PDA

View Full Version : microplane VS rasps

Zahid Naqvi
01-24-2006, 7:44 PM
Any opinions on rasps vs microplanes? I have read a few on-line opinions in favor of microplanes, but I'd like some of the fellow creekers to share their insight before I committ to one or the other.

Don Baer
01-24-2006, 7:54 PM
I use both. When we took the workshop with Sam Maloof he also used both. It depends on what I am trying to do.

Bob Smalser
01-24-2006, 8:22 PM
What in blazes is a microplane?

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7081299/93859833.jpg

Roy Wall
01-24-2006, 8:35 PM
What in blazes is a microplane?

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7081299/93859833.jpg

Bob -

They're cheese graters (err........wood graters) with a handle. They also come in cylinders to attach to the drill press.

Most generally, they are agressive shavers.

Bob Smalser
01-24-2006, 8:41 PM
Oh. Thx.

No need to buy one. You can tape or rivet together a stack of old hacksaw blades that'll work just as well. An old-timer "microplane" somebody borrowed the idea from, I bet.

Mark Stutz
01-24-2006, 8:53 PM
I actually have a microplane.:o But I bought it long before I ever heard of SMC or ever had any instruction! It turns out my wife has the EXACT same thing for the kitchen to grate parmesan cheese!:eek:

Mike Wenzloff
01-24-2006, 9:18 PM
Hi Zahid,

Though I use more rasps and files, the microplanes do work quick and last well, though they are like toss-away Japanese saws. A good condition quality vintage rasp or file can be restored in all likelihood. That saves on costs over new rasps/files.

Decent new files and rasps can cut as fast or faster, as well as more coarsely or smoother depending on the rasp, than a microplane.

Microplanes are also flexible and can aid in sculpting fluid joints unlike a rigid rasp. And they are relatively inexpensive. I use them at times when I think they'll be of use.

My preference is always the rigid rasps and files. I use the Nicholson 49/50 as well as the Auriou and Grobet. They'll at least last my lifetime.

Take care, Mike

Doug Ketellapper
01-24-2006, 9:41 PM
I have a round microplane for use on the drill press, as well as a rasp shaped one. I also have two I use in the kitchen, a coarser one I use on parmesan cheese and the like, and a fine one for zesting citrus (they are FANTASTIC in the kitchen). Look at them here (http://www.microplane.com/html/index.html), Bob, before you poo poo the idea as something stolen from old times. The original ones basically took the idea of a surform type tool, and added a "blade" that actually cuts well and leaves a smoother finish. The "teeth" on these are like little mini planes, and it takes shavings rather than making dust. As Don says above, they have their place, and I grab it for some things. Traditionalists won't want them in their shop because of their laser cut teeth, and Bailey didn't have the original patent in 1866. I won't say they are better than a file or rasp, just different. In the kitchen, there is no better grating tool that I've ever used.

Bob Smalser
01-24-2006, 9:54 PM
Surform? Surform!

OK...I know what Surform is and have a round one that's pretty handy.

I thought we were talking about those webbed ones with sawteeth on the bottom. Those work the same as my taped hacksaw blades.

Doug Ketellapper
01-25-2006, 1:45 AM
I thought we were talking about those webbed ones with sawteeth on the bottom. Those work the same as my taped hacksaw blades.

HAHAHA. I think your taped hacksaw blades will work better!!!!

Mark Singer
01-25-2006, 4:26 AM
I like the weight and feel of a rasp...I like the pattern they impart on the wood...it seems I am more in control of the form...The Nicholson 49 and 50...which are very similar are very good.

tod evans
01-25-2006, 9:43 AM
rasp vote here......02 tod

Steve Wargo
01-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I too vote for rasps. I have the Nicholson's and have been eyeing some aroiyu (sp) for some time.

Zahid Naqvi
01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
One of the things I am hoping to learn this year is some basic carving, such as a ball and claw foot. I am also working on an open saw handle for a DT saw, and while researching the construction and finishing techniques I ran into a posting about microplane VS rasps. The traditionalists like the rasps because they like the heft and feel, while many new users like the microplanes because they cut smoother and obviously the price.
I figured if they both perform equally well and I have no experience with either, the microplane might be a better option due to the price. I wish I could get to use them before I buy. But the WW'ers around here are mostly electron burners. Maybe I could catch the Nicholsons on sale some time.

