PDA

View Full Version : Any Hammond Organ owners?

Dave Fifield
01-24-2006, 3:48 AM
I'm guessing that I'm not the only woodworker here that also plays keys. Do any of you own/play a Hammond Organ too? C'mon, own up!!

I have a beautiful 1947 BV ("It's ten years older than me and in better condition" is my usual tagline) that I have gradually restored. The bench seat was missing when I found it in a local thrift store, so I have been making a replica (in solid walnut) of my own. Pics to come. I'm still not sure what the best (most like the original) finish is going to be to match the BV organ. I guess I'll post a question on the finishing forum when I'm ready.

Is Byron Coy an SMC member I wonder? That guy was MOST helpful in setting me up with some great photos of one of his replica B3 bench seats. I was able to get all the major dimensions from the photos. If you're out there Byron, THANKS!!!

Cheers,
Dave Fifield (glis...)

Vaughn McMillan
01-24-2006, 4:54 AM
I don't play one, but I helped moved a C3 around the Rocky Mountain states for several months playing bar gigs in the 80's. With the full cabinet (as opposed to the B3 with spindle legs), it was extra fun to move and lift onto stages. :) The keyboardist that used to play with me still has that organ, and has another C3 that came up for sale at a good price a few years ago, and he just couldn't pass it up. It's in the garage, since his spare bedroom "practice room" has all three available walls taken up with other toys. Still nothing like an old Hammond through a Leslie.

I'm not familiar with the BV. Sounds like a fun restoration project. Got pics?

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Don't own one...but wish I did. Fortunately, I at least have some wonderful samples in my Kurzweil. It's not the same, obviously, without the drawbars, but still a taste of "that sound". There is at least one small electronic version available for portablilty...'could be more or gone...I don't know as I haven't followed the market in a long time. But I'd love to have a vintage instrument to play someday, but doubt it will ever happen.

Charles McKinley
01-24-2006, 2:49 PM
Many moons ago I learned on a Hammond with the full foot board.

Unfortunatly I can't even read music any more. :(

Tyler Howell
01-24-2006, 3:04 PM
I have a chopped down B3 with tube type Leslie stashed away. Boy is it heavy !!!! Some day it's comin out!!!

Lee DeRaud
01-24-2006, 3:36 PM
Don't own one...but wish I did. Fortunately, I at least have some wonderful samples in my Kurzweil. It's not the same, obviously, without the drawbars, but still a taste of "that sound". There is at least one small electronic version available for portablilty...'could be more or gone...I don't know as I haven't followed the market in a long time. But I'd love to have a vintage instrument to play someday, but doubt it will ever happen.Hammond XB2, introduced in 1994.
Specs here: http://www.fmsystems.net/pdf/cutsheet/xb2.pdf
Looks to be out of production, but there's at least one on Ebay, ~$750.

Dave Fifield
01-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Vaughn - I learned on a C3 (in England) - I used to work in a organ/music store on Saturday's for fun/pocket money from age 14 to about 18. In the quieter moments when I wasn't polishing, I was allowed free reign on the keyboards! That was a fun time in my life!! I have a whole bunch of pictures of my BV thrift store find on my music website:

http://www.jardini.com/bv.html there are a couple of links from this page to the smooth drawbar conversion and Trek II conversions I have done on it.

Jim - I love Kurz keyboards too - I've got a couple (K2600XS and PC2X). KB3 mode "Kicks Butt" doesn't it?!

Charles - you should get back in there....I don't read music very well myself (mostly play by ear) but that doesn't stop me!

Tyler - PICTURES, WE WANT PICTURES!!!! :D :rolleyes: (sorry, I couldn't resist!!) Do you have any idea what you have there sir? A "sleeper" B3 with original Leslie!!! It's worth a small fortune! If you ever want to sell it, let me know!

Lee - :cool: cool - the XB2 was (still is) a very good portable unit. I have one of the Hammond XK-3 organs with a Leslie 21 system too, just in case I decide I want to go portable one day.....

Cheers for now,
Dave Fifield

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 2:08 PM
Jim - I love Kurz keyboards too - I've got a couple (K2600XS and PC2X). KB3 mode "Kicks Butt" doesn't it?!
The original K2000 is what I have...my only remaining keyboard from a much larger collection I had back in the mid-1980s and forward. I just wish I had time to play it, but will likely force things since I really want to do some original music for a little video project I hope to finish "someday". I have an incredible sample of a 9' Yamaha grand for it that is "really robust" in sound--it was from Sweetwater Sound, if my memory isn't failing me. It would even be better if I had a weighted keyboard, but alas...I'm not investing any more money in that direction.

Tom Spallone
01-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Me? Guitar player. But, I HAVE seen Emerson knife one of those bad boys on occasion!