PDA

View Full Version : G1021x2 Reversing dust chute

John Kananis
10-09-2022, 6:51 AM
I'm moving my planer and would like the dust collection on the other side of the machine but the chute isn't reversible. Does anyone have a solution to this? Thanks in advance.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-09-2022, 7:47 AM
Using flexible duct, elbows, creating a new chute or modifying the old one are all I can think of.

John Kananis
10-09-2022, 7:53 AM
Thanks for the input, Maurice...also hoping to hear from someone that's actually done it. I'm curious if the way (direction) that the chips eject is the reason for the omnidirectional oem chute and if it causes any issues to set it up the other way.

glenn bradley
10-09-2022, 7:54 AM
When I increased to 6" I built my own little box for the jointer.

John Kananis
10-09-2022, 8:00 AM
Looks good on that jointer and 6 inch would be really nice but I'm working with a 4 inch system. Some day...

Edit: I really like the mdf blast gate btw

Maurice Mcmurry
10-09-2022, 9:23 AM
Changing your OEM grizzly chute to the other side should not change your performance.

You get a big boost from the planer right at the chute. If you make something that changes the shape and direction in a gentle, flowing shape the results will be good.

Grizzly's images of your machine do not show the dust chute real well. It looks like a homemade chute might actually improve your chip collection. I have made several. The first ones were junky wooden things. I have nice sheetmetal tools now and am able to make fairly decent duct work. I start by making a mock-up with cardboard and tape then recreate the paper design with sheetmetal.

Here is an image of an early small one from before I had a brake, it is fairly junky. The big more professional version is out at another shop.

Thomas Wilson
10-09-2022, 10:32 AM
You may be able to block off the old connection and add a tap in branch fitting. Here is an example of a tap in fitting.
https://www.grainger.com/category/hvac-and-refrigeration/ventilation-equipment/ductwork-venting-fittings-and-caps/duct-fittings?attrs=Duct+Fitting+Item%7CTap+In&filters=attrs
You will need to find one compatible with your ductwork.

John Kananis
10-09-2022, 12:30 PM
I'm sure I can just build a frame to bolt to the machine and the dust chute and flip it that way (there's nothing wrong with the chute or its design outside the fact that it faces the wrong way for me now) and I don't have the tools to fabricate a sheet metal version. At this point,
just wanted to know if the machine naturally ejects to the left (and hence the non reversible chute).

Jonathan Jung
10-09-2022, 12:32 PM
John, I have the same problem. Grizzly doesn't make a RH ejecting chute. Poor choice on their part. Only way would be fab one, so I just route the flexible hose down and underneath the bed and out the RH side.

John Kananis
10-09-2022, 12:41 PM
John, I have the same problem. Grizzly doesn't make a RH ejecting chute. Poor choice on their part. Only way would be fab one, so I just route the flexible hose down and underneath the bed and out the RH side.

Good idea but I'm trying to avoid that sort of thing. I'm putting the left side of the machine on the side I walk through so more space, the better. I can splice into the ductwork on the ceiling I suppose and stick with left side collection but I'd really like to keep that side completely clear.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-09-2022, 12:50 PM
As I think more about it a spiral cutter could very well create directional air flow, the spiral acting like a screw or propellor rather the the paddlewheel type of push one gets from straight cutters. A test with the chute off would be interesting.

glenn bradley
10-09-2022, 1:13 PM
Just some added info. My 15" spiral head planer exits as a 4" dead center.

Bill Dufour
10-09-2022, 5:51 PM
Not sure about your definition of reverse. Chips self eject vertical on infeed side or horizontal on outfeed side of cutterhead. Left/right does not mater except maybe with a spiral cutterhead, doubt it.
Bill D

Tom Bender
10-18-2022, 9:17 AM
Maurice leads in a fun and helpful direction. I have started with manilla folder material and tape to make a better vacuum nozzle. After a couple of tries it evolved into something good. Followed up with aluminum flashing which is is cheap and easy to work. Metal foil tape works well.

Bruce Wrenn
10-18-2022, 12:16 PM
Looking at an online manual for the 1021-2, it shows dust chute centered. This is the same as my Delta DC 380, which the 1021 is a clone of. If chute is fastened by an extended lip at the top, cut lip off, turn chute over and weld, pop rivet, or replace piece that was cut off. Paint and enjoy

John Kananis
10-18-2022, 6:15 PM
Good info. Thanks to everyone that contributed.