PDA

View Full Version : Jointer feeding direction

Mark Rios
01-24-2006, 8:56 AM
Don't all jointers feed in the same direction? I'm talking about the regular, stand alone jointers, not the jointer/planer/coffee maker/handsaw combo thingy's. They feed from right to left, correct? And looking at a jointer from the back, the infeed table would be on the left, correct?

If this is all true, then the pic on page 14, lower left corner, of the latest Wood magazine is labeled kinda funny. Or, am I just not seeing something and being a bonehead again?

Edit: They seem to have gotten the infeed and outfeed tables confused in the pic.

Mark Singer
01-24-2006, 8:59 AM
Your right! I haven't seen Wood Magazine though...

Jeff Sudmeier
01-24-2006, 8:59 AM
I haven't had time to read the newest Wood mag, but yeah all jointers I have ever seen feed from right to left.

Dave Richards
01-24-2006, 9:54 AM
Maybe it's artistic license. :D

I looked at that article but didn't pay much attention. Maybe it was a test. You should write to them and tell them you spotted the error. They might give you something free.

Mark Rios
01-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Maybe it's artistic license. :D

I looked at that article but didn't pay much attention. Maybe it was a test. You should write to them and tell them you spotted the error. They might give you something free.

Yeah.....a swift kick in the pants.:D

Jim Becker
01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I just passed this on to Marlen and he said he would check it out. This does happen sometimes in publishing...a picture gets reversed, although it's less common now that everything is done digital.

Mark Rios
01-24-2006, 11:08 AM
I just passed this on to Marlen and he said he would check it out. This does happen sometimes in publishing...a picture gets reversed, although it's less common now that everything is done digital.

Oh sure Jim! Now you're gonna get the free stuff.:D :D :D

Chris Haney
01-24-2006, 11:55 AM
They labled the first picture incorrectly. In the middle picture, you can see a knob protruding from the top of the fence on the infeed side of the table (you can tell it is the infeed side if you look at the direction of the jointer knives). In the first picture, that same knob is on what is labled the "outfeed table".

Good catch, Mark....I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Marlen Kemmet
01-24-2006, 2:38 PM
Jim Becker, thanks for letting me know about this thread. Chris, you are correct, we accidentally switched the callouts for Infeed table and Outfeed table on the photo on the bottom left-hand corner of page 14 of the February/March 2006 issue of WOOD. We had the callouts right going into the last round of editing. The editor evidently looked at the photo too quickly and didn't realize the photo was from the back, not front of the jointer. Thanks for pointing this out. We have noted this in our online correction listing.
Marlen Kemmet
WOOD Magazine Managing Editor
WOOD Online Manager

Mark Rios
01-24-2006, 3:36 PM
OH, SUUUURRREE..............SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! !!.............Jim gets all the credit. I'm the one who started the thread! lol

Wait, let me bend over and take my kick in the pants. LOL:D :D :D

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
OH, SUUUURRREE..............SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! !!.............Jim gets all the credit. I'm the one who started the thread! lol

Wait, let me bend over and take my kick in the pants. LOL:D :D :D

What are friends for... ;) And yes, you're the one with the eagle-eyes and the good catch!

But I'm glad that Marlen responded directly in the thread...he's a great guy and an excellent woodworker and turner, himself.