PDA

View Full Version : septic tank advise

Warren Lake
10-17-2022, 9:58 PM
Had a place pumped today and sooner than expected. Home is 1971 bungalow 800 gallon concrete tank in good condition so all say. Told the weepers are likely plugging up. Nothing has ever been done to them and this is a wet area. Any new homes are raised up six feet.

Past in the city on another place on town it was plugged up and they failed a few times then ran a camera and found a plug outside the home. 6" pipe no back flow preventer looked paper or diaper plug and then was fine after he ran he camera through it several times and broke it up I know he also had a tool thing that had a spinning blade on it but it wasnt used. .

Do they do use anything on weepers? I think it would have to be able to turn corners if so. If this is time and no easy fix the next step would be to put that place on town system. Need to do some temp thing for now till that can be done later rather than now.

Tom M King
10-17-2022, 10:19 PM
1971 tank may not have a baffle in it, so some solids could end up in drain lines if let get too full. Any big trees nearby? We had one that a Red Oak had put roots in the lines that completely filled up a line.

Is there room to put in another drain field? Better stuff available to go in drain lines now than in 1971.

Warren Lake
10-17-2022, 10:36 PM
yes there are some maples and know they travel forgot to mention that., There were two huge maples past and did fine one had weaseled its way in. I can actually dig at that side the output side and take a look just in case. He shot a hose in and said its plugged up as water was coming back. Not sure I felt that is an exact answer but maybe it is. for sure its worth digging there to see if same as past the fine roots had infiltrated. i think those were from the two large trees that were taken down many years ago so no issue now then a few others maybe 45 feet or more but know they can travel far.

The guy that was here mentioned he does put in new drain fields 8-10k. I said at that cost its more sense to do the town hook up and he said yeah.

I have to wonder about some grinder thing if that is possible if they are plugged.

Oh sorry about the baffle there are two seperate tanks and there is some sort of baffle thing that past I thought I understood once explained but now cant remember.

tom the pipe that exits the tank does it go some number of feet say 4 to 6 or then it does the right angle and then all the other lines do right angles from there? Id say they could do a camera could they not even if they dont have a cuisinart blender gizmo.

Lee Schierer
10-18-2022, 6:56 AM
A leech field that old is probably beyond repair. If you don't pump the tanks every 3-4 years depending upon the number of people using it they will fail. You need to check with your local municipal authority to determine what your options are. I would say that if you can connect to a local sewage system that you should do that. They are less maintenance that a septic system. Here in NW PA they have strict rules on what you can and cannot do since much of the ground is heavy clay.

Zachary Hoyt
10-18-2022, 7:34 AM
When I had my septic system put in this summer I was told the design life for a leach field is 20 years, though I know a lot of them have gone longer than that.

Tom M King
10-18-2022, 9:23 AM
The line going from the tank goes into a "distribution box" and to each drain line from there. First check would be to find the distribution box, dig to expose the top, take the top off, and see what's going on. It will probably be obvious. It could simply be stopped up there, not allowing anything to go into the lines.

Ole Anderson
10-18-2022, 9:24 AM
My field is still good after 47 years. I have pumped the tank about every ten years. Good soil, glacial outwash. Just two of us for the last 25 years.

Paul F Franklin
10-18-2022, 9:25 AM
Just reaming or jetting the leach bed laterals often doesn't help much, or at least not for long. The bed near the laterals fills up with fines over time and even if the pipes are clear it doesn't drain well.

Around here, we are required to have two 1000 gallon tanks, and when they replace the leach field, they make the total length way longer than was typical years ago.

