PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley 2nds Sale

Nathan Johnson
10-26-2022, 12:17 PM
Anyone queue up and grab something?
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a RH PMV-11 shooting plane. Pretty stoked.

David Bassett
10-26-2022, 12:21 PM
Queued, but didn't really find anything this year. (Shows how successful I've been at previous 2nds sales, I guess. :) )

Nathan Johnson
10-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Queued, but didn't really find anything this year. (Shows how successful I've been at previous 2nds sales, I guess. :) )

That's probably not a bad thing at all. :)

David Zor
10-26-2022, 12:50 PM
Picked up a round spokeshave. Was hoping for a small or medium router to be listed.

Patrick Kane
10-26-2022, 1:47 PM
argh, David! I had a round spokeshave in my cart and after i entered my card info to complete the transaction it was sold out. I thought the selection was pretty decent.

Bob Betker
10-26-2022, 2:08 PM
I got a DX-60 block plane and RH edge plane, the edge plane was an impulse buy. I had a Scrub plane in my cart but it vanished before checkout. I was hoping they might have some PM-V11 chisels available, i've been wanting to get one or two to try out without paying full price.

George Yetka
10-26-2022, 2:32 PM
man I missed it

Adam Grund
10-26-2022, 2:47 PM
I looked, but didn’t buy anything- which I already went in to it knowing I wasn’t going to buy. I have to be pretty tight with money at the moment, so it would’ve had to be a screaming deal on something I desperately wanted to make me pry my card out of my wallet.

I was hoping they might have some PM-V11 chisels available, i've been wanting to get one or two to try out without paying full price.
I was also surprised to see them not there. They had a fair selection last year if I remember correctly.

Rob Lee
10-26-2022, 2:49 PM
man I missed it

Yeah - things move pretty quickly....stressful for staff too....

Still some good stuff left though!

Cheers -

Rob

David Zor
10-26-2022, 2:59 PM
argh, David! I had a round spokeshave in my cart and after i entered my card info to complete the transaction it was sold out. I thought the selection was pretty decent.

Sorry about that. I tried to get in and out quick.

Ray Newman
10-26-2022, 3:51 PM
This was the only time I was able to log on, which surprised me to no end! Did not find anything I wanted or needed, but in the "clearance/closeout" section of the web site, I did find and order a dozen gardening gloves for The Squeeze.

Since I am unfamiliar with the seconds sales, how are the seconds listed? Do you need to find what you want and hope there are some seconds, or are the seconds listed in a separately? Could be I spent too much time looking for and at things and the seconds were all sold out. Maybe the next sale, I will be more prepared and successful.

David Bassett
10-26-2022, 4:03 PM
... Still some good stuff left though! ...

Not so much now. (One plane type, one saw type, 2 miniature planes and bench pups.) Great deals, if you're looking for those items, but....

Also, I've got to admit the queuing software you're using works really well. But it's removed all the fun we had the "good old days" seeing how many times we could crash your site! :)

... Since I am unfamiliar with the seconds sales, how are the seconds listed? ....

They have a separate page with the seconds listed. You never know what it'll be. Go to the main page and click the banner. The page is still up, but with most of this years items showing as sold out.

Ray Newman
10-26-2022, 4:28 PM
Dave Bassett: thanks, found it. Some very good prices on the planes. The large router plane, Imperial blades, and box would have called my name had I earlier found the correct page.

Rob Lee
10-26-2022, 5:31 PM
(snip) But it's removed all the fun we had the "good old days" seeing how many times we could crash your site! :)

(snip)

Groan - I sure don't miss that......It's an insane amount of simultaneous traffic - and it challenges the API's that talk to the main system.

Turned the rest of my hair grey, and caused the grey ones to fall out..... :)

A few hiccups today - took some inadvertent back-orders when the sold-out function took a break - but we'll put that right for those customers.

For those that missed out - remember discounted gift cards are sold on cyber Monday - kind of an "anytime you want in the future sale.... applicable to all Veritas product.....and most other product (can't use these gift cards on things llike Festool and other MAP governed lines).

Cheers -

Rob

David Bassett
10-26-2022, 5:42 PM
Groan - I sure don't miss that......It's an insane amount of simultaneous traffic - and it challenges the API's that talk to the main system. ...

I'm sorry if I triggered PTSD or anything.

I can chuckle over your website trouble because (1) it wasn't my business, and (2) I'm retired from the computer industry where product launch troubles like you had are relatively minor. To survive you quickly learn to laugh about problems as soon as you figure out a fix. If you haven't gotten over the last one, the next crisis will kill you.

Bruce Mack
10-26-2022, 8:12 PM
36" steel straight edge for my bucket list. The price was really good and I have wanted one for years. My Ridgid tablesaw and jointer are already better than I am and I won't break the spell by checking them.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-26-2022, 9:36 PM
I found the entry to the 2nds sale a little confusing to navigate: it said we'd be directed to the waiting room, but that didn't happen until I clicked the Lee Valley name up top, but I got in, OK.
Really wanted a Custom #5, but none available, so I picked up a RH skew rabbet plane. Sale went through so I'm OK.
I called my local store and was joking with them that the Rabbet plane would arrive sooner than my #4 custom body, which I ordered in July.

Jon Barnett
10-27-2022, 8:14 AM
I picked up a cross cut tenon saw, and the small cast iron scratch stock. I tried several times to add the small carver's drawknife, but at checkout, it kept telling me to use store delivery for the knife, but then wouldn't let me proceed if I did. No biggie, at least I managed to hold off on buying another plane :).

Nathan Johnson
10-27-2022, 8:31 AM
I found the entry to the 2nds sale a little confusing to navigate: it said we'd be directed to the waiting room, but that didn't happen until I clicked the Lee Valley name up top, but I got in, OK.
Really wanted a Custom #5, but none available, so I picked up a RH skew rabbet plane. Sale went through so I'm OK.
I called my local store and was joking with them that the Rabbet plane would arrive sooner than my #4 custom body, which I ordered in July.

Interesting. I was redirected as promised, using Chrome on Android.

Chris Bailey
10-27-2022, 10:20 AM
I was hoping to pick up one of the bullnose planes for some smaller things I’ve been building lately. I actually got in the sale a few minutes early some how and added the plane to my cart. I kept looking and was ready to checkout a few minutes after 1200. I think there was a glitch because right after I hit checkout, I was directed to the waiting room. When I got in, I think they were all sold as the status said not available to ship in store only. I was a little bummed but I’ve been lucky with the sale in the past. Congrats to all who were able to pick up some great tools at a discount.

Aaron Liebling
10-27-2022, 1:59 PM
I got a shooting plane, which I'm quite excited about. Really the only thing I needed/wanted

Chuck Hill
10-27-2022, 11:45 PM
For those that missed out - remember discounted gift cards are sold on cyber Monday - kind of an "anytime you want in the future sale.... applicable to all Veritas product.....and most other product (can't use these gift cards on things llike Festool and other MAP governed lines).

Cheers -

Rob

I did that last year and was shocked at how quickly a $1000 gift card can get to zero! :D

Lee Valley just has way, way, way too many tempting things.

Jeff Keogh
10-29-2022, 9:14 AM
Small shoulder plane scored for cedar strip canoe project!!