PDA

View Full Version : Sawing

Tom Bender
10-12-2022, 7:39 AM
80% of the time I go with power sawing
10% I reach for a Japanese saw
5% it's a western saw

A few years ago I decided my two 'normal' hand saws could use an upgrade. I sent them to Pete Taran for evaluation and sharpening. One was not so good and he sold me a nice replacement. I now have a good crosscut and a good rip. They work really well and each time I use one I thank Pete.

Mark Rainey
10-12-2022, 9:37 AM
I agree Tom, there is a simple joy in using a well tuned handsaw.

James Pallas
10-12-2022, 9:40 AM
It is very good to have recognized experts that are willing to share their knowledge and also provide a service should we need it. Thanks Pete and all of you for what you bring here.
Jim

Stephen Rosenthal
10-12-2022, 8:16 PM
At an estate sale I picked up a pre-Lie Nielsen Independence Dovetail Saw, #168. Most on here know that Pete Taran and Patrick Leach produced those saws before selling their enterprise to LN. It was in unused condition and I paid a “you suck” price. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it and, needless to say, paid and hustled out of there. It’s a fantastic saw and, for the most part, has relegated my Adria (also an excellent saw) to collecting dust in the till. I also think of Pete every time I reach for it.

Jim Koepke
10-13-2022, 10:51 AM
My thanks go to Pete for his web site > http://www.vintagesaws.com < It provide the information needed for me to sharpen my own saws. Surely my sharpening isn't of expert quality, but I'm still learning and getting better.

jtk