PDA

View Full Version : Home inventory software

Mike Williams
01-24-2006, 2:44 PM
For a number of years now, we've (infrequently) updated a photographic inventory of our household items and stored it in a safe place. It started out as 35 mm photos, then moved to a video recording.

A few years ago, I started also keeping an inventory on an Excel spreadsheet. That allowed me to keep a record of what an item cost, where we bought it, and so on. It was still pretty hit and miss. My descriptions were never good enough (or consistent enough) to identify 4 different chairs, let alone 10 or 20 different necklaces (hers, not mine!)

When we were transferred to the UK two years ago, we had to get serious about the inventory. My company required me to inventory everything that we moved over here, and everything we put into storage at the company's expense. I was still using the spreadsheet.

Late last year, I decided to look for a commercial answer to the homemade spreadsheet. I wanted something that was easier to use, and to which I could attach photos.

I found my answer in a product called Everything I Own. It's pretty cheap ($20), and does everything my spreadsheet did and more. It can be customized to some extent, and does a super job of easy backup and copying onto a separate CD-ROM which can be stored somewhere else. Reports can be stored on pdf files, so it's pretty easy to use 'remotely' from the software.

It's easy to attach a photo for an item, and it doesn't require you to resize a photo. It does all that automatically. What has been really good is the ability to add comments about where an item came from (gift, heirloom, etc.) I sure don't remember who gave us what wedding present 33 years ago, but my wife does. You can also add a bequest name for something that you want to eventually pass on to someone else. We figure the commentary, along with a picture of an item, will go along way to resolving disputes if we both get hit by a bus tomorrow.

The website for the product is www.mycroftcomputing.com/eiown.html (http://www.mycroftcomputing.com/eiown.html)

Attached is a copy of a page from one of the reports. Multiply that one page by a few hundred entries, and it's a lot of work. But it's something we think is worth doing. We don't try to inventory everything, and the video is still important as a memory jogger in case of a catastrophic fire, but it's a step in the right direction.

nic obie
01-24-2006, 2:49 PM
Ikea!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mike Williams
01-24-2006, 3:22 PM
Nic - it's definitely Ikea. That little kitchen island has made all the difference in the world. Otherwise, we'd have about 6 lf of kitchen countertop to work with.

When you need something practical, without spending a fortune, (and when all your tools are back in the US) it's hard to beat them.

Lee DeRaud
01-24-2006, 3:42 PM
Nic - it's definitely Ikea.

When you need something practical, without spending a fortune, (and when all your tools are back in the US) it's hard to beat them.Some friends of mine are doing their whole kitchen with Ikea cabinets. From what I've seen so far, I certainly couldn't build better, and I doubt I could buy cabinets that looked as good for much less than twice the price they paid.

Wes Bischel
01-24-2006, 5:29 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the link. It looks like great software. Yes, we have been trying to do this as well, but it is more miss than hit. I really need to inventory my shop. Of course this may be a bit depressing.:eek: :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Wes

Charles Hans
01-24-2006, 6:09 PM
Here is a link to what I have been keeping all my shop inventory with and it works very well and has a lot of features I think. It also has a sheet to track depreciation of your things if you are so inclined, and you can include pictures also.
FREE Home Inventory Software (http://contactplus.com/products/freestuff/mystuff.htm)
Chuck

Larry Browning
01-25-2006, 4:43 PM
Does anybody know anything about this outfit (http://www.knowyourstuff.org/)?
Seems pretty interesting.

Jim Young
01-25-2006, 5:52 PM
I really need to inventory my shop. Of course this may be a bit depressing.
I have my shop inventory in a spread sheet with the "replacement" and "actual" costs. It was very enlightening at the amount of $$ I have spent so far. I do keep the list out of my wife's reach.

Keeping an inventory, IMHO, is very difficult. The constant updating get's a little old. If you don't put your new items on the list right away it may not ever make it.

Mike Williams
01-26-2006, 2:30 PM
...Keeping an inventory, IMHO, is very difficult. The constant updating get's a little old. If you don't put your new items on the list right away it may not ever make it.

Jim - I sure agree with that. Creating the inventory in the first place is just hard work. Sorting out what you have, taking pictures, trying to find the receipts, and typing it in isn't easy, and it takes a lot of time that you would rather be doing something else.

It's a lot easier to just add those few items every week or so that you want to capture on your almost up-to-date inventory!

Part of what makes me do it is the experience of having handled four estates within the family. It would have been nice to have something to refer to that reminded us of why my Mom or others kept an item that meant a lot to her.

Sounds like there are lot's of comparable products out there to help. The rest is just up to us.

Andy Hoyt
01-26-2006, 4:50 PM
WHat about the 432 screwdrivers and 873 wrenches that one typically has.

Do these programs allow for bunches of tools as a unit of issue?

Mike Williams
01-27-2006, 3:36 PM
WHat about the 432 screwdrivers and 873 wrenches that one typically has.

Do these programs allow for bunches of tools as a unit of issue?

Andy - I've taken the easy way out for something like that. I've listed it as one lot of handtools with a best-guess on the price, then gone into more detail in the comments section on what it includes. With the associated picture, it seems good enough to me. If I ever had a fire or a burglary, I'd have to really figure it out.

But then, I probably don't have more than about 30 screwdrivers. If you were really serious about it, I guess you could separate them by manufacturer or type (flat, phillips, etc.)

Andy Hoyt
01-27-2006, 5:00 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'm not interested in this at all! But my blankety blank accountant sure is. She wants each (EACH!!!) small tool item to be listed uniquely. Glad to know there's a work around.