PDA

View Full Version : Finished my head and foot boards. Couple questions next steps.

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 8:14 AM
I plan to add the vertical detail like on the head board in the picture of the finished dresser top below. Foot board will just have a horizontal piece running over the legs, no vertical piece.

1. Curious how much overhang you would design in? Post is 3-1/2" square. Nightstand is a 1" overhang.
2. For the staining/finishing process. I am considering doing these with the head/foot board upright, but a little concerned how unstable they might be with me rubbing stain and finishing against one side. Concerned about stain getting on backside surfaces if I lay it down on my bench top even if I support it off the top.

Thanks for your input.

Brian

Bob Riefer
10-23-2022, 8:36 AM
Looks really good so far Brian!!

I recently applied finish while the piece was upright as you are wishing to do, and found that fastening "skis" to the bottom of each leg was well worth the effort. In my case, I was later going to be adding leveling feet, so I was just careful with how I installed the skis, using a long drywall screw and pre-drilling. I was then able to clamp the skis to my workbench and work on my piece without fear of it tipping over.

Phil Gaudio
10-23-2022, 9:56 AM
Here is pic of headboard attached to bench using threaded rod through the bed-bolt holes. A discussion of the joinery used for this headboard can be found on page 14 of this month's Fine Woodworking.
https://i.postimg.cc/bvWVLFv1/IMG-3221-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/d7R9V6r0)

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 11:08 AM
Looks really good so far Brian!!

I recently applied finish while the piece was upright as you are wishing to do, and found that fastening "skis" to the bottom of each leg was well worth the effort. In my case, I was later going to be adding leveling feet, so I was just careful with how I installed the skis, using a long drywall screw and pre-drilling. I was then able to clamp the skis to my workbench and work on my piece without fear of it tipping over.

Bob, thanks this would work for me, real easy. thanks brian

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 11:09 AM
Here is pic of headboard attached to bench using threaded rod through the bed-bolt holes. A discussion of the joinery used for this headboard can be found on page 14 of this month's Fine Woodworking.
https://i.postimg.cc/bvWVLFv1/IMG-3221-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/d7R9V6r0)

Phil, nice piece. Good idea, but my hardware is different. thanks for the idea. Brian

Roger Feeley
10-23-2022, 12:04 PM
Brian,
when I made our headboard, I cut out the back side of the legs to allow for the base molding so the headboard snugs up to the wall.

Mel Fulks
10-23-2022, 1:54 PM
I would put “something “ on top of the headboard to give it some “regal” height. Maybe a diamond lattice. Grandeur has to have height.
Lots of ways to do that , like a “cannonball “ on each post ,with a tall pyramid in the center … and perhaps the sun above that.

Myles Moran
10-23-2022, 2:18 PM
Brian,

I did a headboard that I put a cap on. Well it was a 2 layer cap, with a total of 1" added between the two layers. I ended up hating it, because i like to throw the pillow behind my back and sit against the headboard. In this case the headboard ended up with a pressure spot on my upper back or neck, depending on how good my posture was that day. If you're going to cap it, I'd recommend taking that into consideration if the headboard.ight get used like that.

Brian Runau
10-23-2022, 3:22 PM
Brian,

I did a headboard that I put a cap on. Well it was a 2 layer cap, with a total of 1" added between the two layers. I ended up hating it, because i like to throw the pillow behind my back and sit against the headboard. In this case the headboard ended up with a pressure spot on my upper back or neck, depending on how good my posture was that day. If you're going to cap it, I'd recommend taking that into consideration if the headboard.ight get used like that.

Myles, thought about that when designing and got it bed and measured the height of my head in bed and seemed OK. Problem now is as designed how do I just cap the leg without it looking odd since the panel is same height as the leg. Brian