PDA

View Full Version : FS - Coveted Lie-Nielsen No. 1 with original box - $550 shipped

John Keeton
10-28-2022, 8:49 AM
You will not find one of these coveted little gems any cheaper than this!! They routinely sell for $650-700 even without the box and never with an extra blade.

This plane was purchased in 1996, in Warren Me, by a now deceased physician. It is pristine and in the original older and lighter colored box. It comes with an extra blade that was purchased at the same time.

Price of $550 shipped is firm. Payment by personal check (preferred) or Zelle.

Frank Martin
10-28-2022, 9:05 AM
I will take it.

John Keeton
10-28-2022, 9:09 AM
Sorry, Frank. Someone beat you to it. SOLD!!

John Keeton
10-28-2022, 9:10 AM
At 9:01, by the way. This may be the fastest sale on SMC!! 2 minutes post to sale.

Todd Sebek
10-28-2022, 10:01 AM
WOW! What a deal!

Frank Martin
10-28-2022, 2:37 PM
No worries. Happy for whoever got it. That was super fast!

Sorry, Frank. Someone beat you to it. SOLD!!

Jim Koepke
10-28-2022, 3:13 PM
Price of $550 shipped is firm.

You would know someone was yanking your chain if they tried to talk you down from that.

This may be the fastest sale on SMC!! 2 minutes post to sale.

It just rolled right on by…

I'm wondering if I'm the only one that actually occasionally uses a #1?

jtk

Keegan Shields
10-28-2022, 4:40 PM
Man, now I'm checking the classifieds like its Cyber Monday - waiting to see if John posts some more awesome stuff... :)

Phil Gaudio
10-29-2022, 9:59 AM
You would know someone was yanking your chain if they tried to talk you down from that.

It just rolled right on by…

I'm wondering if I'm the only one that actually occasionally uses a #1?

jtk

Curious: what are the practical applications of the #1? I have considered it an objet d' art (wouldn't that look great on a coffee table?) and I have read that perhaps it's original purpose was as a salesman's sample.

Joseph Erthal
10-29-2022, 10:33 AM
Curious: what are the practical applications of the #1? I have considered it an objet d' art (wouldn't that look great on a coffee table?) and I have read that perhaps it's original purpose was as a salesman's sample.

You got me curious. Now why did I ever buy a #1 (because I have a tool addiction). Good article on why they are “important” to have:

https://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/2012/06/the-plane-facts-the-lie-nielsen-small-bench-planes-1-2-2i/

Jim Koepke
10-29-2022, 5:01 PM

Mine gets used on smaller work. Being it is actually smaller than a block plane, for me it is often used like a standard angle block plane. A big advantage over a block plane is it has a chip breaker.

From Patrick's Blood & Gore:

These planes are generally in very good, or better, condition since they were used very little. There are far too many of them out there to be considered salesman's samples or novelties as some people believe them to be.

Another use found for this size of plane was discovered one time when making a trick deck from a regular deck of cards. Often called a stripper deck the deck is tapered very slightly so one end is slightly narrower than the other. This makes it easy to turn one card around and then strip it from the deck by running your fingers along the sides of the deck. Typically fan the cards and have some one pull a card. Before they return the card you close the fan and turn the deck around. When they return the card the deck can be shuffled multiple times and the card is still ready to be stripped from the deck. If you are good with cards you can even move it to any place you want in the deck.

One of my fantasy projects is to make a shooting box for making stripper decks.

jtk

John Keeton
10-29-2022, 10:14 PM
The one that Phil bought was one I acquired early this week. I have another one that I bought a few months ago and I have used it a couple of times, but mostly I look at it as just a really neat looking piece of art. I might not feel that way if it wasn’t bronze.