PDA

View Full Version : Segmented jointer guard

Mark Gibney
11-03-2022, 12:01 PM
I want to buy a segmented jointer guard like this one that was posted to this forum back in early 2021. I can't find a link to it anywhere.

Any info much appreciated!

thanks, Mark

Jeff Roltgen
11-03-2022, 1:08 PM
Sorry no help, but am curious. What are advantages - what do the segments do? Interested in upgrading from the old "pork-chop" shape guard on mine, so watching this with interest...

jeff

glenn bradley
11-03-2022, 2:25 PM
The segments on a large width jointer allow the "pork chop" to snake down the side as opposed to swinging out into the operator area. The ones I have seen were shop made from hardwood laminated to a canvas backing.

This is the one at Sam Maloof's primary shop building. Think tambour door.

Patrick Kane
11-03-2022, 2:51 PM
There is a thread from not too long ago with multiple sources. Here is one of them.

sitec-katalog-en-4.pdf (panhans.de) (https://www.panhans.de/wp-content/uploads/sitec-katalog-en-4.pdf)

Go to page 21. I recall it being $600-700 american dollars. If you buy this and install it, please post photos. I want to see what is involved with retrofitting this to a machine. I would like to upgrade my guard to one of these.

Brian Holcombe
11-03-2022, 3:04 PM
I installed one and posted photos a year or so ago.

Jeff Roltgen
11-03-2022, 3:23 PM
Thanks for catalog posting, Patrick. Very nice offerings for many different machines. I'm drawn to the European style jointer guard on page 15 (17 in pdf#s)
Hefty price tag on that guy...

jeff

Patrick Kane
11-04-2022, 8:55 AM
Page 5 of the thread is where Brian's photos are. Also, i think Joe posted another source for a similar guard.
Convert Jointer Guard from European bridge style to American Porkchop Style - Page 5 (sawmillcreek.org) (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?290834-Convert-Jointer-Guard-from-European-bridge-style-to-American-Porkchop-Style/page5)

Yeah, i imagine the SUVA is as good as it gets. I wouldnt know, i am a peasant and havent used a machine with one installed. I do like the automatic nature of the SUVA. It springs back over the cutterhead after your material passes through. For $1500-2000, i would sooner add a powerfeeder to my jointer, i think. I am considering the segmented porkchop. I need to spend an hour or so monkeying around with how i would attach it to my machine.

Mark Gibney
11-04-2022, 11:48 PM
Thank you all, exactly the information I was looking for.
Mark