PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Coated Slides

Ken Krawford
10-20-2022, 4:07 PM
Before I give up, does anyone make full or 7/8ths extension epoxy coated drawer slides?

Jamie Buxton
10-20-2022, 6:07 PM
At some time in the past, those existed. The ones I have may be 35 years old. I didn’t like them at all.

Matt Day
10-20-2022, 9:50 PM
I recently replaced all my epoxy slides with full extension, slow close drawer slides. Sooo much better.

Rich Engelhardt
10-21-2022, 8:16 AM
I recently replaced all my epoxy slides with full extension, slow close drawer slides. Sooo much better.I have to agree with this.
Along with the Kreg installation jig(s), they are so much easier and quicker and less demanding.
The full extension have a smudge factor built in. You can be as much as 1/4" (1/8" per side) off on the width of the drawer & they compensate for it.

Ken Krawford
10-21-2022, 6:01 PM
I was looking for something that could be used outdoors in a covered environment. I may have to bite the bullet and get some stainless ones.

Ken Krawford
10-21-2022, 6:03 PM
Richard, what brand of slides will allow those tolerances? I’ve never seen anything that forgiving.

I have to agree with this.
Along with the Kreg installation jig(s), they are so much easier and quicker and less demanding.
The full extension have a smudge factor built in. You can be as much as 1/4" (1/8" per side) off on the width of the drawer & they compensate for it.

Rob Sack
10-22-2022, 4:23 AM
I was looking for something that could be used outdoors in a covered environment. I may have to bite the bullet and get some stainless ones.

I just built some outdoor cabinets and stainless steel slides are the way to go. I was not able to find any undermounts, but Sugatsune offers a decent selection of side mount slides in 3/4 and full extension.

Rich Engelhardt
10-22-2022, 6:04 AM
Richard, what brand of slides will allow those tolerances? I’ve never seen anything that forgiving.Ken, I'm 99% sure it was just the stock Richelieu side mounts. They have mounting tabs that just work great if you messed up putting the carcass together.
I ran across a Youtube video where the guy claimed the 1/8" per side. The pantry I used them in was off by about 1/2 that amount & they worked great.
So did the Kreg jig. I can't praise that Kreg jig enough. It makes attaching the slides to the drawer mindlessly simple.

Ken Krawford
10-22-2022, 8:47 AM
Rich I've had one of the Kreg drawer jigs in my shop for ages. I used it as couple of times and was unimpressed. Maybe I need to give it another try since drawer slide mounting has always given me fits.

Ken, I'm 99% sure it was just the stock Richelieu side mounts. They have mounting tabs that just work great if you messed up putting the carcass together.
I ran across a Youtube video where the guy claimed the 1/8" per side. The pantry I used them in was off by about 1/2 that amount & they worked great.
So did the Kreg jig. I can't praise that Kreg jig enough. It makes attaching the slides to the drawer mindlessly simple.

Ken Krawford
10-22-2022, 8:47 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give the Sugatsune's a look.

I just built some outdoor cabinets and stainless steel slides are the way to go. I was not able to find any undermounts, but Sugatsune offers a decent selection of side mount slides in 3/4 and full extension.

Rich Engelhardt
10-22-2022, 10:31 AM
Ken the Kreg jig doesn't work all that great with epoxy slides. I use the Rockler one for them.
The Kreg jig really shines though when it comes to side mount full extension slides.
You mount the body to the side of the case, then inset the extensions. Next, you turn the jigs around so they face out & clamp them in place.
Once that's done, you extend the slides & put the drawer on the jigs with the slides positioned on the drawer. You can shim the drawer to whatever height you want by putting some quarters/pennies/nickles on top of the Kreg jigs.
Here's the video that shows how they work:
https://www.kregtool.com/shop/cabinet-solutions/cabinet-drawer-shelf-jigs/drawer-slide-jig/KHI-SLIDE.html

You might have an older Kreg if you only have a single one. The ones I bought came in a set of two. I swear by them. They were a lifesaver for me.