PDA

View Full Version : Installing casters on oak kitchen table chairs.

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 11:17 AM
I installed some grip ring post case on the legs of some of kitchen table chairs 5-6 years ago. 3/8" existing hole in the leg. The post on the caster will not pull out of it's socket, so I was planning on replacing the complete assembly. The ball roller balls are leaving black marks on the floor now so I am replacing the casters with a threaded post so they are easier to replace going forward.

I went with a 3/8" threaded post caster and I am using t-nuts in the legs to receive the threads. I am sure the hole for the barrel of the t-nut is big enough. The problem now is when I drive in the t-nuts the spike on the t-nut is splitting the wood on the leg. Just slightly, one of four on two chairs I have tried so far. I've glued up the split, but looking for ideas on how to get this in without splitting the wood? Can I clamp the leg from both sides while I drive in the t-nut to keep it from splitting?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Brian

Steve Jenkins
10-23-2022, 11:20 AM
What about using a threaded insert instead of a t nut

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 11:34 AM
What about using a threaded insert instead of a t nut

Thought about that, but thought over time the t-nut might hold up better? Another idea just now is to plug the existing holes with a dowel, re-drill and use 1/4 threaded post caster, t-nuts etc. Smaller barrel and spike, but no way of knowing if this would not split the leg either. thanks brian

Jamie Buxton
10-23-2022, 5:43 PM
Drill pilot holes for the spikes on the T nut. Pick a bit size that clears some of the wood out of the way of the spike, but not so large that the T nut falls out.

… and if it starts falling out, put epoxy on the loose spikes and tap it back into the leg.

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 7:33 PM
Drill pilot holes for the spikes on the T nut. Pick a bit size that clears some of the wood out of the way of the spike, but not so large that the T nut falls out.

… and if it starts falling out, put epoxy on the loose spikes and tap it back into the leg.

Jamie, great suggestion, thank you. Brian

Brian Runau
10-24-2022, 10:55 AM

Jamie: worked like a charm, thanks again for your help, much appreciated.