A followup question, for something like a ball and claw foot and perhaps some basic shaping what types of rasps do I need, is the #49/50 all I need?

Steve Wargo
01-25-2006, 12:23 PM
A nice set of riffler files, and some sand paper. But, then again I carve horribly, and must clean up a lot of mistakes the safe way.

Aaron Kline
01-25-2006, 6:13 PM
I love the microplanes, but never used a quality rasp like the patternmakers. But buy a microplane like the one with intercahngable blades and see what you think. they're not that expensive and are very handy for me anyway.

Maurice Metzger
01-25-2006, 6:24 PM
I have two that I use for shaping knife handles. I've never thought about them much - is that the sign of a good tool? They're stainless which is nice if you don't use them often.

The knife in the photo was shaped with the Microplane rasps, of course it has since been sanded.

- Maurice

Zahid Naqvi
01-25-2006, 7:10 PM
Maurice, as they say a picture is worth a whole bunch of words, thanks. What would truly help me is if someone who has used both would share their experience. So far a lot of votes in favor of microplanes for grating cheese, but only a handful of opinions from carvers/shapers.

Bruce Branson
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I like mine alot. I have a set of three.But as always hand tools are a personal thing.You will have to either try one out at a store or order one and see how you like it.It took me a while to figure out how hard to push them because they are lighter than a regular file.They don't cost much.

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
I really like the microplanes, both in the kitchen :D and in the shop...but I also don't own any "decent" rasps at this point, either. I have several of the smaller format microplanes and have used them for both rough shaping and "problem solving" as well as for a little bit of carving.

Mark Singer
01-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Zahid,
To learn carving as you stated, start with a Nicolson rasp....this is the traditional shaping tool and should be learned first....IMHO. I have micro plames, surform tools, rifflers, spokeshaves, drawknives and various gouges and carving tools....the rasp is a basic tool that will be rewarding to learn and if you want to try a micro plane...try it.....The feeling is not the same...you need a bit of mass to feel what is happening...recently we went to see Maloof and someone asked him to use a spokeshave....he took about 4 strokes with it and right back to the Nicholson...he has used them his whole life....

Mike Wenzloff
01-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Zahid,

In my first response I mentioned I use both, just I use traditional rasps more. Like Bob, I also use the Shurform, which are just an older style of Microplane.

They all have their use. I find that traditional rasps are quicker, but they are more expensive. Because one can get rasps that are both more coarse and of finer cut, I find them of more use.

And don't forget round and half-round files. You can also get them in coarse, moderate and fine cuts and will fit in places even the Shurform cannot fit.

As well, rifflers are extremely handy in certain situations, especially sculpting and carving--whether it be relief carving or traditional elements on furniture.

My point is, try them all. As someone mentioned, the Microplanes are relatively inexpensive. Even if at some point you pick up some traditional rasps, files and rifflers, the Microplane will still have use.

Take care, Mike

tod evans
01-26-2006, 5:54 AM
zahid, when carving i`ll use any tool to quickly remove the bulk of the waste. die grinders with aluminum cutting burrs are a god-send, a farriers rasp from the local farm supply is a fantastic leg shaping tool, the 49-50`s are more for fine tuning a shape that`s roughed in. all fine detail must be cut with either knives or chisels........02 tod

Zahid Naqvi
01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Ok, so all I need now is a mentor in Arkansas who can give me a kick start in some basic carving, yeah! right :( what are the chances of that.

So can someone recommend a starter set. I am trying to teach myself how to carve a ball and claw leg, I also have a lot of interest in making wooden hand planes. I have made a few shoulder planes, a smooth plane is next.

Ed Breen
01-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Zahid,
We met at the last BBQ. It may pay to hit some of the flea markets and pick up a couple of files and rasps. They run about a dollar or two and for that price you can try them out. Granted they may be old but they will also be more forgiving.
Like some of the others, i have 2 surforms and a fair number of rifflers, rasps and files. (also useful when I try to turn balsa, haha) But I am an inveterate flea marketer and love country auctions.
Good luck
Ed;)

Mike Wenzloff
01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Nearly any old file/rasp can be rehabbed back to a sharper state. In many cases, sharper than it was when new.

Send them to Boggs Tool in CA. Not many dollars. Wonderful service.
http://www.boggstool.com/

Take care, Mike

tod evans
01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Ok, so all I need now is a mentor in Arkansas who can give me a kick start in some basic carving, yeah! right :( what are the chances of that.