If you have the option to connect to city sewer, I would recommend that. Less maintenance in the long run, and no chance of contaminating local ground waters or wells. But you will likely find you are required to remove the old tank (or bash it in and fill it with rubble) so it doesn't become a sink hole danger in the future.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-18-2022, 9:40 AM
The rules in our town and county have changed a lot over the years. A lot of developments that used to be on the outskirts of town have been required to abandon all disposal fields and lagoons. Many homes have been required to install a grinder pump and connect to a pressure main. Most home mortgage banks now require up to date DOHSS certification of private sewers prior to approving a loan. We have several rural counties that remain un-regulated and have many private sewers that are not DOHSS approved, they are hard to sell. The folks I helped most recently had to abandon the disposal field and now have an aerated septic tank that pumps to a lagoon.

I do not know of any techniques for servicing laterals. There are ways to boost microbes. A plumber in town has a recommendation that involves a big dose of probiotics followed by a big reduction of water use.

Jim Becker
10-18-2022, 10:22 AM
Yea, septic/sewage is probably one of the most "paid attention to thing" by state and local jurisdictions today because of groundwater safety, etc. A system that old is going to be hard to "recover" as it may be degraded a lot more than is obvious by the immediate problem. So prepare yourself for, um...the potential of a lot of expensive fun.

I can't answer your specific question, however. The last septic system with a traditional drain field I have "used" was when I was a kid. Our previous residence had the equivalent of a sand mound, although conditions on the hill/mountain behind our home allowed for the pressurized effluent system to be installed at ground level.

Brian Elfert
10-18-2022, 10:28 AM
The couple who previously owned my house never did any maintenance, but yet they had the septic system replaced. Anyhow, they were too cheap to have the original septic tank removed so everything still flowed through the original tank and then into the new two chamber tank. I had tree roots getting into the original septic tank because the entrance into the tank was not sealed properly. I believe it was fall of 2020 when the main line plugged entirely for a second time. Two different septic companies both said they line from the house to first tank (about 10 feet) should be replaced as part of fixing the issue. It cost me around $2,500 to have the line dug up and replaced.

My point is tree roots can absolutely block up septic systems if everything is not sealed properly. Of course, a a leach field is not supposed to be sealed.

Warren Lake
10-18-2022, 10:30 AM
I asked the people that put the camera in the city a few years ago and they said they can run a camera. Tank was done more than regular. I know several people who have gone 25 years and not had issues and one of them its original on a 100 year home so there is a variety of how often but always told five years and that home has averaged that or sooner with often fairly low use. I know we are supposed to change over to town rather than rebuild and okay with that rather not take on anymore right now so if it can happen after the winter would be better.

I think it makes sense to check the output and see if any fine roots have made their way into that as I a seen that once before and its wasnt going to help in anyway.

Myk Rian
10-18-2022, 3:44 PM
For a house built in '71, it's possible your laterals are tiles, and may have collapsed. That's what our old field did.

Jack Frederick
10-18-2022, 4:01 PM
My neighbors leech field failed and I went over with my “Big Orange Power Tool” similar to Jim’s and Dug 400’ of lines. The original pipe from the early 70’s was a black fiber material which had simply gone away for the lack of a better description.

Steve Demuth
10-18-2022, 9:49 PM
Around here, we are required to have two 1000 gallon tanks, and when they replace the leach field, they make the total length way longer than was typical years ago.

Haven't gotten to the point where two tanks are needed, but the sizing rules here have gotten pretty tough, and rigid. We built a guest house a couple of years ago - 600 ft^2 bungalow - basically a small one bedroom apartment. Sanitarian wouldn't let us connect to the (already oversized) system on the main house, so we had to put in a new tank and leach field, but the minimum tank they'd let us put on it was 1500 gallons with a 200' foot leach field. With an average occupancy of maybe .1/person*day, it'll be a long while before the tank fills up with solids.

Our main house has been on the same tank/field for 30 years, and never given any trouble. Hope it lasts until I"m dead, 'cause replacing the field would make a hell of a mess - the leach field area is a beautiful grove of 30 year old walnut trees at this point.

Paul F Franklin
10-19-2022, 10:27 AM
<snip> Hope it lasts until I"m dead, 'cause replacing the field would make a hell of a mess - the leach field area is a beautiful grove of 30 year old walnut trees at this point.

