PDA

View Full Version : Secrets to staying busy in retirement?

Frederick Skelly
10-23-2022, 9:58 AM
Hi guys,
I didnt want to hijack Mr. Potter's thread about being 80, so I'll ask the question here.....

Im years from retirement, and conditions could certainly change. But I worry, because I've seen more than one relative retire and then decay/die by just sitting on the sofa. I understand it can be hard to motivate oneself at 70+. But I wondered if anyone has suggestions for HOW to stay engaged and active.

My relatives all knew they "should" get a hobby, a social group, etc. But they just couldnt break the sofa habit. How do you folks do it? For example, do you "force yourself" to go find new places to socialize? Do you just keep trying different types of volunteer work until you find one that suits? Etc.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but Im hoping to get some experienced advice.

Respectfully,
Fred

Jim Becker
10-23-2022, 10:15 AM
Frankly, I never got into the "sofa habit" thing so it wasn't something I personally had to worry about. It's a rare day I watch anything on TV other than the morning news and that's while I'm still in bed. (Professor Dr. SWMBO does watch some things on her iPad to keep her mind occupied for health reasons I'll not go into here but doesn't retire until the end of this academic year. I retired at age 60 five years ago) I'm pretty much doing things constantly at this point, but I'll admit that over the last year, I was sitting a lot more at the computer because of not having a shop available for larger projects and only having so many "home improvement" I wanted to tackle. I am a "voracious" fiction reader, but that happens at night, in bed.

I absolutely agree with staying active in some way, socially or otherwise. Regular walking, participating in activity(s) and hobbies, volunteering, working part time for mad money, travel and/or regularly visiting museums/galleries/zoos/whatever, etc., are all good ways to do that. That doesn't mean not enjoying TV/movies, etc., but schedule that stuff, rather than just becoming a snacking lump glued to the sofa and screen. :)

Alan Lightstone
10-23-2022, 10:28 AM
For me, the lack of socialization was/is an issue. I went from talking to approximately 50 people a day in the hospital, to one during the pandemic (my wife), and I joke that there are days she doesn't want to talk to me.

I had/hobbies, which is clearly important, and was planning on a lot of travel. That was put on hold for the pandemic, but should be restarting very soon. Make it more than one hobby, as some get more difficult as you get older.

Exercise, of some sort, is important. Taking care of your health is very important. If you have a good primary care doctor see her/him. Follow their advice. Check out your heart. Take the appropriate medicines to reduce your risk of bad things happening (e.g statins, high blood pressure medicine). If you don't have a pet, get one. Lots of dogs and cats that need adoption and a good home. Nothing like the love of a good animal. After that, it's all up to your genes and not stepping in front of a bus.

Dave Anderson NH
10-23-2022, 10:30 AM
I would suggest getting active both socially and in a hobby or hobbies well BEFORE you retire. That way retirement is just a continuation of your lifestyle. The other helpful thing is to get involved with things that interest you which you never had time for in the past. In effect, the "bucket list" everyone talks about. I personally volunteer at the local VA Medical Center one day a week, sit on a town committee, administer and coach American Legion 10 meter Olympic Air Rifle, and am involved in the Guild of NH Woodworkers. I fill out some of the other time with actual woodworking, yard and garden work, heavy reading, and yes, vegging out occasionally. Some small amount of wasted veg out and down time is not a sin.

Mike Henderson
10-23-2022, 10:45 AM
My wife has a list of projects for me that will keep me occupied until I'm 100:)

But seriously, we have a fairly large property and there's always something to be repaired. Then I do woodworking and beekeeping. I also have two dogs and they have to be fed and walked twice a day. Other stuff also pops up, especially requests for help from neighbors and my wife. I don't know where the day goes sometimes.

I'm not a joiner so no advice on getting involved with organizations. But there are lots of organizations which are doing good things and need help.

Mike

Tyler Bancroft
10-23-2022, 10:52 AM
Many universities offer cheap or free tuition for seniors. Never too late to learn something new! And it's pretty well-established at this point that regular, cognitively-demanding mental activity is beneficial in the aging process.

Roger Feeley
10-23-2022, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but Im hoping to get some experienced advice.

Fred, this may be one of the least dumb questions I can imagine.

