PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up for Wall Lumber on recent order...

Matt Tawes
01-24-2006, 1:43 PM
Hey folks,

Lots of you already know about and probably deal with or may have dealt with Wall Lumber www.walllumber.com (http://www.walllumber.com) however this was my first time doing business with them.
Here on the lower eastern shore of MD I have few if any sources for quality and affordably priced hardwood lumber and cabinet grade plywood that I use for my business. Over the years I've dealt with a number of suppliers/mills such as Groff & Groff, Hearne's HW,Diamond Hill Plywood to name a few as well as some more local sources (we don't have cabinet shops that sell wood around here only ones that build cabinets and millwork). Anyway, today I recieved the shipment of my first order from Wall's consisting of 12 sheets cabinet grade ply in birch and cherry as well as 300 total board feet of poplar, maple & cherry (all 10"+ wide stock in 8-12' lengths, most were 11-12'). All of the board stock I recieved was well packed/protected and was clear & straight (keep in mind this is all rough milled) and the plywood all quality veener.
My reason for posting was just to complimnet this dealer and make any others aware of them that might be shopping around. Prices are comparable to other mills and sources I've dealt with for the quality (if not better in price) and the shipping for my order was very reasonble (1800lbs. of material for $182.60 from NC to MD). This was delivered to my door via Overnite (I've had only good service from them in my area) and was helped to unload it by the driver (My shop is at my residence as well and not on a business route).

If your are looking for a supplier I definitely give Wall's a thumbs up recommendation.

Quinn McCarthy
01-24-2006, 2:21 PM
Yes I have had good luck with them as well. I ordered some purple heart lumber from them. They have great prices as well.

Jim Tobias
01-24-2006, 2:48 PM
They are about an hour away from me and I make the drive often. Steve Wall (Owner) is about as nice a guy as you would ever want to meet. They have always provided great quality, price and service in my dealings with them.

Jim

Chris Dodge
01-24-2006, 3:00 PM
I just took a look at them and their prices are very good, even after adding the shipping. I have three wood supply stores near my home that have a wide variety of woods to choose from so I don't need another supplier but these prices are tempting! I may have to try them out myself.

Reg Mitchell
01-24-2006, 5:08 PM
Hey Mat got a link for them I live in Tenn and that sounds like a good deal

Matt Tawes
01-24-2006, 5:43 PM
Hey Reg,

Link is in above post (all prices are listed there). If you email Steve with what your potential order might be he will give you a rough est. on shipping as well which is handy if your just comparing overall price(generally their freight est. ends up being higher than what you actually end up paying). If you are withing Wilson trucking's area the price for freight could also be better than Overnite.

Just a note about some specs. they only stock B1/B2 grade cabinet ply which is far better than you will find at Home Stores and local lumber yards (they do have a 5 sheet minimum). Also when ordering wood they have a 100 bd. minimum per species for shipping and to get the best price break, but they also offer special UPS bundle pricing.

My first experience with them was excellent and they get your order out quickly if its all in stock. I ordered on Wed. afternoon and it shipped Fri. and arrived today (wed.) Steve is also a dealer for Sunhill and Oliver machinery and has good pricing for those brands as well.

Reg Mitchell
01-24-2006, 7:14 PM
Thanks Matt....I totally looked over it...
:)

Peter M. Spirito
01-24-2006, 9:15 PM
Ordered monday, shipped tuesday, arrived at terminal thursday, I chose to pick it up on friday as it was easier that having it delivered. Very happy with the 100bf of poplar. I will surely order again. ;)

Brian Hale
01-25-2006, 4:54 PM
I'm glad you're happy with your order but i knew you would be :cool:

Ain't that birch ply some Pretty Stuff! I was all :D :D when i unwrapped my bundle. Mine also measured a true 3/4" thick, unlike the home center stuff

Brian :)

Matt Tawes
01-25-2006, 5:16 PM
Hey Brian,

The Birch (B1 grade) was indeed pretty nice for $48/sheet. The Cherry (B2 grade) was nice as well.

Robert Waddell
01-25-2006, 5:53 PM
I picked up about 300 bdft of lumber from them last week. They have good service and good quality stuff. I just wish they weren't three hours away.

Ed Breen
01-25-2006, 6:01 PM
Hi Matt,
I've used Wall's overe the past few years for cherry, butternut, oak and spalted maple. Usually in 100 df lots. I've never been dissatisfioed!
Ed:D :D

Mac McAtee
01-25-2006, 6:24 PM
Hate to do this to you guys.

Wall Lumber is about 15 miles North of my shop door. If you pick up you can buy one board if you want it. They let you look at the stuff, pick the board you want from the pile. You just need to leave the stack as neat as you found it. They are open half day on Saturdays.

Great people and they make you feel welcome when you drop in.

Matt Tawes
01-26-2006, 9:11 AM
Hey Mac,

If only I lived 15 miles from a nice mill with a selection like Walls. Heck I don't have any even within 100 miles. I dont mind paying freight though as it's figured into the cost I pass on to clients and with a large order, cost per sheet or bd. foot I add on is so small its insignificant.

Vince Sandy
01-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Wall Lumber is about an hour's drive from my house, and well worth the trip. Last summer I needed several small/short pieces of different types of hardwood. I took the trip one Saturday morning and was given free access to their cutoff bins. I left with about 1/3 of a pickup load of cutoffs ranging from 6-36" in length, some up to 6" wide, and some mahogany shorts that were 3" thick. Walnut, cherry, ash, oak, and no charge.

Also, a couple of years ago I was making some built-in cabinets and book cases. They asked for my drawings/parts list so they could pick the right boards to minimize waste and to ensure they didn't sell me too much material. When I arrived my order was bundled and ready to go. Service with a smile. I was smiling too. Good company!

Vince

Joe Chritz
01-26-2006, 1:16 PM
Good work needs rewarding. Its always good to hear that some people still go the extra mile to keep a customer.

I hadn't used them as I normally buy my lumber from local suppliers but I will give them a look for a kitchem project I am starting. If I buy I will be sure to let them know it is because of other customers praising their service.

A truck load of cutoffs?? I could handle about 27,000 knives with that. :rolleyes:

Joe

Peter M. Spirito
01-27-2006, 9:20 PM
We have a home in New Bern NC and get up there a couple of times a year. (from south Florida) In May I plan to go to Walls, just for the thrill of it all.:rolleyes:

john whittaker
01-28-2006, 9:51 AM
Put me down as another satisfied customer. 2.5 hour trip from home but worth it.