PDA

View Full Version : Domino DF500 joint creep

Brian Runau
10-07-2022, 6:07 PM
I always do my mortise from the same face and maintain that during assy. I have some height differences even though I am not changing the setup other than on short members I use tight width and longer pieces I use medium width mortise. Sample test joint was flat, actual the short side is a little high. Sample process was same mortise width as actual. Can be sanded out, but ... is this due to the different mortise width. Has me stumped.
Thanks
Brian

Ben Schmidt
10-07-2022, 7:13 PM
Could be the fence slipping. Make sure that lever is really tight or better yet get a domiplate from Seneca

Johnny Barr
10-07-2022, 7:31 PM
This video might help
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHctMqslxo

Jim Becker
10-07-2022, 7:39 PM
Fence slipping could be an issue, but "most likely" the tool was not level when cutting some of the mortises. This is REALLY easy to inadvertently do. DAMHIKT!!!

glenn bradley
10-07-2022, 8:22 PM
Fence slipping could be an issue, but "most likely" the tool was not level when cutting some of the mortises. This is REALLY easy to inadvertently do. DAMHIKT!!!

Ding, ding, ding.

Richard Coers
10-07-2022, 8:34 PM
The Domino machine is not fool proof. There are skills to learn. For higher accuracy, I like the machine sitting on something, not hanging in the air.

Warren Lake
10-07-2022, 8:55 PM
same with lamelloes

Andrew Hughes
10-07-2022, 9:03 PM
Push in the tool further back.
Feel the cord in part of your hand. This tip was given to me by a Festool demonstration guy.
I tried it and it cured my misalignment.

Brian Runau
10-07-2022, 11:09 PM

So how to salvage my work? Redo existing mortise or hand plane joints afterwards? Thanks brian

Cameron Wood
10-07-2022, 11:18 PM
I had frustrating results for years with biscuit joiner (Dewalt), and eventually figured out that the fence was slipping and brutal tightening with pliers was required.

You can plug the mortises and recut if you haven't glued up. Grain might cause the bit to deviate a bit, maybe try slower feed rate.

George Waldner
10-07-2022, 11:25 PM
I bought a new Domino 500 a couple months ago. The mortise it cut was not quite parallel to the workpiece both using the fence and registering from the base. That created a joint higher on one edge and lower on the other. Festool support recommended returning and I have not decided if I want to try another. Is the height difference you speak of the same across the joint?

Prashun Patel
10-08-2022, 5:12 AM
Great tipis below.

To salvage your work, plug and flush cut a domino into the bad hole. Re drill.

Happens to me sometimes. Also make sure your surfaces are dust free when mounding the tool to the piece.

Also, use dust control. Failure to use dc can also cause imperfect holes.

Last, to reiterate a post below, grip the tool far back when plunging- almost around the plug.

Brian Runau
10-08-2022, 7:14 AM
Great tipis below.

To salvage your work, plug and flush cut a domino into the bad hole. Re drill.

Happens to me sometimes. Also make sure your surfaces are dust free when mounding the tool to the piece.

Also, use dust control. Failure to use dc can also cause imperfect holes.

Last, to reiterate a post below, grip the tool far back when plunging- almost around the plug.

How would I identify which holes are off? I can find joints that are off, but how do you determine which set of mortises are off? Thanks Brian

glenn bradley
10-08-2022, 7:39 AM
How would I identify which holes are off? I can find joints that are off, but how do you determine which set of mortises are off? Thanks Brian

Put a domino in one hole and join the pieces. If they are out of plane, that is one that requires repair. Repeat through all mortises in question. I have gotten better with the Domino. Most often my problems start when I do not take the time to properly support the machine during the operation. Much like trying to run a router along a narrow surface, additional support is your key to success.

I think I am not alone in having a set of milled up boards or beams used for various blocking tasks around the shop.

I clamp the part in a vise, clamp a beam or board to it to provide a greater bearing surface and cut the mortise.

Brian Runau
10-08-2022, 8:45 AM

Not awake yet this morning. The high side of the joint would be off. brian

Jason Evans
10-08-2022, 8:58 AM
I bought a new Domino 500 a couple months ago. The mortise it cut was not quite parallel to the workpiece both using the fence and registering from the base. That created a joint higher on one edge and lower on the other. Festool support recommended returning and I have not decided if I want to try another. Is the height difference you speak of the same across the joint?