My experience is unique.
— I live 40 feet from my daughter and grandkids. There’s no shortage of “Daddy do’s”
— My house has a 976 first floor with a 1300 sq ft shop below. So it’s really easy for me to wander down to the basement and make or fix something.
— I never truly identified with my various paying jobs. They were interesting, entertaining things that I did to make money. So walking away in the end involved little pain. As a friend put it, “I don’t miss the rat race but I do miss the rats.”
— my wife and I are both in decent health. We travel a bit more. We’ve been taking the grandsons on trips which is fun.

Im on the autistic spectrum so I’ve never had a circle of friends. I have my wife and family which is enough for me. I belong to the local maker space (NOVA Labs) mostly to use the big laser engravers. If I ever want to be social, I could hang out there.

Steve Demuth
10-23-2022, 1:43 PM
A funny thing happened to me on the way to retirement. When I reached my early 50s, I realized that the reasons that had compelled me to work were almost entirely satisfied - we owned our home and farm in the clear, the kids' and wife's (mid-life edition) education were all payed for (an endeavor that cost our family more between age my 40 and 52 than everything we've spent on our home and farm in 40 years), and we had sufficient savings to cover the cost of 30+ years of retirement. But I kept working anyway, but looked for jobs where I could actually believe that what I was doing was a significant contribution to a bigger, valuable-to-others scheme of things. It felt good - good enough that I poured myself into it, and didn't have time to fully engage in the farm, or woodworking. Things slid and piled up. So when I did retire, at age 66 (couldn't keep up with the younger minds any longer), I had plenty to do - projects that never get done (or started), really manage the orchard and vineyard, harvest wood from the forest for woodworking, refit the shop, learn some new techniques, and time to take advantage of all the marvelous self-directed on-line learning available nowadays on just about any subject you care to indulge in. Then too, unfortunately, there was more energy needed for medical assistance for my wife, who has contracted a couple of different cancers. Finally, I could also just enjoy NOT having to interface constantly with dozens to hundreds of other people (I'm an extreme introvert - if I talk to one person per month outside of my immediate family, that's not too few, but my job was all about leading, mentoring, and directing, so very people intensive).

So, I have never been bored, but the thing is, I really derived energy from feeling part of that bigger cause, and none of the stuff I am doing now (other than the wife-care) is for anyone other than the two of us, and mostly me. So, it feels kinda empty.

So, my advice is, understand why do whatever it is that you do, and look for post-retirement options that scratch that itch, not just ones that occupy the mind and body. The is latter is good and necessary, but the thing that will keep you going is the former.

Greg Funk
10-23-2022, 2:19 PM
As you get older I think quality of life is important. For me that means staying fit in order to continue to do the things I enjoy. Cycling has been a great way for me to stay in shape and socialize. I've been riding with a local group at least once a week for the past 15 years while working and semi-retired. Riding with a group of fit cyclists keeps me motivated to stay in shape. A core group of us usually travel to Europe or other interesting locations for an intensive cycling vacation every year. Great opportunity to see the sights and eat and drink ample quantities without gaining weight. Highly recommend cycling if you can find a group of like minded individuals to ride with.

Keegan Shields
10-23-2022, 2:31 PM
Best way to stay busy when you retire is to get a job. 😁

But seriously, the people who retire and don’t have anything to do seem to die sooner based on my non scientific sampling of people I’ve known. Might just be me.

Jack Frederick
10-23-2022, 2:34 PM
Like Alan, my difficulty upon retiring at 70 was/is the loss of all those folks I dealt with on a daily basis. Today, I work for my girls. One wife, two daughters and they keep me busy. I work out and dropped 25# over the last couple yrs. First off though is to get out of bed and get moving. I have to get things going in the am as my energy level fades as the day progresses. I am never in the shop evenings.
I recently went with a friend to help him pick up his new 15” Grizzly planer. The son was selling his fathers gear. The father in anticipation of retirement completely set up a shop, bought a lot of wood and nice tools and upon retiring sat in front of the tv smoking and drinking until he passed. A shame really.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-23-2022, 2:34 PM
I met two gentlemen from the DC area on the Katy Trail the other day. They were kicking off their retirement by cycling across Missouri. No E-bikes, No hotels or B&Bs. Tough, happy guys, carrying all their camping gear, self sufficient, and smiling!

