PDA

View Full Version : What 2 plus HP plunge router should I get?

Rich Engelhardt
10-24-2022, 10:55 AM
I'd like to pick up a 2hp or more plunge router.

It's for hand held use. I already have DeWalt and Makita compact routers w/plunge bases and a Milwaukee 5625-20 in my table.

Makita makes a 3 plus HP plunge router and I can use the adapter ring from my compact Makita in it so I can use PC guide bushings.

I've heard/read here a lot of good comments about the Bosch 1617EVSPK. Is there an adapter for that to use PC guide bushings or does Bosch make their own?

The late Pat Warner thought a lot of the DeWalt routers - are they still decent? I know my DeWalt 611 has been great.

Festool is a bit out of my reach, It would be different if I didn't have & use the compact routers so much & have so much tied up in them.

decisions - decisions.....

Steve Demuth
10-24-2022, 11:17 AM
The Bosch is excellent, and the adapter you require is readily available. For the money, I don't think you can beat it.

Lloyd McKinlay
10-24-2022, 11:27 AM
Last spring I needed variable speed so I purchased a Bosch MRP23EVS. My other routers are older Triton (router table) and Porter Cable's. The first time I used the Bosch it easily became my favorite. They do have their own guide bushing set.

Edit. Just checked my email, Acme Tools has the Bosch 1617 at 15% off ending today.

Jim Becker
10-24-2022, 7:17 PM
For a dedicated mid-size (12 amp) plunger, the DW621 is been around "forever" and is well liked. Triton has expanded their lineup recently to include at least one dedicated mid-size (12 amp) router. Now if you stray from "dedicated plunger", you can pick your color preference with a plunge base from any of the players.

I gotta admit, however, that I really love my Festool OF1400 in nearly every way.

Curt Harms
10-24-2022, 7:42 PM
Dedicated plunge I think the DeWalt (Actually an Elu, B&D bought Elu as I recall) DW621 has been a long time favorite as Jim mentions. Triton sells a couple plunge only routers that include integral lift mechanisms which make them popular in router tables. I could see the lift mechanism being handy for freehand work if it worked smoothly. I don't find it easy to make fine free hand adjustments for bit depth on a plunge base.

Would a combo fixed base/plunge router interest you? DeWalt sells a plunge/fixed base/D handled kit. They're the only ones that include a D handle. The DeWalt plunge base looks like the same one used for Porter-Cable 89x plunge bases and it plunges pretty smooth with surprisingly good dust collection. Bosch sells a fixed base/plunge router but I don't see a D handle if that interests you. I haven't used either, my routers are 100% Porter Cable - well, except for a Grizzly fixed base/plunge trim router that I bought 'cause it was on sale for I think $79 with both bases. I use that little thing quite a bit.

Jim Becker
10-25-2022, 10:08 AM
Curt, I have that DW618 three base kit and although I primarily use just the fixed base when I need a tool with a lower center of gravity, the D-handle is indeed handy (pardon the expression) for edge work and the plunge base is pretty good. I suspect it's not quite as good as the dedicated DW621 plunger (originally Elu decades ago as you note) but it's pretty good.

Michael Drew
10-25-2022, 12:59 PM
I think I collect routers. Not on purpose. Knowing what I know today, just save your pennies and get the Festool. It is a joy to use.

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2022, 2:12 PM
I used potercable routers before I bought a festooned 1400.
Never going back.

George Bokros
10-25-2022, 3:33 PM
How about Milwaukee 5616 or 5619 router. Plunge base is available for sur for 5616.

Prashun Patel
10-25-2022, 3:42 PM
...festooned 1400. Never going back.

Andrew, you are the Dandy Woodworker!

Rich, if you go Bosch, there are adapters you can buy to match the PC bushings. That hasn't been a big deal for me. The Bosch is the oldest of the routers I own (5) and I still find the plunge action the most reliable, intuitive and cleanest. It's not that it's MILES better than the others, but I do notice it. On the downside, the Bosch I have requires 2 different sized wrenches. That's a bit of a pain and non-standard with some of the others I have.

The 2.25hp Dewalt I have is amazing on paper. It's got that dust chute (which doesn't work for me). I find the plunge action non-intuitive. What's nice is the single wrench collet change.

Derek Cohen
10-25-2022, 4:12 PM
There cannot be many with experience using a wide range of router makes. Therefore we mention the few we have used, without comparing one against others. My own experience is so limited.

I have two brands of routers, four Elu (which is now Dewalt), which are all about 25-30 years old, and a couple of Makita trimmers. The Elu I recommend in the 2 hp range is now the Dewalt 612. It is my absolute favourite router, with a smooth action, excellent depth setting, and fantastic dust control. I have the large Elu (now the Dewalt 625) for hand use and also in a router table. These are very powerful, surprisingly nimble for such a large machine, but still too large for most handheld jobs. I recommend the Dewalt 612.

