PDA

View Full Version : She pulled the $$$ trigger on the DVR...now what?

Glenn Clabo
01-24-2006, 6:16 PM
So last night I was talking to DRLOML about my new adventure (she already calls it an addiction btw) and asked why she felt the need to wait until Feb to buy me a birthday present. Of course I slipped in the fact that our local Woodcrafters rep agreed to give us the Feb 4th 10% discount now and that I could use my 10% birthday discount present on some other stuff. Her eyes got a little big...and her breathing got a little shallow...but being a nurse she asked for the well used paper bag and recovered somewhat quickly. Even though she still hasn't recovered from trying to lift the FEDEX box from some guy named John (does he really have a Hart?)...she ordered it. It will be here next week!

Anyway...if I were to buy myself a birthday present/s with all this money she's saving ;) ...what would be on your list of things I need to get moving? I have some ideas from (who the heck is this guy and why is he bugging me with all these questions) Carole and I have some basic tools...a buffer...bench grinder...and a bench top (built this weekend) in need of a bottom to hold sand. Tools ain't no big deal...I'm an old metal spinner so I can make about anything I think I need.

Thanks for all the help...and DRLOML thanks you. (Well I don't really speak for her...and I wouldn't ask her if you meet her either:D ).

George Conklin
01-24-2006, 6:36 PM
Way to go Glenn. Your going to need a good chuck. How about the SuperNova. Don't forget, you'll need the 1-1/4" adapter to go along with it to fit your spindle. Both made by Teknatool, but it needs an adapter. Go figure:rolleyes: .

George

Andy Hoyt
01-24-2006, 7:18 PM
All right Mrs. Dear Love of His Life Nurse Lady! Be sure to tell Glenn what you want for your birthday.

Glenn - You'll need really good lighting. These (http://www.turningwood.com/light_stand.htm)are a bit pricey, but with pricey you get awesome.

Keith Burns
01-24-2006, 7:30 PM
Now what?..Now what? Now you have gone over to the dark side from which there is no return:eek:

Curt Fuller
01-24-2006, 9:59 PM
Plant a money tree!

John Hart
01-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry about the Fedex Box Mrs. LOHL.:( I promise I won't do it again. I've switched to UPS!;) :)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, that will be exciting and what a lathe!!!

Corey

Dick Parr
01-25-2006, 8:00 AM
Congrats on the DVR, you are going to love it. It's a fine lathe that will handle anything you put to it.

Email if you have any questions about it.

The real fun is about to start.;)

Bob Noles
01-25-2006, 8:07 AM
Glen,

Sounds like you have a couple of keepers..... A DVR and a good woman:)

Glenn Clabo
01-25-2006, 8:31 AM
I'm sorry about the Fedex Box Mrs. LOHL.:( I promise I won't do it again. I've switched to UPS!;) :)

Now you are in REAL trouble... It's Dr. LOML...:D

George Troy Hurlburt
01-25-2006, 8:42 AM
Way to go Glenn. You will enjoy that tilt head, better on the back and you have room with out the tailstock getting in the way. There is a group devoted to Nova & DVR owners. You can gleam a lot of information there. GT

http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners

Charlie Plesums
01-25-2006, 10:18 AM
...what would be on your list of things I need to get moving? I have some ideas from (who the heck is this guy and why is he bugging me with all these questions) Carole and I have some basic tools...a buffer...bench grinder...and a bench top (built this weekend) in need of a bottom to hold sand. ..
I got my DVR because my wife expressed interest in doing bowls. I have let her have a turn on it a couple times.

My most used tool, by far, is a bowl gouge. I got the Sorby 3/8 inch, but if I were doing it again, I would go for 1/2 inch... the heavy metal is a big help. Get a sharpening jig - don't expect to be able to do a good job by hand.

Based on Bill Grumbine's recommendation, I got the One Way Talon chuck, which works just fine on the Teknatool lathe (I love it). As with all the high end chucks, you have to pick the adapter (that normally comes with it) to match the threads on your lathe.

I have meant to build a better base for my DVR, but it is still sitting on the old table that I put it on when it arrived. You will know when you need to upgrade, but you can do a lot with "any" stable table, especially if you round your bowl blanks on the band saw.

Mike Ramsey
01-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Plant a money tree!
Before I started back down this turning road I had a small
money tree!! But I cut it down to make a bowl :D

John Hart
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Now you are in REAL trouble... It's Dr. LOML...:D

Ok...Now the picture is clearer. My dad is a Doctor.....And he always got mad when I called him "Dad". I get it now! :)

Glenn Clabo
01-26-2006, 1:15 PM
Even worse... she is a nurse with a PhD. It's so confusing to most people that they think they have to call her Dr. Nurse. But I know better...

Mike Whitman
01-26-2006, 2:58 PM
woe the acronyms...

when I saw the thread, I thought someone got a new DVR, = Digital Video Recorder. So much to learn, so little time...

Congrats !!