Carroll Courtney
10-23-2022, 3:50 PM
Here’s my secret, myself I hope to move to Toledo Bend Lake which my place is rocks throw from water but no view. It’s what I could afford, which taxes be little cheaper and no river authority fees. I use to be on water fresh water fishing every weekend till had kids, and sports. Crappie are very good eat, which I also use go bass fishing all time. My place that I am building will be my 32’x38’ wood/ metal shop. Which I enjoy trying make projects that I visualize going into the Smithsonian. Plus having grandkids is a blessing. But if I don’t hurry they won’t be kids anymore. I talk about what I’m going to do, but I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s want woodwork and fishermen.Find something you enjoy or try something completely new that get you off couch/TV and computer. Just like you were saying I also witness others who retired and cut their life short by not doing anything

Jim Koepke
10-23-2022, 4:12 PM
But I worry, because I've seen more than one relative retire and then decay/die by just sitting on the sofa.

But seriously, the people who retire and don’t have anything to do seem to die sooner based on my non scientific sampling of people I’ve known. Might just be me.

It is just you. A lot of people from my former work place retired and did little to nothing and were gone in less than a year.

At one time my plan was to work possibly until turning 65 or 70. Work was wearing me down so my decision was to retire before turning 58. My coworkers were told that no one was going to give me any more years of retirement for staying longer. At first it was a bit of a struggle financially. We have a greenhouse so we propagated plants and made things like potting benches and Adirondack chairs to sell at the local farmers market.

We have a wooded area on our property in back of the house for an enjoyable place to walk. My cat likes to go there with me.

Often there is nothing better than to putter in my shop. Sometimes it is making things, sometimes fixing things. Sometimes it is splicing a blind eye on the ends of a piece of rope for my truck. Sometimes it is tying a monkey fist knot to play with the cats.

That is a larger monkey fist for tying to the end of a line for tossing over a limb or to a dock. It was an experiment to see how much fishing line was needed to cover the end of the splice. FYI, it took about ten feet on the left side. For the cat toy a 1/4 inch rope or smaller cord is used. For dogs a bigger knot is usually fine. A lot of these were given to people whose dogs didn't want to give them back. :D

There is always something to do in the shop, garden or greenhouse.

For me it was also enjoyable to go rust hunting and find old hand tools to fix up and sell for some extra income.

jtk

Jim Becker
10-23-2022, 4:43 PM
As a friend put it, “I don’t miss the rat race but I do miss the rats.”

^^ This is spot on. I'm truly thankful for social media as it's very much helped me stay in touch with a number of "work" friends post retirement, just as it's done the same for relatives and childhood friends from school, etc.

I'm on the autistic spectrum so I’ve never had a circle of friends.

I also do not have a lot of local friends and with one exception those I do I met online in forums like this. One of them who recently moved to this area and also just retired (quite early as I believe he's under 60 by a few years) actually came over today to help me pull the Ethernet line through the conduit between the house and the new shop building. He's only one month into retirement and he's struggling with exactly what the OP asks about "as we speak"...what to do; how to stay busy; whether to get another job, even part time; etc. We talked about it for a bit after completing the task. I expect I'll be keeping him busy on days when he has access to their one vehicle. :) :D

Lee Schierer
10-23-2022, 5:29 PM
Once the honeydo and house renovations are done (are they ever); there are lots of volunteer opportunities out there. For instance, our church has a group of men that meet every Tuesday morning and take care of the landscaping and minor repairs at the church. There is also Habitat for humanity, they welcome volunteers to help with their builds. Locally we have a ramp building organization that provides free ramps for those homes that need them. When the need is finished, the remove the ramps and recycle the parts that are in good shape.

You can be as busy as you want to be when you retired. I have very few days where I have nothing to do.

Whatever you do avoid boredom as that leads to eating and eating leads to sitting in an easy chair.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-23-2022, 5:59 PM
My observations of past and present Seniors in my life.... the ones that were more active prior to retirement age stayed as active, or became even more active after they retired. These were people who were generally happy in life and would participate in social or group/club activities. Even the ones that became legally blind and/or legally deaf or had other physical limitations ... they would still engage in neighborhood or town events as long as they had a driver.

The ones who were generally not happy in life, didn't have hobbies or activities, and avoided social/group situations were the ones that hunkered down even more after they retired.

It's fine to hunker down with a good book for the weekend or binge watch something on TV, but there needs to be a balance to get out and enjoy a walk with the dog, or visit with friends or family, or explore a museum or farmer's market too.

Rich Engelhardt
10-23-2022, 6:14 PM
Sit down in October and try to figure out Medicare options.
That will keep you busy until the following August - when you can spend a couple of months gathering up all the documentation you need for October....

