PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Question

Michael Gibbons
01-24-2006, 5:07 PM
How much vibration is acceptable in a bandsaw? I have a Delta 14" w/enclosed stand. I installed a link belt which helped. The saw is on a mobile bases that have the rubber feet at one end that touch the ground when the base is in the down position. Could those let the machine rock? The pulley that is attached to the lower wheel on the backside (that the link belt runs over) seems to be a little out of whack, just a little. Does anyone think I might need to order a new a new pulley from Delta and change it out? The two main wheels run smoothly. How about the rubber tires? Replace?

Mike

Chris Dodge
01-24-2006, 7:22 PM
If you have the money then change them out. They cant be that expensive. But the real question is, "How does it cut?" If your bandsaw is cutting great then do you really need to make any changes? I have an old Rockwell bandsaw that is in beautful condition and cuts like it was brand new. It required some work to get it that way but if your's cuts great now then don't mess with it.

Hunter Wallace
01-24-2006, 7:40 PM
Hey Micheal,

I have the Delta 14" and I HAD the mobile base that came
with it. The first time I fired that puppy up I thought it may
shake itself right over. I checked the alignment of the belt
& pulley & it was fine. I checked the wheels for round best
I could and still, shook like crazy. So I yanked the Delta mobile
base out from underneath it, shimmed one corner (why is it that
floors are never level???), turned it on and from that point on
it can pass that nickel test folks talk about (although I haven't
actually tried it;) ). So, from my experience those rubber feet
on the bottom of that mobile base are just WAY too, well, rubbery!
Try that before you go too crazy trying to figure out if the
problem's with the machine....

Murray Hensch
01-24-2006, 8:02 PM
Hello Michael,

Check out products from Louis Iturra of Iturra Design...He has great products for improving the Delta 14" bandsaws, and even discusses supercharging the bandsaw (i.e. different motor pulley that he sells). No web page - but the phone number is 888-722-7078. I recommend getting a catalog that also contains Delta 14" bandsaw history information...

Rick Shelton
01-24-2006, 8:03 PM
I had similar problems. I cut some small triangles of rubber floor mat and put them between the BS and mobile base. Now I don't have any vibration problems. YMMV.

Bill Webber
01-24-2006, 9:26 PM
How much vibration is acceptable in a bandsaw? I have a Delta 14" w/enclosed stand. I installed a link belt which helped. The saw is on a mobile bases that have the rubber feet at one end that touch the ground when the base is in the down position. Could those let the machine rock? The pulley that is attached to the lower wheel on the backside (that the link belt runs over) seems to be a little out of whack, just a little. Does anyone think I might need to order a new a new pulley from Delta and change it out? The two main wheels run smoothly. How about the rubber tires? Replace?

Mike
Pull the wheels off and check their balance. I've only owned two bandsaws (not counting the MiniMax) The Sears wheels were out of balance and I strapped on weights to get it right. I still have a 14 inch Delta. I took the out-of-balance wheels back to the vendor and he agreed to replace them. But, when he gave me the new wheels, they were as bad as the originals. I balanced the old ones by drilling some holes on the heavy side. Simply remove the wheels and spin them on a shaft (like a round shaft screw driver) If it always stops spinning with the same point down it is not balanced. You will see drill holes where the factory did basic balancing. Drill holes like that or strap weights (like different size bolts) to the top side.
I doubt rubber feet or the tires have anything to do with your problem.

Bill W.

P.S. When I suggest strapping on weights, I mean strap them on securely, like with a metal hose clamp...

Jeffrey Makiel
01-25-2006, 6:59 AM
I'd bet my bottom dollar that it is your mobile base. I have the same issue with my bandsaw. Thing is, bandsaws are very tall machines with a high center of gravity. This magnifies the small amount of wobble in the mobile base.

Remove the machine from the base and place it on the floor before you do anything drastic to it. Make sure all four corners of the base are touching the ground. It won't cost you anything (except perhaps a few slipped discs.) :)

cheers, Jeff