PDA

View Full Version : compressor won't start

Dave Fritz
10-12-2022, 10:51 AM
I have a California Air Tools 10020C compressor which I purchased in 2019. It won't start anymore.
At one point I used a remote start on it and it didn't always work. https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LR110-3-110-Volt-Collector/dp/B00004S9AI/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=dust+collector+remote+switch&qid=1665585360&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjUyIiwicXNhIjoiNC4yMyIsInFzcCI6IjM uNzQifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-5 So I took it off and it worked fine. I'm sharing this because perhaps this did some damage?
While using it I heard air escaping and upon inspection it was coming from in back of the switch not the pressure relief valve. The trouble shooting guide indicated I needed to change the pressure control valve which I had done by a neighbor who is a mechanic. I'm really glad I did because the valve just broke off and he had to drill and tap the opening to install the new one. The metal was so soft it just crumbled. After changing it out the unit still will not turn on. I called the company and spoke with a person and he basically said to take it to a repair shop. We don't have any repair shops even willing to look at it. They said at $100 an hour labor it's not worth it. My mechanic neighbor is baffled as he said the points open and close just fine. I'm wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions? I see now this unit has almost doubled in price! YIKES!! I appreciate any help or suggestions you may offer.

andy bessette
10-12-2022, 11:04 AM
Begin by making sure the motor will run, independent of the switch. If the motor runs, then the switch is the problem and should be replaced. If you can do these things yourself, you can save taking it to a repair center.

Richard Coers
10-13-2022, 3:49 PM
A compressor won't start if there is a head of pressure on the pump. Double worse on your compressor because it has two pumps. Release all the pressure in the tank and leave it open to see what happens. They call there pressure switch an Easy Start Valve. That is where I would start. With a pump on both sides of the motor, working on that model will be a job.

Warren Lake
10-13-2022, 3:56 PM
My compressor also went on the Fritz a several times last months. One day it didnt shut off. Few times would not start. I made no changes other than taking the cover off the high low gizmo and blowing all out then some light fonzie tapping. I likely also tightened screws back and forth as well. No idea of the real cause but its working fine other than its well past too worn out so it sounds like a heavy metal band.

Curt Harms
10-14-2022, 9:02 AM
A compressor won't start if there is a head of pressure on the pump. Double worse on your compressor because it has two pumps. Release all the pressure in the tank and leave it open to see what happens. They call there pressure switch an Easy Start Valve. That is where I would start. With a pump on both sides of the motor, working on that model will be a job.

I have a small Campbell-Hausfeld oilless compressor. It came with a crappy combination pressure switch/unloader valve that failed in short order. I first ordered a replacement, installed it and could not get it to stop leaking plus did I mention it was cheap crap? I returned that one and got a Square D power/pressure switch and inline unloader valve. That was probably 20 years ago and it still works great. I'm not familiar with California Air Tools but would it be possible to slightly open the line from the compressor? That should relieve any trapped pressure between the compressor and unloader valve and allow the motor to start if the unloader valve is the problem. It was in my case.

Carroll Courtney
10-14-2022, 3:44 PM
As suggested, first empty your tank, flip your psi switch to On. You should be able to see contacts closed(Hands clear and safety glasses on) If they closed and you don’t hear motor making noise or trying to start then take volt meter check the in coming power(110v or 220v)If you have voltage there and if psi switch is closed then you should have same voltage on what is called load side. If you have it there then with power off check joints on motor. If your a woodworker there could be sawdust all in motor and could be a centrifugal switch on end of motor that needs be cleaned out. Beware if your not comfortable working with volt meter and with voltage then call an electrician or ac guy they will know how trouble shoot. It’s not worth it getting hurt.

Dave Fritz
10-17-2022, 5:42 PM
I had a friend that's a retired electrical engineer come and take a look. After testing he said the motor is shot. He was unable to get continuity from one end to the other. He also direct wired it and nothing. Last time I'll buy any California Air Tool products.

Tom Bender
10-24-2022, 12:15 PM
So it's only 3 years old. Can you estimate how many starts it has had? Fewer would be better, assuming you are getting a replacement.

Bill Dufour
10-24-2022, 12:38 PM
Was it starting more then 10-12 times per hour?
Bill D