PDA

View Full Version : Don't Let Green Bananas Stop You

Bruce Wrenn
10-28-2022, 9:08 PM
I like banana nut bread, so I decided to look up a recipe for banana nut muffins. After watching several videos , and reading some recipes, I decided to use "Preppy's Kitchen's " recipe. One of things that absolute necessary for banana nut bread is VERY RIPE BANANAS. So what do you do when you only have green bananas? Simple, put them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes. When they come out, they will be very ripe. So don't let green bananas keep you from enjoying banana nut bread.

Dave Zellers
10-29-2022, 1:33 AM
Alright. You just triggered me, as the kids these days like to say. My favorite joke of ALL time was told by the late, insanely great, George Burns.

"I'm so old, I don't buy green bananas."

Followed by, "I can't die, I'm booked."

At this point, I just want to live long enough to see that kind of humor return.

Dave Zellers
10-29-2022, 1:46 AM
Apologies. Nothing to do re your point. :D

And I do love banana bread.

Nutless, for me.

Jim Becker
10-29-2022, 9:29 AM
I actively seek to buy my weekly bunch of bananas a little green so they last though the week...I have one with breakfast each day. For baking, one of the main reasons that "well ripened" bananas tend to be preferred is because they also tend to be sweeter. But what is being made matters when banana is an ingredient and that's not just for baking. That said, your banana hack is a good one to know!

Nuts all the way, BTW.

Lee Schierer
10-29-2022, 1:10 PM
If you get the chance go to a country where they grow bananas and buy a ripe banana from a local vendor. They are far sweeter than the "ripened green" ones that get shipped to our super markets.

John K Jordan
10-29-2022, 3:40 PM
Apologies. Nothing to do re your point. :D

And I do love banana bread.

Nutless, for me.

Me too. But our resident chef/baker also makes some variations you might want to try sometime. Best fresh out of the oven, of course but she keeps a variety of small loaves in a freezer that I can pull out and defrost on a whim. Some of my favorites:

Cherry/banana bread (cherries from our tree, defrosted this loaf yesterday)
Strawberry/banana
Peach/banana
Pear/banana

And some without bananas (same general recipe), with fruit from our trees:
Pear bread
Fig bread
Peach bread

Most of the time we add chopped pecans or walnuts.
I sometimes put a slice in the microwave for a few seconds.

JKJ

Jim Koepke
10-29-2022, 5:12 PM
Me too. But our resident chef/baker also makes some variations you might want to try sometime. Best fresh out of the oven, of course but she keeps a variety of small loaves in a freezer that I can pull out and defrost on a whim. Some of my favorites:

Cherry/banana bread (cherries from our tree, defrosted this loaf yesterday)
Strawberry/banana
Peach/banana
Pear/banana

And some without bananas (same general recipe), with fruit from our trees:
Pear bread
Fig bread
Peach bread

Most of the time we add chopped pecans or walnuts.
I sometimes put a slice in the microwave for a few seconds.

JKJ

Those have my mouth watering John.

One of my favorites is zucchini bread with various dried fruits added. I like to use whole wheat flower and brown sugar. With added fruit it may make more than two loaves.

jtk

Zucchini Bread
Makes 2 loaves

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar (.86 Lbs)
2 cups grated zucchini
1 Tbs vanilla

Beat eggs until light, add sugar, oil, zucchini and vanilla, mix well.
Add the rest of the ingredients to batter and thoroughly mix.

3 cups flour (.86 Lbs)
1 cup wheat bran (optional)
1 Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

At this point any optional ingredients may be added.

optional extras
chopped dried apricots
chopped dates
chopped nuts
chopped dried apples
sunflower seeds (unsalted)

Prepare the loaf pans by rubbing oil or butter over the entire inside surface (a spray on oil can be used). Pour a small amount of flour into the pan and tilt the pan so the flour adheres to all the surfaces that have been coated with oil. Pour the flour into the next pan to be used, turn the pan upside down over the next pan, and lightly tap to remove the excess flour.
Pour the batter into two loaf pans (8 in. x 3-7/8 in. x 2-3/8 in. may need bigger, or more if you add a lot of extras). The loaves will rise about 3/4 inch. Bake 1 hour at 325° or until long tooth pick inserted into loaf does not have any residue when removed.

Peter Mich
10-29-2022, 5:45 PM
As long as we’re going bananas…I realize this is completely opposite of Bruce’s intention…

If you are looking to slow the ripening process, wrap the stem of a cluster of bananas with plastic shrink wrap to delay the release of ethylene gas. When ethylene gas is released, fruit ripens.

Lee Schierer
10-29-2022, 6:50 PM
As long as we’re going bananas…I realize this is completely opposite of Bruce’s intention…

If you are looking to slow the ripening process, wrap the stem of a cluster of bananas with plastic shrink wrap to delay the release of ethylene gas. When ethylene gas is released, fruit ripens.

Supposedly if you separate the bananas to different areas of the room they ripen slower. Of course if you forget where you put them the fruit flies will find them.

Bruce Wrenn
10-29-2022, 8:56 PM
Prepare the loaf pans by rubbing oil or butter over the entire inside surface (a spray on oil can be used). Pour a small amount of flour into the pan and tilt the pan so the flour adheres to all the surfaces that have been coated with oil. Pour the flour into the next pan to be used, turn the pan upside down over the next pan, and lightly tap to remove the excess flour.
I prefer to paint the inside of my pans with melted butter, using a 1" paint brush from Dollar Store. I keep brush (wrapped in a butter wrapper,) and a small dish of butter in butter tray of fridge. Nuke them for about 35 seconds to melt butter and soften brush, paint inside of pan. Then I place pan into fridge for about ten minutes to solidify butter before dusting with flour. The only reason to grow two zucchini plants is in case the first one dies

Dave Zellers
10-29-2022, 9:11 PM
Of course if you forget where you put them the fruit flies will find them.

Sorry again :D. From the Great Groucho: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

Dave Zellers
10-29-2022, 9:15 PM
The only reason to grow two zucchini plants is in case the first one dies

Ain't dat da trudth! :p