So can someone recommend a starter set. I am trying to teach myself how to carve a ball and claw leg, I also have a lot of interest in making wooden hand planes. I have made a few shoulder planes, a smooth plane is next.

if you`re serious about wanting to learn techniques shoot me a p/m and i`ll give you directions:)

Tim Sproul
01-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't have much experience shaping wood but have used files, rasps and microplanes. I find the microplanes are more difficult for close quarters work...such as inside angles and such. The microplanes, in my hands, are more prone to accidentally sliding along the edge than rasps. I've also found they can clog rather easily. I do like them since they are affordable and can really hog off wood. Cheap rasps are really terrible. I've yet to try a good rasp - Aurio or such.

Alan DuBoff
01-26-2006, 2:53 PM
Tim, Seems not long ago you reccomended the microplanes when I was shaping a saw handle. Doesn't sound like they work very well though. Maybe you changed your opinion since?

I'm glad I have my Nicholson 49 and 50, they worked well. I would not hesitate to use them again for the same purpose. They seem like good rasps to me.

Tim Sproul
01-26-2006, 2:57 PM
Alan,

I posted "I do like them since they are affordable and can really hog off wood."

I was trying to provide more information than the very bland 'yes, they work' response.

Brent Smith
01-26-2006, 5:38 PM
Hi Zahid.....I'm in the rasp over microplane camp. I have both but much prefer the rasps. I use Nicholsons and Aurious (expensive, but oh so sweet). I find a better degree of control with them than with Microplanes.

As for learning to make a ball and claw, Taunton has a video by Phil Lowe "Making Ball and Claw", you can get it from any number of retailers or directly from Taunton. In the video he walks you through design right to carving in detail. He also lists all the tools he uses in the carving. I'm sure there's more than one member here who can give you all the info needed on making a ball and claw, but there's nothing that compares to seeing it done, even if only on video.

Brent

Zahid Naqvi
01-26-2006, 7:58 PM
but there's nothing that compares to seeing it done, even if only on video.

Brent

Looks like I might be able to get just that, i.e. help from a mentor.:D

Arthur Guthmiller
01-27-2006, 2:09 AM
The company Microplane, actually started out making wood working tools. I've been using a fine zester in the kitchen for over seven years, and it is still really sharp. I plan on getting some of their products for my toolbox.

aloha,

Bob Johnson2
01-27-2006, 6:54 AM
It's already been said but I'll repeat for added effect. I've done quite a bit of carving, ducks, fish, paddles, and anything else that strikes me. I tried a microplane buying into the advertising and didn't like them. I found they flex more then I cared for (I've only tried one of them, and it's fairly small) and didn't cut like the rasps. As the tools I have do the job I never bothered to try another micro. I do however use a sureform on occation, or even an air grinder. If you'd like to try one, you can have the one I don't use, pm me your address and it's yours.

Zahid Naqvi
01-27-2006, 9:56 AM
If you'd like to try one, you can have the one I don't use, pm me your address and it's yours.

Man what a swell place, someone offers free lessons and now another offers a free tool. Bob I sent you a PM. Much appreciated.:)

Maurice Metzger
02-14-2006, 3:13 PM
Zahid, I was using a needle rasp and a double-cut file to clean up some dovetail pins, and thinking I needed something in between, and I was reminded of this post. Did you ever try out the microplane vs. rasps?

- Maurice

Zahid Naqvi
02-14-2006, 7:52 PM
Zahid, I was using a needle rasp and a double-cut file to clean up some dovetail pins, and thinking I needed something in between, and I was reminded of this post. Did you ever try out the microplane vs. rasps?

- Maurice

Maurice I did try one in a limited way. Bob gave me a round microplane and I bought a flat one this past weekend. I really don't have any high end rasps to compare these with, but over all I like the the microplanes for a couple of reasons.

They cut rather than abrade, resulting in a smoother surface. You can control the dept of cut by varying the pressure on the plane.

On the other hand they are too light and flex too much. I think this is going to be one of those Japanese pull saw VS Western saw debates. Both have pros and cons it's a matter of what feels morte comfortable in your hands.

I messed up a saw handle I was working on so I will start a new one today. I will post a more detailed note once I get to use the microplanes on the saw handle.