PDA

View Full Version : help identifying blum hinge

David Zaret
10-28-2022, 7:14 PM
can someone please tell me what i'm looking at? it's an inserta plate, but with little metal pegs instead of the 8mm normal press-ins... appears to be a zero clearance hinge, but i'm not sure what's going on with the mounting. any guidance is appreciated.

[EDIT] - i'm curious about the inserta-side of this hinge, not the "clip-top" plate side.

-- dz

Maurice Mcmurry
10-28-2022, 7:50 PM
Proprietary to Ikea and/or Scandinavian design?

Doug Colombo
10-28-2022, 9:22 PM
Hinge is for a kitchen 45 degree corner cabinet (lazy susan type cabinet). There is a mounting plate that goes on the hinge that mounts that end to the cabinet (see picture 2).

David Zaret
10-28-2022, 10:08 PM
Hinge is for a kitchen 45 degree corner cabinet (lazy susan type cabinet). There is a mounting plate that goes on the hinge that mounts that end to the cabinet (see picture 2).

doug, the mounting plate you're showing is a standard face frame clip-top plate - and yes, that will work with those hinges. i'm less concerned with that end of the hinge than i am with the door side, where it's a modified Inserta style with a tiny pin.

Rob Sack
10-28-2022, 10:40 PM
I would need to see the other side of the hinge to be sure, but it appears to be a 165 degree Inserta hinge that can be used with a variety of base plates and face frame plates by clipping the hinge arm onto the plate. The choice of plates is determined by the particular application and amount of overlay required. The hinge is installed in the door without tools and also clips onto the plates without tools.

David Zaret
10-28-2022, 11:02 PM
I would need to see the other side of the hinge to be sure, but it appears to be a 165 degree Inserta hinge that can be used with a variety of base plates and face frame plates by clipping the hinge arm onto the plate. The choice of plates is determined by the particular application and amount of overlay required. The hinge is installed in the door without tools and also clips onto the plates without tools.

sorry. i'm really not being clear. i get the clip-top plate side of things. it's the inserta side. look at the picture i posted - the inserta "pins" are highly irregular, and i can't figure out how it's meant to work. i totally understand the plate side.

Jonathan Jung
10-29-2022, 12:33 AM
Have you tried looking up the part #? Sometimes if I'm stumped on a hinge I call Blum, talk to support, a rep, or call a supplier like woodworkerexpress. Saves time trying to figure it out myself.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-29-2022, 8:01 AM
Parts appear to be missing. Is the cover plate on the door side removable?

I have worked on steel cabinetry for doctors and hospitals that have unusual hardware. Whats the back story with yours?

Phil Gaudio
10-29-2022, 8:35 AM
Contact Blum: I was in a similar situation and they asked for a few pictures and identified the hinge immediately.

David Zaret
10-29-2022, 8:36 AM
Parts appear to be missing. Is the cover plate on the door side removable?

I have worked on steel cabinetry for doctors and hospitals that have unusual hardware. Whats the back story with yours?

yeah i thought perhaps these came off of something metal, or even glass... but i have no idea. the geometry of the hinge is exactly what i need for a specific use case, but the inserta portion is..... odd. i reached out to my richelieu rep for assistance, we'll see. perhaps there are indeed missing parts, but i have... 12 of them. no idea where or how i got them - i have a lot of hardware.

thanks for the info, i think the best bet at this point is to ignore these 12 and buy new, proper inserta hinges.

--- dz

David Zaret
10-29-2022, 8:37 AM
Contact Blum: I was in a similar situation and they asked for a few pictures and identified the hinge immediately.

good call, i'll do it monday.

Rob Sack
10-29-2022, 11:18 AM
At least in the photos, the hinge seems to be intact. If your question is how to install the hinge, you need to lift the top of the hinge cover, somewhat like opening the hood of a car. Place the hinge in the 35mm cup. You will need to have both 8 mm holes in the door panel, just as you wood with the old press in hinges. The 8 mm "stubs" on your hinge merely align the hinge perfectly perpendicular to the edge of the door. Once the hinge is completely inserted in the door, close the "hood". The two black semi circle plastic pieces on the under side of the hinge will expand an lock the hinge in place. Think of brake shoes against a brake drum.

David Zaret
10-29-2022, 2:25 PM
At least in the photos, the hinge seems to be intact. If your question is how to install the hinge, you need to lift the top of the hinge cover, somewhat like opening the hood of a car. Place the hinge in the 35mm cup. You will need to have both 8 mm holes in the door panel, just as you wood with the old press in hinges. The 8 mm "stubs" on your hinge merely align the hinge perfectly perpendicular to the edge of the door. Once the hinge is completely inserted in the door, close the "hood". The two black semi circle plastic pieces on the under side of the hinge will expand an lock the hinge in place. Think of brake shoes against a brake drum.

i use literally thousands of Blum inserta hinges. these don't have the 8mm pegs. they have tiny little metal pegs. that's the issue i'm trying to figure out. i'll call blum tomorrow.

Rob Sack
10-29-2022, 4:21 PM
i use literally thousands of Blum inserta hinges. these don't have the 8mm pegs. they have tiny little metal pegs. that's the issue i'm trying to figure out. i'll call blum tomorrow.

How tiny are the pegs on your hinges? What is the diameter of these pegs?

Dave Sabo
10-30-2022, 7:58 PM
I'm pretty sure you have some sort of hybrid hinge made on contract for someone.

I'm guessing that your hinge also has a lever that activates the inserta tabs. Looks like it in your pics #2 anyway. Obviously you'd have to remove the two screws before you'd be able lift up the hood to disengage the tabs. The screws act as a lock when installed.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-30-2022, 9:12 PM
I've got a few of something similar, they came with a the plastic gripper bushings that are meant to be screwed on, then you can press them like the more modern ones. Kind of a cludgy mess to use up old stock I think, no sense having the expanding inserta system that the cover accuates and the press pegs, but its a way I guess. Yours is missing the screw and peg. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

David Zaret
10-31-2022, 10:46 AM
I've got a few of something similar, they came with a the plastic gripper bushings that are meant to be screwed on, then you can press them like the more modern ones. Kind of a cludgy mess to use up old stock I think, no sense having the expanding inserta system that the cover accuates and the press pegs, but its a way I guess. Yours is missing the screw and peg. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

steve, that's what i was thinking. and, i think that it's not worth messing with. it "feels" like i'm missing those parts, but oddly, on 12 hinges, which is a bit odd. those parts might have been tossed along with doors they were attached to, who knows.

meanwhile, the correct hinges are in my richelieu cart.

-- dz

Steve Rozmiarek
10-31-2022, 3:19 PM
steve, that's what i was thinking. and, i think that it's not worth messing with. it "feels" like i'm missing those parts, but oddly, on 12 hinges, which is a bit odd. those parts might have been tossed along with doors they were attached to, who knows.

meanwhile, the correct hinges are in my richelieu cart.

-- dz

Those pegs stay put in the door, so if they just popped the cover up, which would have released the inserta, them removed the screws, the hinge would be free. Makes sense that you get them missing the pegs. Pic is of what I'm talking about, hinge is slightly different than yours, but pretty similar.