For interest, Elu 177e (Dewalt 625), MOF97 (Dewalt 612), MOF96 ….

https://i.postimg.cc/3RsJzDnF/Elu-177e-MOF97-MOF96.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Hooker
10-25-2022, 4:54 PM
I think I collect routers. Not on purpose. Knowing what I know today, just save your pennies and get the Festool. It is a joy to use.

I agree about Festool. I have the big OF2200 which is superb - smooth and very controllable even when used by hand with lots of clever features. Yes, its expensive but you really do get what you pay for. Dust extraction is excellent too.

Jim

Jim Becker
10-25-2022, 7:34 PM
The Elu I recommend in the 2 hp range is now the Dewalt 618.

Just to clarify, the DW618 is a standard 12 amp router motor that has three different bases available...fixed, D-handle and plunge. The DW612 is the former Elu 12 amp plunger.

Derek Cohen
10-25-2022, 7:45 PM
Thanks Jim! I’ll correct my reply.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rich Engelhardt
10-26-2022, 4:52 AM
How about Milwaukee 5616 or 5619 router. Plunge base is available for sur for 5616.
Does Milwaukee even make a plunge base for any of their routers - other than the compact one?
I searched for them on the Milwaukee site and on some of the Milwaukee dealer sites.

George Bokros
10-26-2022, 7:56 AM
Sorry Rich my mistake, I have the 5615 which is 1 3/4 hp and have a plunge base for it.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-26-2022, 8:26 AM
Agree with Derek, most of us have a strong bias with routers towards the ones we have.

That being said, in an effort to get two of the same routers for a dovetail jig, the question was considered in my shop. Ended up buying a couple Bosch 1617 plunge/fixed base kits. Comparing them to the Milwaukee 5616 plunge/fixed base kit, and the Dewalt (Elu) 621 plunge that I already had, I did notice a few things.

Spindle lock - Dewalt has it, the others don't. Seems such a simple addition, no idea why it's not standard on all routers. I prefer it, but from what I can tell, 90% of routers don't.
Power switch - Needs to be convenient and in the same spot regardless of depth. You've probably seen a router that adjusts by screwing up and down in the base, which changed where the motor mounted switch is. All of mine are ok. The Dewalt is a weird click, twist thing though that I still don't completely like, the Milwaukee and Bosch are just a rocker.
Automatic speed control - I hate it. The Dewalt has it, it adjusts in steps, with a delay. IT's a useless feature, I would not pay extra for it. Other two do not have it as far as I can tell.
Low center of gravity - Tippy routers are no bueno. The Milwaukee and the Bosch are both pretty good. Of course a plunge base makes them more so, but something like the Triton plunge has much higher handles than the Bosch and Milwaukee plunge bases.
Power - IMHO, if you need a router bigger than 2hp, you probably need a shaper. Bigger routers get more awkward, so I limit mine to the 2 1/4 class. No noticeable power difference in the three I'm comparing.
Base - The Dewalt has a gigantic hole in the base and its oddly shaped. I've yet to like that, more often than not I'm hating it. A simple round base give more options.
Plunging mechanism - I really like the Dewalt plunge stop adjustments. It's a finely adjustable system, simple and intuitive. The Milwaukee is much courser and not nearly as good. The Bosch is somewhere in between. All three plunge smoothly and lock solidly.

Conclusion? There is no perfect plunge router. Plenty of functional choices though, and there really isn't much difference between the "leading brands". I like blue though, so...

Thomas Wilson
10-26-2022, 9:12 AM
I bought a Bosch 1617 variable speed more than 20 years ago. As I remember I chose it because it was FWW’s Best in a review of plunge routers at the time. It is been great for my moderate use. I recently bought a second Bosch 1617EVSPK that is the successor design to my first so I can have two setups at once. I like the fine adjustment and the turret stop for the plunge mechanism.

Bosch recently came out with a newer model so the older ones are discounted. On Amazon, they run about 20% off. With fixed and plunge base it is $200. Link (https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MToyOTEwMTk1OTIwOTI2NzU0OjE2NjY3ODgyMDI6c3BfYX RmOjIwMDAyOTQ2NDk1ODA5ODo6MDo6&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&url=%2FBosch-1617EVSPK-Woodworking-Router-Combo%2Fdp%2FB00005RHPD%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3Fkeyw ords%3DBosch%2B1617EVSPK%26qid%3D1666788202%26qu%3 DeyJxc2MiOiIyLjU1IiwicXNhIjoiMS44NyIsInFzcCI6IjEuN DUifQ%253D%253D%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1)

I have a set of Bosch bushings plus the adapter for Porter Cable. As I recall, the PC adapter is two separate parts that you have to order. Runs the price up a bit.

Prashun Patel
10-26-2022, 10:37 AM
yes, Milwaukee 5616 has a plunge base available. I bought the kit that included plunge and fixed bases. I use this router in my router table. It's fine. The motor has worked fine.

I agree with the comments that we are all biased towards the routers (and cordless drills) we have.