I'm only half kidding.

Why they insist on making that whole process as complex as it is escapes me.

The other thing is - get used to taking a nap. My nap is the highpoint of my day.

roger wiegand
10-23-2022, 6:18 PM
I can't even imagine how I once had time to go to work (much less the 60-80 hour weeks I used put in). I routinely have to prune hobbies and activities, as they just continue to proliferate -- everything is just so interesting! I'm in the shop about 50-60 hours a week with an endless backlog of projects (completing a year-long restoration of a self-playing 1930's Belgian cafe dance organ this month), interrupted by 2 to 3 multi-week trips somewhere each year. (At the Marc Adams School learning welding and wood finishing right now); I watch TV perhaps an hour or two a month, but do lose a lot of time to youtube videos on how to do things I'll probably never get to as well as old industrial processes.

The sad truth is that I seem to no longer have enough time to go fly fishing, another hobby I have loved over the years.

roger wiegand
10-23-2022, 6:23 PM
Sit down in October and try to figure out Medicare options.
That will keep you busy until the following August - when you can spend a couple of months gathering up all the documentation you need for October....

I'm only half kidding.

Why they insist on making that whole process as complex as it is escapes me.

Must have missed something, I signed up seven years ago now (took an hour at the time) and haven't given it another thought since. The choices I made then just roll over to the new year and I haven't had cause to think about changing them.

John K Jordan
10-23-2022, 6:27 PM
…I've seen more than one relative retire and then decay/die by just sitting on the sofa. I understand it can be hard to motivate oneself at 70+. But I wondered if anyone has suggestions for HOW to stay engaged and active.

My relatives all knew they "should" get a hobby, a social group, etc. But they just couldnt break the sofa habit. How do you folks do it? For example, do you "force yourself" to go find new places to socialize? Do you just keep trying different types of volunteer work until you find one that suits? Etc.

Respectfully,
Fred

I’m 72, been retired 16 years. My solution: buy some property with a decent house and an old barn. Get animals to take care of. They keep me busy and give me lots of exercise!

I started in ‘04 with two goats and a horse. I built good fencing and today have 4 horses, 6 llamas/alpacas, three mini donkeys, chickens, guineas, turkeys, peacocks, and beehives (plus dogs and cats). The baby horse, over 6 months old now, is almost a full-time project! (it’s weaning time…)

I move about 350 bales of hay twice every year (once when storing and again when feeding), countless 50 lb bags of feed, and walk 5 miles a day on average. I went about 14 years without watching even an hour of TV.

I realize this lifestyle isn’t for everyone but can be VERY rewarding and soul-satisfying, might require a built-in love for animals! But I guarantee it provides motivation (assuming you care about the animals’ wellbeing!)

I also love teaching and helping others which leads to socializing opportunities. For example, a few days ago I was able to help a gentleman with some metalworking. We had a wonderful time!

JKJ

Bill George
10-23-2022, 6:29 PM
Been retired 15 years now. I have always had a shop and hobbies. I am 79 and build the steel frame out of Unistrut and welded it together for my first solar electric generation system. Six panels (600 watts) mounted with LiFePO batteries and 2000 watt low frequency heavy duty invertor. I have three other panels not mounted but portable.

Also have a new 30 watt Galvo fiber laser to learn, and of course my other CNC interests

Frederick Skelly
10-23-2022, 6:57 PM
This is all great stuff guys. Thank you!
Fred

Rich Engelhardt
10-24-2022, 4:49 AM
The choices I made then just roll over to the new year and I haven't had cause to think about changing them.Consider yourself either blessed - or - healthy enough you haven't needed your coverage.

Bernie Kopfer
10-24-2022, 12:30 PM
Many excellent observations and suggestions here! My experience of being retired for 10 years has been very positive probably due to a great deal of volunteer work and a emphasis on staying fit. Volunteering to help the common good is rewarding and also provides a socializing opportunity. For me the feeling of being needed and useful minimizes the opposite.

mike calabrese
10-24-2022, 2:19 PM
All here are very good suggestions. The first thingI would suggest you to do is don't panic.
The next thing would be to think about the time you were at your work and wished you could be somewhere else doing something you would enjoy.
That could be the best opportunity to enter into something that could keep you happy for a long time.
And lastly once you retire your thought process will change completely. You will start complating activities that you never allowed yourself while working because you knew all you could do (while working at your job) was run to the end of your work chain and bark at your dreams. When you retire the chain goes away run with it.
mike calabrese

