PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Paste Wax Alternative

John A. Schaefer
10-24-2022, 10:14 AM
I've had a can of good old Johnson's Paste Wax since I started woodworking, but at this point it's almost gone and may even have some contamination.

I went to buy a new can and I cannot find it locally. I did some digging and was shocked to see it's discontinued. Per another WW forum, this came directly from SC Johnson:

I’m sorry to share SC Johnson Paste Wax® is no longer being made. While I understand it was a product you used, unfortunately, we had to make the tough decision to stop making it. That said, your continued interest has been shared with the team.

We’re always working on new and exciting products and sometimes, in order to make room for them at the store, we have to decide which ones to take off the shelf. It’s a decision we don’t take lightly, and consumer and retailer interest helps us choose which stay.

It's not listed online except on AMZ from 3rd parties asking over $60 a can!! :eek:

Since I'm not going to pay $60 for a can of wax and I need something very soon, I'm looking for some recommendations on alternatives. Thanks.

Al Weber
10-24-2022, 10:33 AM
I have a can of Minwax brand paste wax that seems to be equivalent. Not sure when or where I purchased it and haven't checked online.

Dave VanDewerker
10-24-2022, 11:47 AM
I have had a can of Minwax forever.
https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-785004444-Finishing-1-Pound-Natural/dp/B000LNOZAW

Rich Engelhardt
10-24-2022, 12:02 PM
I have heard that Renaissance -RenWax - is the filet mignon of waxes. It's sure priced that way.
But, yeah MinWax and SC Johnson were almost the exact same thing.
I got lucky for once in my life.
I bought a can, then couldn't find it when I needed it so I bought another. A few months later, I needed it again & couldn't find either of them so I bought a third one.

Every once it a while one or two of them will pop up in a load of cra...I mean a well organized and indexed tool storage area - ...

Richard Coers
10-24-2022, 12:14 PM
I've had a can of Butcher's Wax about as long as my Johnson's. It works the same but has a stronger smell since they use turpentine. It's now sold as Bowling Alley Wax, but a little pricey at $30 a pound, but once again it will be a lifetime purchase.

Robert Hayward
10-24-2022, 1:13 PM
I tried a can of this, Lundmark Carnauba Paste Wax, when my JPW ran out. So far good stuff. As a test I put it on the bed of my jointer that is in an unconditioned out building. Went through the entire hot humid Florida summer without a trace of rust on the cast iron. Super slick surface on the jointer and my table saw. The wax appears to be very hard as well. I did all the cast iron machine tops shortly after the jointer and have not felt the need to reapply yet, a few months.

Marc Fenneuff
10-24-2022, 1:14 PM
I too was shocked to see that it was discontinued. I have a half can left that I'm reserving just for cast iron surfaces. I've begun using Minwax paste wax on wood instead. I will also keep my eyes peeled at yard sales and such for more Johnson's.

mike calabrese
10-24-2022, 2:08 PM
I have both Johnson's and Minwax. They are similar but I find the Johnson's is better overall too bad it is gone.
I have used this product Fron Tried & True. It does a very nice job easy to apply but it is a linseed & bee's wax finish that thinks it is a polish. It leaves a very nice finish that can be buffed up nicely with a soft cloth.
Here is a link to the product
https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/original-wood-finish/
mike calabrese

John A. Schaefer
10-24-2022, 4:37 PM
Thank you all for the recommendations. I guess I should have specified that this is for my cast iron tools and not for projects - I like Odie's for that.

I was going to check out the Minwax, since I can get it locally today, but the Lundmark looks intriguing.

Steve Jenkins
10-24-2022, 5:38 PM
Check Harlywax. It’s an easy to apply carnuba

Curt Harms
10-25-2022, 9:49 AM
Available at Woodcraft

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/crystal-clear-wax?via=61e739bc61707000752aa1bb%2C5d112e45776f6f2 c7b000622%2C5d11334a776f6f70870017d7

Alan Lightstone
10-29-2022, 7:39 PM
Available at Woodcraft

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/crystal-clear-wax?via=61e739bc61707000752aa1bb%2C5d112e45776f6f2 c7b000622%2C5d11334a776f6f70870017d7

Bowling alley wax??? As an ex-professional bowler (don't ask), I can speak for hours about oil patterns on lanes. If wax was used on them, that's news to me.

Curt Harms
10-30-2022, 10:48 AM
Bowling alley wax??? As an ex-professional bowler (don't ask), I can speak for hours about oil patterns on lanes. If wax was used on them, that's news to me.

SWMBO who has more experience than me with wood finishing felt the wax from Woodcraft dried to a smoother harder finish. True or not I don't know.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-31-2022, 9:26 AM
I’ve used both Minwax and Brewax. Both are excellent but Minwax is cheaper.