PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" spiral coping saw blades?

Gordon Dale
10-26-2022, 11:16 AM
When cutting dovetails, I use a coping saw to clean out the waste. I always struggle a little "turning the corner" at the bottom of the socket and thought a spiral blade might be the answer. But I can't find 6.5" pinned spiral coping saw blades. I can find 5" but not 6.5". Does anyone sell these? Other thoughts? (I have hand pain that makes chopping out the waste with a chisel, well, a pain) Thanks.

Michael Bulatowicz
10-26-2022, 11:41 AM
While I can't point you in the direction of any 6.5 inch pinned spiral blades, such a blade may not be the answer you seek. The reason is that spiral blades, being twisted and with teeth sticking out in all directions, leave a much larger and rougher kerf than standard blades.

My suggestion: if you're having trouble turning the corner at the bottom of a saw kerf, remove the need to do so by using two coping saw cuts per waste removal. Start at one corner and make a gradual sweep down to the opposite corner, then turn the saw around and cut straight across to remove the rest of the waste (barring final paring).

I hope this helps.

Jim Koepke
10-26-2022, 12:04 PM
Gordon, my problem was similar to yours, though mine was with a fret saw. The spiral blades may not be the solution you are seeking. For me their extra width made a mess of things.

Instead of trying to turn the coping saw at the base line, start the turn above the base line. Making multiple short cuts above the base line will produce a kerf wide enough to easily turn the saw. This may leave a small amount of waste in the corner that should be easily removed with the saw.

jtk

Gordon Dale
10-26-2022, 10:21 PM
Thanks Michael and Jim. I hadn't thought about the tooth configuration of spiral blades. I'll try your suggestions. I'm sure I'll come up with a method that works for me.
Cheers, Gordon.