PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2022, 7:36 PM
24 Oct 2022

Greetings,
Been spending some time in the shop this past week. Helping a buddy of mine build a kitchen table for his new house. The table is getting made from 8/4 White Oak and is to be 42" wide by 90" long with a top that is 1-11/16" thick after machining the 8/4 rough to something we can use for the top. We hope to have the base assembly finished and start the assembly and glue up of the table top surface. He wants breadboard ends so that will be something that I haven't done much of over the years, so I guess I'd better study up on how to do that once again.
I started oncall duty for the day job today and I hope it all goes smoothly this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
10-25-2022, 7:57 PM
Sounds like a nice table project, Dennis!

My week was more of the same...puttering on things with the new shop building while patiently waiting for my final inspections. Electric service went in last Friday finally. Once the inspector does what they do, I can get working on wiring, etc.

Bruce Wrenn
10-25-2022, 8:46 PM
Sunday night finished up 10 days of State Fair, with a BBQ for over 300 the day before the fair. Spent yesterday loading out and getting stuff home. Will spend the rest of this week and part of next putting everything back into storage till next year. Only wood working was building a set of modular steps for cook trailer at the fair. Modular means they can be taken apart (no fasteners, think like Lego's) for transport and storage. For BBQ, added a second shield over burner in pig cooker, which totally stopped flare ups from dripping grease. It wasn't exactly fun cleaning cold pork grease out of cooker before storing it away till next year. Used a drywall knife and a cardboard box to hold old grease, which will be added to burn pile. Burn pile is pine cones, and storm debris, which is now the size of a small car. Covered with a tarp, and as soon as it rains, will take tarp off and burn pile. Using my Drill Doctor, sharpened some bits that had been lying there screaming to be sharpened. A sharp bit is a pleasure to use.

William Lessenberry
10-26-2022, 12:04 AM
After years of searching I finally found an affordable used 8" jointer in good condition within 200 miles of me. So, a 6 1/2 hour road trip to southern Missouri and back home on Saturday to get it.
Went to the Arkansas State Fair on Wednesday with the grand boys and had a good time looking at livestock and watching them ride the rides.
This week's project is to put the new/used oil pan on my '51 Ferguson so I can move it out of the shop and use it to take the jointer out of my truck. No I'm not gonna tell you why the tractor needs a new oil pan. :o:(
BillL

Eugene Dixon
10-26-2022, 9:54 AM
Spent the weekend at the Klingspor Woodworking Extravaganza in Hickory NC demoing wood turning for the hundreds (maybe thousand) of visitors. I was with the NCWoodworker.net group. Met some experienced woodworkers and some newbies. Earlier in the week, I fired the Husqvarna 65 with the bow blade and cut a bunch of white oak saplings to use in demoing small trees. Note to self: at my age, trying to run a full tank of gas without stopping through a 65 is a bit of a workout. Shut it off. Take a break. On the other hand, the bow blade is great (YMMV). I also learned that one of my chains is stretched beyond adjustment limits.

Paul F Franklin
10-26-2022, 1:00 PM
Still working on outside stuff, taking advantage of a week of pleasant weather. Sprayed an area of the house roof for moss and did the same to the barn/shed roof. Re-assembled the leaf vac and did the first pass on the leaves. If I don't keep up with them they get so deep the tractor just pushes most of them aside and I end up making more passes than if I just keep up with them. Washed all the windows. Started putting together a "shed in a box" as a place to store the skid steer for the winter. Used to store it in a nearby barn, but the owner is selling and doesn't want to store stuff this year. Put all the hoses away and winterized the pond pump. Cut down all the cattails around the pond. Only shop time was spent doing PM on the sawstop...cleaned and lubed everything and checked the alignment of everything. Plan to get moving again on the console bookcase project once the outside stuff is done for good.

Mike Stelts
10-26-2022, 4:16 PM
My wife needed 62 bluebird kits for a Master Gardener fundraiser.

Jim Becker
10-26-2022, 4:26 PM
My wife needed 62 bluebird kits for a Master Gardener fundraiser.

That's a lot of slicing and dicing, Mike!

Mike Stelts
10-26-2022, 4:35 PM
It was worth it. She learned firsthand why I bought a Felder slider.

Moses Yoder
10-28-2022, 10:00 AM
It was worth it. She learned firsthand why I bought a Felder slider.

you bought a Felder slider way before you knew about the 62 bluebird kits