PDA

View Full Version : FS - Lie-Nielsen 97 1/2 Small Chisel Plane

John Keeton
10-29-2022, 3:14 PM
Comes with the original box and paperwork and in excellent shape. The blade as a faint secondary bevel on it - maybe only a degree or two. I have another one of these for flush trimming tenons on my chair work. Not only are they cute little planes, but for the purpose they were intended, very functional!

In stock at LN at $175, plus shipping and sales tax if applicable in your state, bringing the total close to $200 and perhaps a bit more depending on your locale. On eBay, most bring between $165 - 200, plus shipping and sales tax. I never understood the "over retail" thing, but apparently buyers in Europe can avoid the VAT tax by buying "used" on eBay. Who knows!!

Anyway, this one is $160 shipped. Payment by personal check (preferred) or Zelle.

John Keeton
10-31-2022, 10:16 AM
$150 shipped - final call!!

John Keeton
11-01-2022, 4:46 AM
I guess this one will go back in the plane cabinet to await better times! Thanks for looking.

Greg Parrish
11-01-2022, 10:49 AM
Would have been all over it John, but I literally just ordered one direct from LN last month. My luck......................

John Keeton
11-01-2022, 1:41 PM
Greg, timing is everything! Speaking of....the manganese bronze market was severely impacted by Covid and is still trying to recover. Iron/steel have had historic price increases that are just now filtering down into the market. Combined with labor issues, this doesn't bode well for some of our favorite tool makers. If you have doubts about that, just take a moment and count the Core Tools that are out of stock at LN, and then go to Core 2 Tools and do the same.

I think folks need to be realistic about what this means for tool supplies in the future. If you think you will be able to buy quality tools cheaper in the months and years to come, then you may be delusional!! Thomas Lie-Nielsen and Rob Lee are business men that have made successes with their companies. But, they are small companies that HAVE TO make a profit if they are to survive. They are not national companies with huge financial resources. That means raising prices to offset production costs, increased labor costs, material shortage delays, etc.

I have other LN planes I was going to list for sale, but I think it best to just wait until market prices increase and folks discover the reality of the times. I am also reasonably certain that LN will cease production of additional tools given the disclaimer on some of the items.

Jim Koepke
11-01-2022, 3:40 PM
Greg, timing is everything! Speaking of....the manganese bronze market was severely impacted by Covid and is still trying to recover.

[heavily edited]

If you have doubts about that, just take a moment and count the Core Tools that are out of stock at LN, and then go to Core 2 Tools and do the same.

I think folks need to be realistic about what this means for tool supplies in the future.

That means raising prices to offset production costs, increased labor costs, material shortage delays, etc.

I am also reasonably certain that LN will cease production of additional tools given the disclaimer on some of the items.

One slice of the pie that often goes unmentioned is the impact of recent events on labor. Many workers across industries were lost forever. Many decided it was time to put their life into an occupation more suited to their own desires.

In the Washington Post today there are two articles related to workers. One is about lowered production. This might do to recent "work from home" statistics showing production actually increased in many instances when office workers were able to get more done without having to be in an office environment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/10/31/productivity-down-employers-worried-recession/

The other article is about those who retired or decided to find other employment, often referred to as "The Great Resignation." A great percentage of the workforce, through the result of retirement or illness, has left the job market for good. Many folks even left good paying jobs in some industries because they were more comfortable being a dog walker or groomer.

The dice have been shaken and the deck reshuffled, what happens next is a new game.

We may see limited edition of some tools from some makers. It may be tempting when prices are through the roof for discontinued items to produce an anniversary or signature edition.

jtk

-- Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it ‘The Present’ – Eleanor Roosevelt (also said by Oogway in Kung Fu Panda)

Stephen Rosenthal
11-01-2022, 4:03 PM
John,

While what you wrote is likely very accurate, keep in mind that a chisel plane is somewhat of a one-trick pony. I have one (LN) and use it occasionally. But truth be told it doesn’t do anything that a 1” cranked-neck or long paring chisel can’t and those are readily available at reasonable prices. Of course the LN chisel plane is much nicer to look at.

I also have a specialized plane currently listed here by a high-end maker at an almost $100 discount off retail. Thus far not a nibble. I’m afraid the state of the market is impacting people’s discretionary spending habits. I know it is mine.

John Keeton
11-01-2022, 6:27 PM
Stephen, I realize the limited application of the chisel plane, but that wasn't really the motivation for my post. Over the past week or so I have sold several LN tools, but I see you and others listing quality tools steeply discounted, and, like the chisel plane I listed, many are new and unused and yet there is little or no interest. It is a sign of the times.

I will add that I have another 97 1/2 and like it very much. I would grab it before I would consider a 1" chisel.

Stephen Rosenthal
11-01-2022, 9:16 PM
John,

I listed 3 other HNT Gordons here recently, decreased the prices twice to no avail. I finally listed them on eBay and Craigslist and sold them all for my original (and higher) price. I prefer to give fellow Creekers first crack on quality tools at a discounted price, but like you I won’t give them away. I have a feeling that my current offering will end up on eBay as well.

Jim Koepke
11-02-2022, 12:56 AM
I also have a specialized plane currently listed here by a high-end maker at an almost $100 discount off retail. Thus far not a nibble. I’m afraid the state of the market is impacting people’s discretionary spending habits. I know it is mine.

Is it likely people are looking to save money for Christmas shopping?

That is one thing that might make people reluctant to spend money on themselves at this time of year.

jtk

Keegan Shields
11-02-2022, 8:49 AM
This is a great plane at a great price! It adds precision to any flush trimming activity. I sharpened a slight camber into the blade on my 97 1/2 to ensure the corners don't dig in.

If you are on the fence - give it a try.

Thomas Wilson
11-02-2022, 1:43 PM
John, you don’t mention the main use I bought my 97 1/2 for. If I missed a line of glue in a shelf joint or face frame joint, the chisel plane is the best at removing it without damage. Just slide it straight in with the grain and the glue comes off in a single thread. It is great.

John Keeton
11-02-2022, 7:55 PM
This one is sold!!