Jim Koepke
10-24-2022, 4:21 PM
Another thought, check with your health care provider to ask about "silver & fit." It is a program that provides free gym membership so you can exorcise regularly. In my area it is done through the YMCA.

jtk

Jim Becker
10-24-2022, 6:53 PM
Just to add an element to this conversation, staying busy isn't just about physical fitness and not becoming a couch potato. It's really important to keep one's mind "fresh", too, so participating in things that are actually interesting, enlightening, engaging, etc., is a really good step for maintaining "overall" health. The cognitive rehab that folks who are experiencing some level of age related dementia is a good example of formalizing this, but there's no reason why all of us cannot benefit from similar mental stimulation, too.

Larry Frank
10-24-2022, 8:24 PM
Retirement is one of the major moments in our lives and one that many are not prepared for as there are so many decisions that need to be made and some well before you retire. My wife and I started seeing a great financial advisor early on and it was very helpful. What are you going to do in retirement depends on what you can afford to do, what you are healthy enough to do, and what you want to do.

I think planning is critically important for retirement. For me, I have continued to do hobbies from before retirement such as making sawdust and gardening. Your health is another consideration. Unfortunately, I suffer from back issues and chronic pain but still enjoy my hobbies. Just as important as what you will do is what your spouse will do.

There is no easy answer but one should spend significant time before retirement to investigate and try different things.

Dwayne Watt
10-24-2022, 8:24 PM
I read (and hear from recently retired friends) that some folks equate working on/cleaning the house or in the yard as their plans for retirement. That concerns me. Those are chores, not long term activities. Do I have retirement figured out...probably not after only a couple of years, but having reasons to get up and "DO" something is imperative. Keeping the mind active as well as the body is important. As a long time woodworker, I have about filled the house with furniture and cabinets so I have embarked on more artistic works by using a lathe and getting actively involved in a local turner's club. I watch TV/movies in the evening because I enjoy that. I travel a little bit. I sleep soundly at night. I like life!
When I first retired, a long time friend gave me some very good advice for the first few months of retirement. Sit back a bit, de-stress, read a book...most importantly, make no rash/impulsive decisions. Start to implement your retirement plans or solidify them, ramp up hobbies or start new ones, but again most importantly remain engaged in the new chapter of your life. It is not simply a long vacation.

Larry Frank
10-24-2022, 8:25 PM
Retirement is one of the major moments in our lives and one that many are not prepared for as there are so many decisions that need to be made and some well before you retire. My wife and I started seeing a great financial advisor early on and it was very helpful. What are you going to do in retirement depends on what you can afford to do, what you are healthy enough to do, and what you want to do.

I think planning is critically important for retirement. For me, I have continued to do hobbies from before retirement such as making sawdust and gardening. Your health is another consideration. Unfortunately, I suffer from back issues and chronic pain but still enjoy my hobbies. Just as important as what you will do is what your spouse will do.

There is no easy answer but one should spend significant time before retirement to investigate and try different things.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-24-2022, 8:35 PM
Just do not wait too long to do the things you have dreamed of. Dad and F.I.L. both worked well into their 80's. If health and mind hold out they may still have some fun ahead.

Stan Calow
10-25-2022, 11:40 AM
In the end, everyone has to find what works for them. What I tell friends who are getting ready to retire, is that your world shrinks, and the time it takes to get things done, expands to fill your time. Days are long, but the weeks are short.

I retired early 7 years ago, and thought I had a good plan for what I'd be doing. Travel was a priority, and I thought I'd have infinite time for my hobbies, including woodworking. Travel was good, until the pandemic. Somehow, I lost a lot of motivation for the hobbies, so probably spend less time than before. Fell into the couch trap, just reading books, and cruising Netflix and forums like this one. I am not a socializer, so did not miss being around a lot of people. What I did miss was being involved with issues and projects that were technically challenging and working with a variety of smart people. I could not get motivated for puttering and house chores.

But then I joined the local community center, where I can walk the track, swim, pickle ball, fitness center. Took yoga classes, adult education classes, and went to grad school online for another degree (GI Bill). During the days of the lockdown, I started the day off with a 30-minute language lesson on Duolingo (free). I joined a couple of organizations that host regular video conferences on subjects of interest. I'd get a small, part-time job if I could find one with low responsibility, and flexible schedule.

