PDA

View Full Version : Arborist and the big walnuts

Jack Frederick
10-22-2022, 1:02 PM
Our place has a 50” diameter walnut 13’ off the corner of the house which we are the current caretakers of. To say that it is “overhanging” the house is the mildest form of understatement. This has become a big deal for my wife which of course means it is a big deal for me. Once again, she is right;) We had our arborist out yesterday to inspect the bole of the tree and he did a test to check the internal state of the wood using the Resi F400S. It penetrates to 14” and he did samples in quadrants on the tree. It records density on its paper. We were only able to get 28” depth out of the 50” but we found no clear voids in that wood. He also tested its twin shown in the photo with the ladder up its side. It too showed solid wood, but less density. That one sits on the property line and shades the neighbors house nicely. Problem is that the tree leans heavily to his side. Also PG&E were kind enough to run their power lines through the branches. I don’t want to do it but I am afraid I will have to take the one on the property line as if anything happens I don’t want to harm my friends but I also don’t want to have to buy them a new house. I asked for a quote to take it down and should hear back soon. On the tree by the house we are going to reduce its outer branches while keeping balance and encourage interior growth. All you can really do with trees like these is try to take care of them and keep your fingers crossed.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-22-2022, 1:21 PM
Those look and sound like beauty's! It is a situation where insurance has real value. You are certainly not being negligent so if one comes down you should be protected. The rules are rather counterintuitive regarding trees, property lines, and Acts Of God.

Bill Dufour
10-22-2022, 7:35 PM
Let the landlord deal with it. AFASIK since it is not diseased if it falls it is an act of god and who ever it hits has to pay the cleanup cost.
PG&E may take it down for free.
They took several trees down, for free, under the wires on my brothers property. They had a private contractor come and do it. While they were there my brother paid them a few hundred to take out more. They charged less since they were there anyway.
Bill D

John Goodin
10-23-2022, 1:14 AM
I know, based on a bad experience, in Florida tree owner’s are not responsible for damage to neighboring property. Insurance does not pay for tree removal, just the damage caused by tree falling. I paid 6,000 to remove a 3 foot diameter oak from my the backyard of parents’ house. That includes what fell on the neighbors.

Roger Feeley
10-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Ssame here in Virginia. If the neighbors tree falls on your house, it’s your problem. Our neighbors tree fell over on to our property and the neighbor paid for removal because they thought it was the right thing to do. Their neighbors tree fell on their property and the owner said it wasn’t their problem.

Bill Dufour
10-24-2022, 11:15 PM
AFAIK If you contact the tree owner and tell them the tree is in danger of falling it then becomes their problem. Of course you will need proof of informing them and more then just a wild guess or everyone would tell every tree owner neighbor there is "danger Will Robinson, danger.
Bill D. Not Will

Mel Fulks
10-25-2022, 12:13 AM
AFAIK If you contact the tree owner and tell them the tree is in danger of falling it then becomes their problem. Of course you will need proof of informing them and more then just a wild guess or everyone would tell every tree owner neighbor there is "danger Will Robinson, danger.
Bill D. Not Will

It’s really old law ,and still used. Modern way to make it all legal …and skip some yelling , is to send them …’just the facts”. By certified mail.