PDA

View Full Version : Wood floor Question Epoxy?

James Stokes
01-25-2006, 7:37 AM
I am in the process of doing some wood floors for a customer. The wood is graded "rustic". It is actually end cuts and culls. ( I think it should all be used for firewood) It has missing knot holes up to half dollar size. What would be the best thing to fill these with? Epoxy? What would be the best way to go about filling the holes and splits and finishing this?

Jay Wyant
01-25-2006, 8:00 AM
James,

I recently built a house and we used reclaimed Chinese Elm in one of the rooms. It was sold to the home owners as 600 year old wood from the Ming Dynasty. I was thinking it would have been better used as pallet material than flooring, but they payed for it so we installed it. The finishers were having the same problem you are with how to fill all of the voids, so I went to my local auto refinishing supply and got some of the liquid fiberglass resin. We simply poured some in a cup and went around the room pouring it in the holes. Once cured, normal finishing was done. It turned out beautiful. Only drawback was the fumes, so be prepared for lots of ventilation. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Tim Devery
01-25-2006, 9:27 AM
You can go to your local paint store and buy "tint all"
Or ask them for black dye, like they use to put into paint.
Mix the darkest color you can find with the epoxy.
I do it all the time when refinishing floors............

Mark Hollingsworth
01-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Tim, out of curiousity what particular epoxy do you use and can this be tinted with stain? Thanks, Mark