My BIL likes to volunteer. He drives for the VA hospital, helps a couple of charities, helps at church, helps neighbors with small chores, and maintains a rental property. So he is busy every day and likes it that way.

Ron Citerone
10-25-2022, 12:04 PM
6 years into it and keeping busy is generally not an issue, there is always something to do. Winter is tough for me as I have a heart condition and can’t exert out doors. I have 4 work buddies I retired before. They all asked what will they do with all the time? All 4 have retired and none have had a problem filling their days.
To anyone who feels bored my advice is find a part time job or force yourself to find something to do. It’s your life! Enjoy it!

Gordon Dale
10-25-2022, 2:47 PM
Unfortunately I suspect most of the people who will read this thread are already retired or about to be retired. But a successful retirement starts long before that last day at work. As the old saying goes: too soon old, too late smart. Two things in particular matter when you’re young: protect your health and protect your wealth. What did I reap from years of combat sports? Pain every day in my sixties. What did I reap from a focus on saving and investing? A modestly comfortable (for now at least--who can say what the future will bring?) retirement.

The OP asked about keeping busy, and there have been many suggestions about that. Keeping busy is one thing; finding meaning, well that’s something else altogether. If you define who you are by what you do for a living, it’s going to be difficult when you retire. So start on that early too.

One last thing, a sense of humor helps. You get old, you slow down, things aren’t what they were. So what? I try very hard not to become a grumpy old guy. When my father was in his late eighties I took him grocery shopping. In the produce section he said to me: the definition of an optimist is someone of my age who buys green bananas. And then he laughed.

glenn bradley
10-25-2022, 4:07 PM
Like some others here I am not a TV watcher. I have accidentally watched more TV since my wife retired (wandering through the room on the way to and from whatever I am doing) than in the preceding decade or so. I imagine this contributes to how one spends their time when they retire. Also like others I have enough on my list to last me way past the point that I will be able to do it. It is a matter of priorities; what do I really want to get done before I am too slow, blind or deaf to do it . . . :D. I come from some long-living stock so I imagine I will get all the home furnishings done that I really care about. After that the priorities start to fall off rather quickly.

Tom M King
10-25-2022, 5:51 PM
I'm not really retired at 72 now, since I have several people waiting on me to do some work on old houses that they want me to do, but I don't have time for that because I have too much to do around our place. I can't imagine having nothing to do. I don't know when I'll have enough time to go back to work.

Frederick Skelly
10-26-2022, 6:57 AM
Thanks again guys. All of these are helpful insights to me.
Fred

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2022, 4:38 PM
My observation is that there are two kinds of people: those who view time as something to be enjoyed, and those who view time as something to be filled.

And, on average, time-fillers truly suck at retirement. (They're not necessarily great at their jobs either, but that's a different discussion.)

Perry Hilbert Jr
10-30-2022, 3:07 PM
I used to think retired folks just sat around or played chess in the park. Been retired for 7 years and still can't find enough time in the day. Up at 4:30 am, to make breakfast for my wife, who won't retire for another 5 years. Then after she leaves for work, I make breakfast for myself. Clean up the kitchen, throw a load of laundry in the washer and get dressed and head out to the barn to feed and water the animals. When i get back, it is time to move the load of laundry to the dryer, or hang it up to dry. Then most mornings, I work in the shop for a couple hours. Then water the plants around the house. there are 78 at last count. I also propagate new plants from cuttings. it is like a business for me, but the plants I grow and ornaments and things I make are donated to charity to raise money. About twice a week, I take a spin to check on and help out some friends. On the nice days I take the Harley. About noon, if I haven't already, I plan dinner and do initial prep. I have a yard that takes 2 hours a week to mow in the warm months. Wood turners and Lions clubs take up 3 evenings a week and often one weekend day for fund raisers. There is another trip to the barn, fixing farm equipment, stacking wood, hay whatever. On days that Mrs. has off from work, we either bike or walk in local parks. She quilts, so I am often making something to assist her quilting, or driving her to another fabric shop. About ten years ago, we stopped buying presents and make them now. Sometimes the learning process to make something is fast sometimes not. Making for each child and grandchild is a time consuming effort.

John Goodin
10-31-2022, 10:06 PM
My mother use to say, "When your dad retires he will just sit in the chair and watch TV. He won't have a purpose and will be dead in six months." Six months after my dad retired my mom called me and said, "You dad is never home, he is always gone, I saw him more when he worked full time." Turns out he started volunteering, helping friends and going on mission trips all over Central America and the US. They were the best years of his life.