IKWYM, my two tanks are under a 60' plus elm tree and I dread the thought of trying to replace the tanks; it almost surely would kill the tree or drastically weaken the root system. Given it's about 20' from the house, I wouldn't want either to happen.

Warren Lake
10-19-2022, 12:14 PM
thanks for the replies, lots of learning from others experiences. Amazing what is required now compared to past but it makes sense. In the course of being here 35 years at some point the road was dug and all the pipes put in so guess that will be where it ends up. that will be a new adventure as i tend to do lots to most myself but will need help on that if done. As it is now basement washroom has the container in the floor with ejection pump to get it up to the pipe level and out to the septic so will have to learn all possible. currently building 150 plus homes 300 feet away on the 150 farm and its taken motivation away to staying here. Beep Beep Beep beep and Beep Beep. Been pandemonium for a while and will go on for likely a year or two. Past quiet peaceful area. Neighbours lot 300 feet wide, nice to look out into a park rather than a 2 storey home. The times they are a changin.

Jim Becker
10-19-2022, 12:46 PM
And the issue with "not staying" is that you'll most likely get saddled with replacing the septic/sewer setup as a requirement to actually sell the property. The current system wouldn't likely pass inspection even if it was working properly because of changes to regulations over the years. Hopefully, you can get it working enough to get to spring and then do whatever needs done.

Ronald Blue
10-21-2022, 9:18 AM
Most everyone does an aeration system here now. Drain fields are destined to fail. I think they do a percolation test for a drain field. If the soil holds the water to long then they can't use a drain field. Our last home had an aeration system. We pumped the tank every 4-5 years just as a maintenance thing. Is there any chance they used Orangeburg tile on your system Warren? It went away in the 70's but it was common at one time. It isn't if it fails but when. As others have said the municipal system is the way to go if there is serious issues with yours.

Brian Elfert
10-21-2022, 10:54 AM
Where I live in Minnesota there is no requirement to bring a septic system up to current standards at sale time unless a septic inspection shows the system is failing. If the septic system is operating properly then no need to fix anything. In my part of the city we can no longer use drain fields and must use a mound instead.

My house had a new septic system installed three years before I bought the house and the septic system was about the only thing on the house that didn't need replacement.

Warren Lake
10-21-2022, 11:13 AM
thanks for more info. Id say its destined for town hook up and whatever that involves. No way for me to know what was used other than digging down. I still want to dig far side of the tank to see if there are tree roots on the output, once past there were amazing how they travel.

Bill George
10-21-2022, 1:54 PM
Having been a farm boy for a number of years and now living in a fast growing city that once was a small farm and railroad town I feel your pain. But I would take the advice given here and hook to city sewer.

Perry Hilbert Jr
10-21-2022, 3:40 PM
I see 1990's construction around here with septic fields failing despite a pumping requirement every 3 or 5 years depending on township. My parents purchased an old farmhouse with no plumbing or electric in 1955. They put in the septic system themselves with help from a relative that had a back hoe. My parents sold the place to my aunt and uncle, who in turn sold to a cousin, who in turn sold to another cousin. The septic system lasted fine for 60 years. That township started a pumping requirement, and no one there could remember where the septic tank was, so I went over and showed them. (It was deep the top was 4 ft down) The pumper guy came by and asked when it was last pumped because there were hardly any solids. Told him never. But, it makes a huge difference when people watch what they put down into the system too. Plus there were only two people there for almost 45 years.

We built a new house with new septic, but the old farmhouse and whatever system it had are still there. I never did find a septic tank or drain field for that house. We were supposed to get it pumped. Had the septic guy flush something that was supposed to tell where, it was never heard from again. So I knew where there was a septic tank for an old mobile home that once was here. But he couldn't get his pump truck close enough. so he just wrote an exemption note. that the septic system was exempt from pumping because there was an outhouse.