PDA

View Full Version : Any Incra Ultra Router Table fence experts out here?

tim walker
10-25-2022, 6:36 PM
I am having a bugger of a time with my initial set up. I raise the suggested bit to the recommended original depth of cut, in my case 1/2" 10 deg DT bit. Suggested setting depth is 1/2". I slide the fence so that approximately one half of the bit is exposed, setting my scale to "0". Distance between cut is 13/16". Easy enough. I make both cuts and there is a gap. Heighten to tighten as they say so I raise the bit about 1/64. Now my gap has gotten wider instead of tighter. Going crazy over this. Any ideas about what I could be doing incorrectly? Maybe my set upis wrong? Both pieces are 3/4" thickness.

Randy Heinemann
10-25-2022, 6:52 PM
Not sure, but if you have the DVD video Incra at least used to send and watch that several times you may be able to figure out what you're doing. No offense, but just making sure that each time you retry the depth of cut with a new setting, you are doing a fresh cut, not running the previous cut through with just a new setting.

Jacques Gagnon
10-25-2022, 7:17 PM
Tim,

Having spent some time fine tuning my Porter Cable jig last week, I ran into the adjustment game, chasing millimeters (or even microns😱)!

Is it possible that the « heighten to tighten » is actually formulated for the router in « normal » position (i.e. base plate on the table)? If so the adjustment you are looking for is « less deep » which then translates, to « lower to tighten » if you router is upside down. Not sure if this is the case.

Regards,

J.

tim walker
10-25-2022, 7:37 PM
Thought of that, but the phrase was written in regards to a router table. And Randy, yes doing a fresh cut every time. Following the DVD (now on YouTube) to a T.

Randy Heinemann
10-25-2022, 7:50 PM
Thought of that, but the phrase was written in regards to a router table. And Randy, yes doing a fresh cut every time. Following the DVD (now on YouTube) to a T.

I'll keep thinking about it, but based on your description of what you did, I can't come up with anything, especially since I've never had that particular experience. The first couple of times I did half-blind dovetails (assume that is what you are doing), I put the video in front of me and stopped it at each step, did the step, then ran the video to the next step. I did find the process a little complex, especially to start with.

tim walker
10-25-2022, 9:30 PM
So after about 10 trial and errors, I finally got it to work. Apparently was raising the bit nearly enough. Willpost pics of finished project in a week or so.