Ron Citerone
11-01-2022, 1:29 PM
My mother use to say, "When your dad retires he will just sit in the chair and watch TV. He won't have a purpose and will be dead in six months." Six months after my dad retired my mom called me and said, "You dad is never home, he is always gone, I saw him more when he worked full time." Turns out he started volunteering, helping friends and going on mission trips all over Central America and the US. They were the best years of his life.

Great story there John. I think what you point out is retirement isn’t what the retiree or his family expects it will be. Also retirement is not one thing, it keeps changing depending on life circumstances. When my wife retired 2 years after me, retirement changed. When my Grandkids were born, my retirement changed again, and will continue to change going forward I suppose.

Bruce Wrenn
11-03-2022, 8:25 PM
Be married to a woman like my wife. Each day she comes up with something new to add to my list of undone things. List keeps getting longer rather than shorter.

Bill Dufour
11-08-2022, 1:25 PM
Medi care has the free silver sneakers program that gives you a free gym membership. Seems like a good thing to try even if just to walk inside the gym on bad weather days. Also a good chance to socialize with younger folks. It is free so you do not have to go everyday to get your money's worth.
I would think you could join a nation wide gym so you can go in when visiting family in another town. Or take a swim in a heated pool after a long drive to get somewhere scenic.
Bill D.
Maybe in three years.

Bill Dufour
11-08-2022, 1:27 PM
One thing I do enjoy about being older is I can start a conversation with a pretty young women and it is not creepy. We both know I am not trying to put the move on her so we can be honest.
Bill D

Ron Selzer
11-08-2022, 8:52 PM
One thing I do enjoy about being older is I can start a conversation with a pretty young women and it is not creepy. We both know I am not trying to put the move on her so we can be honest.
Bill D

Yup, altho having women hold the door open for me has taken some getting used to, been long enough now I don't say anything other than thanks
Ron

Bill Dufour
11-11-2022, 3:12 PM
My wife asks for stickers when she goes to the doctor or dentist, gets a flue shot etc. She keeps them in her purse . if she sees a kid being good in a restaurnat etc she gives a sticker to the parents to reward the kid.
Sometimes I will see a mom with a misbehaving kid I will tell her thank you for not giving in. Some day the kid will understand, we hope so at least.
Other times I see a mom dealing well with multiple kids and shopping bags. I will say in passing you are a good mom and doing a good job. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mom. The Mom usually is too busy to acknowledge it until I am long gone. A few times they wave at me in the parking lot.
BillD
Bill DF

Bryan Hall
11-13-2022, 1:07 PM
For me, I expect to be working until my hands won’t work anymore. Not full time, and not because I need to, but because I enjoy the experience. I fully expect to be the old man socializing at makers markets with small items I’ve made until I die.

Beyond that, I jokingly consider myself a professional athlete that is sponsored by myself. I work so that I can surf, wingfoil, Kiteboard, snowboard, climb, hike, paddleboard, camp with my dog, play games with my wife. As such, “retirement” just means My sponsorship has been upgraded and my brand requirements have been decreased!

Frederick Skelly
11-13-2022, 3:19 PM
My wife asks for stickers when she goes to the doctor or dentist, gets a flue shot etc. She keeps them in her purse . if she sees a kid being good in a restaurnat etc she gives a sticker to the parents to reward the kid.
Sometimes I will see a mom with a misbehaving kid I will tell her thank you for not giving in. Some day the kid will understand, we hope so at least.
Other times I see a mom dealing well with multiple kids and shopping bags. I will say in passing you are a good mom and doing a good job. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mom. The Mom usually is too busy to acknowledge it until I am long gone. A few times they wave at me in the parking lot.
BillD
Bill DF

Great idea Bill! I'll bet it makes a small difference in their day. Love your wife's idea too,

Frederick Skelly
11-13-2022, 3:21 PM
For me, I expect to be working until my hands won’t work anymore. Not full time, and not because I need to, but because I enjoy the experience. I fully expect to be the old man socializing at makers markets with small items I’ve made until I die.

Beyond that, I jokingly consider myself a professional athlete that is sponsored by myself. I work so that I can surf, wingfoil, Kiteboard, snowboard, climb, hike, paddleboard, camp with my dog, play games with my wife. As such, “retirement” just means My sponsorship has been upgraded and my brand requirements have been decreased!

