PDA

View Full Version : Whiteside versus CMT dovetail router bits

Andrew McCarthy
01-24-2006, 11:19 PM
I just purchased a Leigh D4, and am trying to decide between Whiteside and CMT dovetail router bits. What is everyone's recommendation as between the two? CMT has a set of 13 bits for about $171, though maybe I would be better off just buying a few bits, as I don't know that I would have the occasion to use all of those. Thanks in advance for your help!

Brad Schmid
01-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi Andrew,

I'm currently using Whiteside bits with my D4. I'm actually kinda impressed with them. They've stayed sharp for a long time. I never bought a full set, I just buy them as I need them and that has worked fine since when I build drawers I have a favorite wood thickness I like to use most of the time. It means I only have to have the through and half blind bits for that one thickness, and maybe a few others for a special occassion. I haven't used CMT bits with a D4, so I can't comment on that.

BTW - you might want to consider bits with 8mm shank as opposed to 1/4". They're a bit beefier to withstand more lateral force.

Jim Davenport
01-25-2006, 6:58 AM
I think you're probably better off just buying the bits that you will use. I bought the "CMT" 12 bit set ((800-502) for my "Leigh D-3" jig several years ago. Most of the bits are still brand new, never used. I will say that the bits I've used have held up very well, remembering that I'm just a hobbiest. I only use them a few times a year. I have a lot of other CMT bits, and I'm very pleased with them.

tod evans
01-25-2006, 8:20 AM
whiteside are usa, cmt are taiwan......02 tod

Greg Heppeard
01-25-2006, 8:44 AM
whiteside are usa, cmt are taiwan......02 tod

Tod, you're half right. Whiteside are made in the US, while CMT are made in Italy. I do personally prefer the Whiteside, but the CMT are almost as good. I feel the Whiteside stay sharper a little longer. I'm not sure of the reason for this. It could be that the sharpening process is different, or could be a slight difference in the carbide. I own both, but I tend to buy the Whiteside if the bit I'm looking for is available in both brands. Just personal preference.

Frank Pellow
01-25-2006, 8:50 AM
Why don't you get the bits from Leigh?

tod evans
01-25-2006, 9:21 AM
Tod, you're half right. Whiteside are made in the US, while CMT are made in Italy. I do personally prefer the Whiteside, but the CMT are almost as good. I feel the Whiteside stay sharper a little longer. I'm not sure of the reason for this. It could be that the sharpening process is different, or could be a slight difference in the carbide. I own both, but I tend to buy the Whiteside if the bit I'm looking for is available in both brands. Just personal preference.

i stand corrected. thanks,greg. i based my assumption on the fact that years ago i ordered lots of spiral bits from woodline and more than half where delivered with the cmt logo printed on the shank. again, i had assumed that the woodline bits where made in taiwan, hence the correlation.......02 tod

Gary Herrmann
01-25-2006, 9:54 AM
A couple years ago Hartville tools had a sale on the D4 and their set of bits. They told me they were the only ones that had gotten permisson from Leigh to create exact duplicates of their bits. As I said, I bought the whole setup, so got a pretty good deal. At the time I figured the Hartville bits may work better with the jig since they were copies of the Leigh bits. They've worked just fine. Are they as high quality as the Whiteside? Probably not.

Frank Pellow
01-25-2006, 10:02 AM
A couple years ago Hartville tools had a sale on the D4 and their set of bits. They told me they were the only ones that had gotten permisson from Leigh to create exact duplicates of their bits. As I said, I bought the whole setup, so got a pretty good deal. At the time I figured the Hartville bits may work better with the jig since they were copies of the Leigh bits. They've worked just fine. Are they as high quality as the Whiteside? Probably not.
I ask the question again, but this time to you Gary. Why didn't you buy the "originals" from Leigh?

In my opinion, it is usually best to support the originators of tools by buying their stuff.

Gary Herrmann
01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I ask the question again, but this time to you Gary. Why didn't you buy the "originals" from Leigh?

In my opinion, it is usually best to support the originators or tools by buying their stuff.

The Leigh bits seemed pricey, plus with the deal Hartville had going, I just couldn't pass up the savings (especially when their tech support guy told me the bits were exact copies - that agreement may not even exist anymore). I'd have to look it up to see what I paid tho.