PDA

View Full Version : Cherry top problem

Mark Rainey
10-18-2022, 12:50 PM
I donated a cherry end table in May to my local library for a holiday marketplace artisan fundraiser coming up in November. I got a call last week from the librarian wondering if the yellow sticky she put on the table top a few months ago damaged the finish.

She said that the table was stored near a window. She was quite apologetic and asked if I could help. It appears the sticky blocked the light for a length of time. I did not think this would be acceptable to the winner of the raffle or me. I am not aware of a quick repair other than refinishing it. I had a similar table in my house but finished with oil. I planed off the finish, sanded it and put a wipe on poly. I replaced the faded top with the refinished one.

I have the original top in my backyard getting a sun tan. If the color doesn't even out, I will refinish it.

Michael Todrin
10-18-2022, 1:04 PM
It's a shame about the first top. The way you arranged the grain is gorgeous.

glenn bradley
10-18-2022, 4:00 PM
I agree that there is no quick fix for the original top. Replacement was probably the best solution. I had a call about a cherry top. I knew the owner planned to display a few small items on top of the table and warned him to move them a few inches left and right every few days when dusting or whatever. This is how I maintain the homogeneous aging of my own cherry surfaces with good success. He either dusts less frequently than I do or just plain forgot. The result was similar to what you show. The sun-tan-tattoo cleared up after about 6 months of even exposure.