PDA

View Full Version : Be Carefull in Parking Lots

Jim Koepke
10-19-2022, 11:15 AM
Normally my projects are posted in Neanderthal Haven. Though this project takes what might be a Neanderthal approach to a project it only incidentally involves wood and hand tools. Hopefully it may help someone in a similar situation.

Last Wednesday wasn’t one of my favorite days. It started with a jury summons and having potential jurors sitting on hard benches during the voir dire process (preliminary examination of a witness or a juror by a judge or counsel). This was strange since this is usually done with all jurors present in the courtroom. Some of the potential jurors expressed a sensitivity concerning the crimes allegedly committed by the defendant. This required many of the potential jurors to undergo voir dire in private. After about four hours, one of the bailiffs came out and informed us there were not enough people left in the jury pool for a trial. We were dismissed.

On the way out my biggest decision was which way to drive home in order to pick up a small ash can. Lowes was through town and Home Depot was on the edge of town. I decided to go around the traffic and headed to HD. I do not know if they do this at all of their stores but the one in my area parks their carts along the drive in front of the store. While turning into one of the parking lanes I ran into one of them and did a nasty crunch to the side of my pick-up truck.

The running board suffered limited damage. A couple of the insert nuts pulled out. This caused a thumping noise with the slightest vibration. It also bent one of the mounting brackets, BUMMER!

So after a bit of thinking, tinkering and looking in Lowes hardware section, it became clear something from my own parts stash was going to have to do the job:

After finding a couple full thread 1/4-20 bolts it occurred some 1/4-20 inserts could do the job.

A block was made from a piece of scrap firewood. A centerline was drawn around the block and the holes where the original inserts pulled out were checked with a pair of dividers for centers:

A quick layout followed by a boring session at the drill press and the inserts went in like spreading soft butter:

At times I have used a bolt and jam nuts to install inserts. Last time when purchasing a supply of inserts the install tools was too low priced to pass. It is a lot easier to use than the bolt and jam nuts:

The grey looking piece above the pencil is a hex drive adapter for a bit brace, purchased from Lee Valley.

While thinking of how to hold this in place while remounting the running board, a beautifully simple solution came to mind. A 3/8” hole was bored into one side of the block:

A dowel was inserted into the hole to hold it in place while bolts were driven in to hold the block in place. Then a pair of 1/2” #10 flathead wood screws could be used to hold the block in place:

The running board body is made of aluminum so no countersinks were harmed in this production.

The mounting bracket was in need of a little reshaping:

My original reason for buying a 24” pipe wrench eludes me at the moment, but it has come in very handy a few times.

Putting it back together was easy:

Now to bang out some of the other dents and look for a Wile E. Coyote silhouette decal.

jtk

Doug Garson
10-19-2022, 12:13 PM
Now a true Neanderthal would be driving a horse and buggy and their horse would have avoided the cart. :rolleyes:

Stan Calow
10-19-2022, 1:06 PM
I told my kids when they were learning to drive, that parking lots were the most dangerous place to drive.

Jim Koepke
10-19-2022, 3:03 PM
I told my kids when they were learning to drive, that parking lots were the most dangerous place to drive.

From what stats are on line, one in five vehicle accidents are in parking lots.

jtk

Kev Williams
10-19-2022, 3:29 PM
Accidentally cut a corner a bit too close at a grocery store parking lot last year while in the wife's 2013 Mustang.
That icky sound I heard was the curb peeling off the right side rocker panel just before the rr tire went up onto the curb. %$#%!!
The panel is nearly unharmed, but when it came off so did all the plastic screws & clips holding it on... I still need to put the thing back on!

The wife's 1989 Mustang has a cracked taillight due to someone hitting it in a restaurant parking lot-

Only 'wreck' my mom was ever in was a parking lot.

My dad caved in the lower part of the back door of our truck at Home Depot on a cement pillar years ago...

Parking lots are evil!

Edward Weber
10-19-2022, 6:23 PM
Our vehicle is in the body shop now getting repaired from...
Parking lot accident.

Curt Harms
10-20-2022, 8:47 AM
From what stats are on line, one in five vehicle accidents are in parking lots.

jtk

Not many injuries though unless you're in Philadelphia or another large city where you might get shot :eek:

Tom M King
10-20-2022, 9:38 AM
My Wife always gets dents from other peoples's doors opening because she feels like she needs to find the closest parking space possible to where she's going shopping. I park out in the clear open and walk. Driving a dually, it's just not worth the extra effort to do otherwise.

Jim Koepke
10-20-2022, 11:48 AM
My Wife always gets dents from other peoples's doors opening because she feels like she needs to find the closest parking space possible to where she's going shopping. I park out in the clear open and walk. Driving a dually, it's just not worth the extra effort to do otherwise.

Same here, I will often drop Candy off near an entrance and then go to park the truck. At least at Lowes there are more trees on one end of the lot for parking in the shade.

jtk

Curt Harms
10-21-2022, 10:07 AM
Getting a parking spot close to the door seems to be some sort of competition as far as I can see. I can see it if the person has trouble getting around or if the weather is wet and/or cold. I've wanted to ask people who wait for somebody to leave a parking spot closer to the entrance if they exercise regularly or have a gym membership. Then why can't they walk another hundred feet or so? But see my post about getting shot.

Brian Elfert
10-21-2022, 10:41 AM
I won't park in a spot that is too tight. This is generally an issue at Menards or Home Depot where there are lots of pickups and two pickups parked with a space in between often doesn't leave enough room for another vehicle. I try to always pull through so I can drive forward out, but not always possible. I don't generally try to find the closest spot as I need the exercise.