PDA

View Full Version : Free Photo Editing Software????

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 10:21 PM
I recently got a new digital camera ( see my other post ) takes great photos, however the software leaves something to be desired and for sites like this where the image can only be so big, it isn't easy to reduce the image site.
Does anybody know a site where I can download some free photo software that is easy to use to reduce and resample photos? I used to use this little free program on the old computer, I think it was call Irafan or something like that but I can't locate it on the net anywhere. It was real simple to do, wasnt' much to it. I don't think it is around anymore.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Corey

Charlie Velasquez
01-24-2006, 10:37 PM
google irfanview or just go to

www.irfanview.com

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
That's it! Thanks, couldn't remember the full name! Thanks Charlie.

Corey

Got it downloaded Charlie, Thanks again!

Corey

Bruce Volden
01-25-2006, 7:22 AM
Corey

Also don't forget to get this free program from google-http://picasa.google.com/index.html excellent for organizing, email, some touch-ups etc.

Bruce

Jeff Sudmeier
01-25-2006, 7:47 AM
I use picasa as well, it is a GREAT little program! :) Allows for red eye reduction, cropping, straigtening, and many other edits.

Dave Richards
01-25-2006, 9:17 AM
Picasa is great and I use it frequently. I like that you can do some batch type editing as well as create webpages and burn discs as photo albums. One thing to be aware of though is that the editing done by Picasa does not change the original file. It only changes the way Picasa displays the image. This is nice because any editing you do in Picasa is not permanent. On the other hand, if you edit an image in Picasa and then go to MSWord to add the image file, you'll find it doesn't show any of the editing.

If you want to eliminate all of the editing you did in Picasa, you can simply delete the .INI file in the directory with the image files.

Randy Meijer
01-25-2006, 7:30 PM
I'm still running Windows 98 and Picasa won't work for me. But this Irfanview will run on all win 9x platforms so it may just be the ticket for me. Thanks for the recommendation!!:D

Dave Richards
01-25-2006, 9:24 PM
Randy, I have Picasa running on my old Windows 98SE machine. It works fine. Irfanview will probably be good. too.

Randy Meijer
01-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Randy, I have Picasa running on my old Windows 98SE machine. It works fine. Irfanview will probably be good. too.

Very interesting, Dave. I don't even have SE, I'm running the original 98 version. Since you have been able to get it to run, guess I have nothing to lose by trying it?? Think I will give the people at Google a shout to see what they have to say. The web site says you need 200/XP for it to work??

Dave Richards
01-26-2006, 6:55 AM
Randy, I neglected to say my father is also running it on his Win98 machine.

Good luck.

By the way, keep in mind what I wrote earlier about editing photos in Picasa. If you want to be able to import the image file into, say MSWord, the editing you did in Picasa won't carry over.

There is another free alternative out there you might want to look at. It is called GIMP. It is basically a GNU version of Photoshop. More complex GUI than Picasa or Irfanview but a whole lot more capable.