PDA

View Full Version : caster size question

keith zimmerman
02-20-2003, 1:37 PM
I have a question concerning the size of caster to use under cabinets. I'm getting ready to construct some movable cabinets for my shop and was wondering what size caster to get.

What size do others use on their cabinets?

TIA

Howard Rosenberg
02-20-2003, 2:12 PM
contents are the most important consideration.
Each caster/wheel is rated for a max load. Multiply that by the number of casters/wheels you intend to use & you should be fine. Additionally, you can ALWAYS buy a caster/wheel with a higher weight rating and bigger diameter, but you'll just have to replace everything if you buy under-rated casters/wheels.
Also, long objects like a bench are best served by another in the middle of the length.
Howard

Lee Schierer
02-20-2003, 2:19 PM
I find that larger casters maneuver over bits of stuff on the floor better than smaller ones, but smaller ones seem to be more stable since they are smaller and get mounted closer to the edge.

Watch the load rating and you should do okay.

P.S. Locking casters rarely do!

Lee

Richard McComas
02-20-2003, 2:58 PM
Howard below is a copy of post I took off another forum. I recently purchased caster from this business and was happy with all aspects of my transaction with this person. Give him a call and talk with him. He will tell you more about choosing the right caster for the job that you’ll want to know.

I'll wade in here on the wheel caster issue. Last week I attended a short
presentation by a guy who has been in the business of distributing casters for
over 20 years...he really knows his stuff. His business is located in San
Marcos, CA. Some of the prices he quoted were exceptionally good. I think
much more reasonable than McMaster-Carr, which tends to be at the high
end (but more convenient, certainly convenience has its price). Anyway, for
anyone who is interested, his name is Dale Newell, and the company is S&S
Dayton Industrial Supply. Their phone number is 760-744-3783. I don't know
if he has anything listed on a website.