PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Sam Maloof...

Art Mulder
01-24-2006, 3:43 PM
Born January 24th, 1916. 90 years old, and still producing amazing stuff.

Wish I could meet him sometime, but I doubt it is gonna happen. From what I've read he seems like a really fine gentleman, as well as being an amazing woodworker.

I'm about halfway through reading "Furniture of Sam Maloof" by Jeremy Adamson. It is a pretty decent biography of the man, but I do think it goes way too deep into a blow-by-blow account of some of the different craft shows/meetings he attends. I was hoping for something more like C.Becksvoort's amazingly detailed book "The Shaker Legacy". (ie: more furniture photos and descriptions!!)

Is there a better book out there that gives us a look at his different work and techniques? Hey, I just double-checked amazon and I see that Taunton is putting out a book on Sam Maloof in February!

Sam, I salute you! May you keep enjoying your work.
...art

Lee DeRaud
01-24-2006, 3:50 PM
Is there a better book out there that gives us a look at his different work and techniques? Hey, I just double-checked amazon and I see that Taunton is putting out a book on Sam Maloof in February!

Sam, I salute you! May you keep enjoying your work.
...artStraight from the horse's mouth, so to speak:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870119109/qid=1138135112/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-5373407-7828913?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
I've got a paperback copy signed by him...wish I had a hardback, but they're out of print and start at $150 used.

Jerry Clark
01-24-2006, 4:10 PM
I am glad that Sam and I have something in common-- and it ain't fine wood working- like he does.-- We share the same birthdate- NO- not the same year :D Happy Birthday to us both!;)

Don Baer
01-24-2006, 4:19 PM
I just got back from the Maloof compound. Today was the dedication of the Maloof Education center. Well it's not built yet but they did the ground breaking today. Sam looked good, was the perfect host and true to his promise they had "In and Out Burgers"...:)

John Bailey
01-24-2006, 8:55 PM
Happy birthday Sam.

John