I have the same issue. I wish I had noticed it in the warranty period. I just assumed it was me when I first started to notice.

Kevin Jenness
10-08-2022, 9:06 AM

If your mortises were cut using the fence registering to the top of the workpiece, the lower piece in the assembled joint is probably the culprit - the mortise is closer to that surface. You can check the distance from mortise cheek to reference surface with a precision caliper. then plug and recut the offending mortise.

I have used two Domino 500's and one 700 extensively, using the fence for registration without any special technique, with consistently good results. I get only marginally better consistency when using my stationary slot mortiser with the work clamped to the table. Other than a faulty fence I have to think that the cause of misalignment is simply user error in not ensuring the fence is flat on the work and keeping it in position while making the cut.

Derek Cohen
10-08-2022, 9:15 AM
If you believe you have a slipping fence, there are two fixes.

The first is to use the Seneca Domniplate ...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0117/6212/products/P1020235_1024x1024.jpg?v=1623080008

The second is to modify the clamps ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHctMqslxo&ab_channel=sedgetool

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cameron Wood
10-08-2022, 1:07 PM
Put a domino in one hole and join the pieces. If they are out of plane, that is one that requires repair. Repeat through all mortises in question. I have gotten better with the Domino. Most often my problems start when I do not take the time to properly support the machine during the operation. Much like trying to run a router along a narrow surface, additional support is your key to success.

I think I am not alone in having a set of milled up boards or beams used for various blocking tasks around the shop.

I clamp the part in a vise, clamp a beam or board to it to provide a greater bearing surface and cut the mortise.

Good looking blocks!

Brian Runau
10-08-2022, 4:37 PM

Glenn, trying to make sure I understand. I can clamp to my bench top and I do. Mostly use on 3/4 stock and use the 20mm depth setting, always from the same face reference. All knobs are tight. You suggest I mill some flat stock that I can put the piece and tool both on vs only using fence to hold tight to the work? Thanks. Brian

Bryan Hall
10-08-2022, 6:04 PM
I had the same issue on mine and thought it was me for a few years. Finally after trying every hack on here I just sat down and played with it a bunch until I finally noticed the flaw, when my fence gets clamped it moves. So, sometimes it's at 90, sometimes 91, sometimes 89. I use a square to set mine now. Will likely purchase aftermarket solutions in the near future.

Jason Evans
10-08-2022, 6:37 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Carmonius Finsnickeri jig that was hijacked from woodpecker yet, so you should check that out if you plan to use the domino a lot. I have the domiplate and I built the Carmonius jig. They are both good, my domiplate isn’t totally flat, but works, I like using the Carmonius jig a lot more, if I can.

Mike Henderson
10-08-2022, 7:58 PM
So how to salvage my work? Redo existing mortise or hand plane joints afterwards? Thanks brian

When I screw up a Domino mortise, I glue a domino into it and when the glue is well set, I cut the domino off flush. Then remake the domino mortise.

Mike

Johnny Barr
10-09-2022, 4:38 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Carmonius Finsnickeri jig that was hijacked from woodpecker yet, so you should check that out if you plan to use the domino a lot. I have the domiplate and I built the Carmonius jig. They are both good, my domiplate isn’t totally flat, but works, I like using the Carmonius jig a lot more, if I can.

Yes Jason, I have the domiplate which is excellent and I made the Carmonius jig and was so impressed I bought the Veritas version from Lee Valley and love it. Carmonius helped design it and I was pleased that he gets a royalty from each sale (unlike the other mob). So I only use the fence when using bevel joints but having said all that the clamp hack, which I've also done and mentioned in the video above is an excellent and inexpensive solution for solidly locking the fence down.

Brian Runau
10-12-2022, 9:11 AM
I adjusted the domino handles, fence etc... checked everything, and still had some height difference that I felt was not OK. I lowered the slot and opened up the size of the mortise just slightly on my vertical pieces and when I did the glue up I used the kreg clamp on both side of these joints to hold them flush. not idea, but it let me get the glue up done.

Brian