10" wide board through and put a caliper on both sides of the wood to ensure it's cutting flat and square. At least you would have that measurement as a selling point.

I am very much the same with full disclosure of tools I sell. I upgraded to a sliding compound miter and sold my old dewalt miter. The blade brake sometimes didn't kick in and you'd have to double pull the trigger to get it to stop. Some new brushes might have resolved it but I informed the buyer about it and required them to make some test cuts. As long as your buyer knows exactly what they are getting, there is no bad karma.

Bob Riefer
11-05-2022, 9:21 AM
I think posting for $300 and giving full disclosure and a chance for the buyer to test the machine feels fair to me. If they haggle you to $250, and you consider the dozen years of use you got from the machine, not a bad deal for anyone.

Brian Runau
11-05-2022, 9:43 AM
Brian, it really depends on the market value in your area if you want to sell it and if you find the right buyer. For me, perfect working tools are more a must, but it seems it's the same for you as you did go buy a new one. If the travel isn't as smooth, are you 100% sure that everything is riding square? If it is not riding square on all 4 corners maybe it's binding just enough to cause it to not travel as smooth. Run about a 10" wide board through and put a caliper on both sides of the wood to ensure it's cutting flat and square. At least you would have that measurement as a selling point.

I am very much the same with full disclosure of tools I sell. I upgraded to a sliding compound miter and sold my old dewalt miter. The blade brake sometimes didn't kick in and you'd have to double pull the trigger to get it to stop. Some new brushes might have resolved it but I informed the buyer about it and required them to make some test cuts. As long as your buyer knows exactly what they are getting, there is no bad karma.

It is riding square and moving pretty smoothly. Not a mechanic or engineer, but I play one on TV. At my age, I just don't want to spend a lot of my time with "fixing tools" I've had a long time. I spent $350 my grizzly jointer fence, having it machined flat after 12-14 years, but a new one is $$$$ so worth fixing and glad I did. I see them like a car at 100,000 miles. You will be spending money on it and have the inconvenience of having to do that. I was hoping to help someone get one that wouldn't necessarily buy new and I offset my cost of a new one a little bit. thanks brian

Brian Runau
11-05-2022, 9:44 AM
I think posting for $300 and giving full disclosure and a chance for the buyer to test the machine feels fair to me. If they haggle you to $250, and you consider the dozen years of use you got from the machine, not a bad deal for anyone.

Thanks Bob, that was my thinking. Brian

John Kananis
11-05-2022, 11:57 AM
Beyond a fair price. 300 firm imho.

Stephen Rosenthal
11-05-2022, 12:12 PM
Three years ago I bought one on sale at Home Depot with the tables, Dewalt stand and an extra set of blades for $549. They go on sale around this time and the price will be a bit higher, probably $600-650. It’s a great machine, but $300 for a 12 year old bare bones bench top with minor issues seems a stretch, even here in California where everything is more expensive. Universal motors don’t last forever. I’d list it at $200 firm for a quick sale just to avoid the inevitable haggling

Bradley Gray
11-05-2022, 9:28 PM
A friend bought one a few weeks ago for $200.

Dave Sabo
11-06-2022, 9:46 AM
Three years ago I bought one on sale at Home Depot with the tables, Dewalt stand and an extra set of blades for $549. They go on sale around this time and the price will be a bit higher, probably $600-650. It’s a great machine, but $300 for a 12 year old bare bones bench top with minor issues seems a stretch, even here in California where everything is more expensive. Universal motors don’t last forever. I’d list it at $200 firm for a quick sale just to avoid the inevitable haggling

The new sale price is $750:

https://www.rockler.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-in-2-speed-planer-includes-knives-table-and-stand-bdl

Mark Gibney
11-06-2022, 9:52 AM
A few years ago I sold my 735. Craigslist had them at about $450 used. So I put mine up at $400 and I was flooded with replies.

Stephen Rosenthal
11-06-2022, 11:02 AM
The new sale price is $750:

https://www.rockler.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-in-2-speed-planer-includes-knives-table-and-stand-bdl

Dave,

Sometime between now and Christmas Home Depot has offered this package as a 1 Day Special Buy for a significantly discounted price. Mine was $300 off list. As you can imagine it sells out fast. Different retailers put this package on sale at times throughout the year, but nowhere close to the HD 1 Day Special price.

Brian Runau
11-06-2022, 5:38 PM
Thanks to everyone. Sold it today for $300. Brian

Dave Sabo
11-09-2022, 9:10 AM
Dave,

Sometime between now and Christmas Home Depot has offered this package as a 1 Day Special Buy for a significantly discounted price. Mine was $300 off list. As you can imagine it sells out fast. Different retailers put this package on sale at times throughout the year, but nowhere close to the HD 1 Day Special price.

Stephen - I think you're missing the point that the pricing you're talking about was in the past. Those days are gone.

p.s - you overpaid by 50 bucks, cause I got my dad's setup for $499!