PDA

View Full Version : just another scam

Kev Williams
11-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Sure am getting tired of these, getting about 2 or 3 per week lately from various 'companies', a "thank you for your payment" for something I don't have or didn't buy, or in this case, never in a million years would I pay for since Norton lost any chance of my business years ago. There's no hyperlinks anywhere, just a phone number for you to call, which is, I assume, what they hope you do so they can talk you out of your personal info.

Notice just under my email address that "tylorfinch533265@gmail.com" is boxed; this is the actual senders email address hovering my mouse over the "Norton" address brings up. Pretty sure a genuine Norton email would have some sort of an "@Norton.com" type of address, yes?
Online thieves just.... you know.. 489058

https://engraver1.com/wp-content/scam2.jpg

Jeff Roltgen
11-01-2022, 12:45 PM
Feel your pain.
Changing email providers could help. My old hosting service became so corrupt, 90% of all emails to my business were garbage like your example.
Gmail seems to be the cleanest runner. None of that stuff ever got through my personal email. Just changed business email hosting to them in hopes it runs cleaner. So far, so good.

jeff

Derek Meyer
11-01-2022, 2:06 PM
I got one of these today. The phone number in the email I got was in blue, but there was no hyperlink attached. I definitly won't be calling that number!

Derek

Lee DeRaud
11-04-2022, 5:07 PM
The ones I'm seeing are all ~$450 "invoices" for Geek Squad installation of some flavor of AV software.

I guess the presumption is that anyone who needs Geek Squad help to install an AV suite is stupid enough to fall for this...

Roger Dodds
11-08-2022, 2:55 PM
It's a numbers game as with any "marketing" and if they only get a smnall % of people who fall for it they are sadly making money.

Most online security is only necessary because of stupid people