PDA

View Full Version : NE Osage Orange Bowl

John Hart
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
The other day, I found some Osage Orange out at the Tree Dump Lot Thing and cut a few blanks. The next day, Keith Christopher came by and we went out and cut some more. I was just dying to get it a try and also wanted to try something in Natural Edge. I survived this one. What Fun!!! I'm going to do more of these for sure!!:)

I was so excited that I took these pics before it's finished. It's taking an Alkie Bath now. It's 9" Diameter and 3" High. Hope she makes it!

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
That is very kewl! Nice job John!

corey

Bill Stevener
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
LQQkin good so far John. I'll bet Andy would like that for a BIG banana boat Sunday.

Hope it cures out ok for ya.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Lookin' GOOD, John, hope it makes it to completion. Got to try one of these NE.

Jim Dunn
01-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Don't see no pics of "your" survival, just a real neat bowl:) As Tyler says "no pics it didn't happen".

Just peachy John.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Very nice John. Looks very cool.

Travis Stinson
01-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Great job John. Fun is an understatement!:D

Bob Noles
01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
John,

Natural edge is my favorite form. I can't help but think that it is what drew me to turning under it all even though I have not gotten that far yet. You did this piece big time justice and I can't wait to see it finished.

John.... you're just plain good at turning and your pictures show it!

Andy Hoyt
01-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Oh yeah! Now that's what defines cool.

Jim Ketron
01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Nice Job John!
I love NE bowls

Michael Stafford
01-25-2006, 6:15 AM
John, there is nothing wrong with that. That piece is collector quality. Keep up the good work.:D

Blake McCully
01-25-2006, 6:41 AM
John,
For as thin as that bowl is, you won't get a chance to true it up, but I think that'll be OK. It will warp, I'll bet pretty dramatically, but that will be cool. Looks like you'll have a lot of hand sanding to do.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

John Hart
01-25-2006, 6:51 AM
John,
For as thin as that bowl is, you won't get a chance to true it up, but I think that'll be OK. It will warp, I'll bet pretty dramatically, but that will be cool. Looks like you'll have a lot of hand sanding to do.....

Thanks everyone! I see more of these in my future.

Blake....I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. One of the chemists at work explained to me a while back that if you leave it in alcohol for a long time, it will dry while submerged. I think I'll give that a try with this one and see if I can minimize the warp. As far as the hand sanding goes, this is one of the few times that I actually look forward to it. I think I'll spend a lot of time on it.:)

Thanks again!

Dick Parr
01-25-2006, 7:56 AM
Great job John, that one looks like it will be a keeper.

Glenn Hodges
01-25-2006, 8:19 AM
Nice looking NE, warping will only add character and difficult sanding.

Karl Laustrup
01-25-2006, 8:48 AM
That looks like a really cool bowl, Frick. :)

I hope it comes out of the bath and finishes in one piece for you. Don't forget the finished pics. :D

What was the pucker factor on a scale of 1-10? ;) :D

Karl

Mark Cothren
01-25-2006, 8:58 AM
Lookin' good, John!

John Hart
01-25-2006, 9:49 AM
...What was the pucker factor on a scale of 1-10? ;) :D

There was a moment when it was a 10 when the edge snagged my hand between my thumb and index finger at about 600 RPM:eek: But I wasn't even turning at the time...just careless as I reached for a piece of sandpaper. A little blood...But luckily, none got on the bowl! Whew!!:D

Other than that....Overall...a pucker factor of 3....No fear, just lots of focus and caution. (except for 2 milliseconds):rolleyes: :o

Mike Ramsey
01-25-2006, 10:19 AM
John, I've turned a few big bowls and such with Osage and in the
beginning tried the alchy bath, It didn't seem to help with the Osage.
I found (for me) that it didn't matter whether I soaked it or not, I
think because it's a pretty dense wood. Also It doesn't move very
much as it's drying but my Osage bowls are a lot thicker, So a thin
edged bowl might move a lot more and it would probably benifit from soaking....Let us know.

John Miliunas
01-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Dang it, John! Where, when and how do you find the time to do all that you do???? :confused: (And to think...He'll be brushing down that mare pretty soon, too! :D )

Really sharp looking form, dude! I can't wait to see it done with your "secret finish" and all! :) :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Yep, that is SUPER nice....

Counting the days until my lathe gets here......:(

Ed Scolforo
01-25-2006, 2:10 PM
Looks very promising, John.

Dave Smith
01-25-2006, 2:44 PM
Nice looking bowl young man.

Keeping the wood submerged for a long period of time will allow the water in the wood and the solution to become equalized. So I think the term "dry while submerged" is a little misleading. The water in the wood will not go any lower than the percentage of water in the soaking solution.

As I have said before, thinner walls will actually distort less and have fewer defects because there is less stress. It is counter intuitive to think thinners walls will allow enough wood to reture a bowl after it drys.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Too busy for posting in Longview, WA.

John Hart
01-26-2006, 7:34 AM
I agree with you Dave 100%. Even as the Chemist was saying that, common sense told me that the water was still there. Some displacement would occur but really, the best you could hope for is 50%. The Osage is out of the bath now and drying. I guess in a few days and we'll see how it looks. Thanks all!!:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Alright John!!! Very nice.

Ernie

John Hart
02-04-2006, 8:06 PM
Well...I got it finished today. I used Jim Becker's Mouse Pad method to get it back on the lathe so I could get the foot the way I wanted it. Surprisingly, it didn't move very much and I was able to do a lot of spin sanding. I finished it with spray lacquer...4 coats

I've got to do more of these for sure!!

Keith Burns
02-04-2006, 8:22 PM
John, a great looking NE bowl.:) :) I swear I'm going to do one someday!

Corey Hallagan
02-04-2006, 8:26 PM
That is sweet! I have no idea how you guys mount something like that! Very nice John!

Corey

Travis Stinson
02-04-2006, 8:27 PM
Turned out great John.
Keith, how about Apr. 8?;)