Nothin' wrong with that! Sounds like you'll be as busy as you want to be - and I think that's key.

Myk Rian
11-15-2022, 4:12 PM
I took up WWing, restoring vintage machines for the shop, astronomy, and for the last few years I've been building some motorized bicycles.

There's always things to do around the house. Walks, bike rides, fishing, range time. The last thing you want to do is sit around waiting to die.

Derek Meyer
11-16-2022, 5:30 PM
I bowl in leagues, have for 30 years, and plan to keep bowling in leagues as long as I can. It's a great way to interact and socialize with a diverse group of people of all ages and walks of life. Plus it gets you a bit of exercise, and gives you something to focus on and try to improve on, if you are willing to put in the work.

Rich Engelhardt
11-20-2022, 6:25 AM
Medi care has the free silver sneakers program that gives you a free gym membership. Seems like a good thing to try even if just to walk inside the gym on bad weather days. Also a good chance to socialize with younger folks. It is free so you do not have to go everyday to get your money's worth.
I would think you could join a nation wide gym so you can go in when visiting family in another town. Or take a swim in a heated pool after a long drive to get somewhere scenic.
Bill D.
Maybe in three years.
Medicare doesn't provide Silver Sneakers - SS is part of your Advantage Plan or your supplement plan.

You have to check carefully about the Silver Sneakers coverage.
Some (United Healthcare/AARP) dropped Silver Sneakers a few years ago. They really were dirty about it also.
They didn't tell anyone during the enrolment period it was going to be dropped starting in Jan. and a lot of people found out too late they no longer had a SS account.

They have their own version that may or may not be honored by gyms/pools in your area.

Jim Becker
11-20-2022, 9:30 AM
Well, I found something to help with the occasional "busy" requirement...joined the Borough Planning Commission. :eek:. A neighbor is an elected Borough Council member and has been involved in the Planning Commission for many years now. She apparently "hand picked" me, twisted my arm to observe a meeting and, well...it seems interesting.

Stan Calow
11-20-2022, 12:57 PM
One thing I do enjoy about being older is I can start a conversation with a pretty young women and it is not creepy. We both know I am not trying to put the move on her so we can be honest. . .

According to the waitresses I flirt with, they do think its creepy, they just recognize that I'm harmless.🙁

John K Jordan
11-23-2022, 10:03 AM
On NPR I listened to an interviewer of an author (Steve Lopez) who wrote a book on the subject of retiring. Quite enlightening about why some people are happy in retirement and some are not.

Independence Day: What I Learned About Retirement from Some Who’ve Done It and Some Who Never Will

The book: https://www.amazon.com/Independence-Day-Learned-About-Retirement-ebook/dp/B09N8RVS42

The interview transcript: https://www.npr.org/2022/11/22/1138590067/to-retire-or-not-to-retire-a-journalist-goes-on-quest-to-figure-out-whats-next

JKJ

Jim Becker
11-23-2022, 10:06 AM
Best advice I can offer to anyone facing retirement...it's not "the end"...it's "the beginning". Treat it accordingly.

roger wiegand
11-23-2022, 11:14 AM
Well, I found something to help with the occasional "busy" requirement...joined the Borough Planning Commission. :eek:. A neighbor is an elected Borough Council member and has been involved in the Planning Commission for many years now. She apparently "hand picked" me, twisted my arm to observe a meeting and, well...it seems interesting.

At least in our town that's about as thankless a task as one could get, right up there with school committee. Bless you!

Jim Becker
11-23-2022, 8:28 PM
At least in our town that's about as thankless a task as one could get, right up there with school committee. Bless you!

The pay is high (zero) but it's at least interesting to me. There is one fellow on the commision that I do feel is going to be, um...interesting...to work with. While most members are pretty middle of the road, this particular guy swings one way "really far", without getting into details since we don't discuss politics here at SMC. I'll see what it's really going to be like in January when the next topic is to review the transportation section of the ten year plan to see how it's tracking with reality. Which reminds me...I probably should start reading it. LOL

Jim Koepke
11-24-2022, 4:11 PM
My dad used to volunteer at his town's visitor center when he lived on the Olympic Peninsula many years ago. He learned a lot from others about businesses all over the Peninsula and knew a few places for me to take Candy hunting for antiques & rust.

jtk