PDA

View Full Version : Mystery marks on vintage furniture

Dan McGonigle
10-17-2022, 10:32 PM
I have a 60 year old RCA radio console that’s developed some dark marks/stains. Something must have splashed or spilled on it. I have 3 young children and my 2 year old flings food and drink as often as he can. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I just removed the tuner from this console a few days ago and didn’t notice this marks. Furthermore, I found some areas where the substance was a little pooled and not yet evaporated. I believe the wood is a mahogany veneer. And I THINK the finish is shellac. I did the alcohol test in a hidden spot and it took the finish away. But then I did it in another spot and it only lightened it slightly. I first tried a little paste wax which didn’t make a difference. Then a little diluted white vinegar on a paper towel. The finish seems so thin and fragile that the paper towel abraded it somewhat. I don’t have any wood cleaner like Murphy’s, but is that even safe on shellac? There’s no way I could or even want to refinish this thing. I’ve attached some photos. Hopefully my uploads work. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

John TenEyck
10-18-2022, 1:51 PM
If it's food, then dish soap in warm water should take it off and won't hurt a shellac finish as long as you are brief about it. If it's something else, then mineral spirits may remove it and, likewise, won't harm a shellac or lacquer finish. 60 years old; I'd guess it's more likely lacquer.

John