PDA

View Full Version : Gone Farming

Greg Wieskamp
10-08-2022, 7:16 AM
A friend of mine, Tom, and his brother Ron, help a local area farmer, Donnie, with his farming operation. Ron recently had knee surgery that didn't go well, so he is laid up for a while. I took his place this fall, hauling corn to to the elevator. Tom and I haul corn, jockey trucks and tractors to the different fields, and other various chores. We start about 7 every morning to about 7 at night. The farmer, Donnie, runs the combine. He won't let anyone else do that. In the spring, Donnie does the planting. Again, he won't allow anyone else to plant. Donnie, a widower, lives alone, and fends for himself. His wife died many years ago. They had no children. During the year he takes care of his farming operation pretty much by himself. He farms about 600 acres and rents out the rest of his land. Tom is a bit younger than I, he is 62. Ron is 70. Donnie the farmer just turned 101 this past July, but you would never know it. He is amazing to watch.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-08-2022, 9:07 AM
Am I reading between the lines to think that you are having fun? It certainly sounds like enjoyble work!

Andrew Joiner
10-08-2022, 6:59 PM
A friend of mine, Tom, and his brother Ron, help a local area farmer, Donnie, with his farming operation. Ron recently had knee surgery that didn't go well, so he is laid up for a while. I took his place this fall, hauling corn to to the elevator. Tom and I haul corn, jockey trucks and tractors to the different fields, and other various chores. We start about 7 every morning to about 7 at night. The farmer, Donnie, runs the combine. He won't let anyone else do that. In the spring, Donnie does the planting. Again, he won't allow anyone else to plant. Donnie, a widower, lives alone, and fends for himself. His wife died many years ago. They had no children. During the year he takes care of his farming operation pretty much by himself. He farms about 600 acres and rents out the rest of his land. Tom is a bit younger than I, he is 62. Ron is 70. Donnie the farmer just turned 101 this past July, but you would never know it. He is amazing to watch.
Wow, I want be like Donnie when I grow up. Is he really 101 or is that a typo?

Greg Wieskamp
10-08-2022, 9:02 PM
Yes I am having fun, and yes, Donnie is 101.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-08-2022, 9:10 PM
I am jealous! I took some Mellons to the neighbors and caught them servicing their big International combine. What a monster!

Brian Elfert
10-13-2022, 12:50 PM
A guy on another forum I frequent drives his Tesla from New Jersey to Minnesota in the fall to help with harvesting for a week or so. He is currently either driving or harvesting right now.

Ronald Blue
10-20-2022, 7:41 AM
I've been busy the last few weeks helping a farmer/friend. When we are combining (shelling) corn I drive the tandem grain truck. When in soybeans I usually run the ripper on corn stalks. The last two days there have been break downs on the combine. I'm his "mechanic" when this happens. Issue the day before was finding parts. He sent his Dad one direction and he went 80 miles another direction. Even John Deere is having parts issues. Yesterday was easy. Part was less than ten mile away. Today is an exception as I will be helping haul soybeans. It gives me something to do and is short term. In another week we should be completely done. For the most part the harvest weather has been exceptional.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-24-2022, 8:14 AM
Be careful out there. Conditions here are so dry that combines are at risk of catching fire. One burned last week and another this weekend. : (

Ten people displaced after Wooldridge fire burns thousands of acres | Local | columbiamissourian.com (https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/local/day-after-wooldridge-fire-full-extent-of-damage-becomes-clearer/article_6a85e316-52f2-11ed-b5b8-2fa7b7334fdd.html)

Ronald Blue
10-25-2022, 8:43 AM
Be careful out there. Conditions here are so dry that combines are at risk of catching fire. One burned last week and another this weekend. : (

Ten people displaced after Wooldridge fire burns thousands of acres | Local | columbiamissourian.com (https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/local/day-after-wooldridge-fire-full-extent-of-damage-becomes-clearer/article_6a85e316-52f2-11ed-b5b8-2fa7b7334fdd.html)

We finished harvest last night. (10/24) We took out about 75 acres. Corn was doing well yield wise. About 240 bushel per acre. I have about 80 acres to rip and that will be finished. Raining now so might be a day or two. It was an almost perfect harvest season weather wise. Yes fire danger warnings several days. Earliest conclusion to harvest in his 20 plus years of farming.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-25-2022, 8:51 AM
We finally have rain too. Most farmers are done. The ones who are not wish the rain had held off. When it is very dry the machines work best.