PDA

View Full Version : Changing a the motor in my dust collector?

Josh Goldsmith
01-24-2006, 1:24 AM
My dust collector is a delta 1 1/2 hp 1200cfm. I was thinking about changing the motor because i want more cfm's. Is that possible? How would i find how much a motor will create cfm's or just go on hp? Any info would be much appreciated. I want to suck the wood of the table instead of a gental breeze across it:D .LOL. Thanks again.

Josh

Norman Hitt
01-24-2006, 1:35 AM
My dust collector is a delta 1 1/2 hp 1200cfm. I was thinking about changing the motor because i want more cfm's. Is that possible? How would i find how much a motor will create cfm's or just go on hp? Any info would be much appreciated. I want to suck the wood of the table instead of a gental breeze across it:D .LOL. Thanks again.

Josh

Josh, unless your motor is underpowered for the size impeller you have now, and if it were, you would have probably have already burned it up), you won't see much if any increase in CFM by increasing the hp. To get a substantial increase in CFM, you would have to get a larger diameter impeller along with the larger motor. You would also probably need to increase the size of your filter or bag area as well.

Note: It is possible that by just increasing the hp, and opening an additional blastgate, you "MIGHT" get a small increase in CFM, but nothing substantial IMHO.

tod evans
01-24-2006, 7:07 AM
josh, norman is right, you`re not gonna spin that puppy any faster by increasing the horsepower. the only way to move more air is to increase fan speed or fan size.......02 tod

Bob Dodge
01-24-2006, 1:59 PM
Josh,

What dc do you have? Can you provide some detail info, such as impeller size, blower inlet diameter, outlet diameter, and filter details.

How are you using your dc? Hooked-up direct? Duct run? Ceiling drops? Duct size? Duct type? How long are your runs?

99 times out of 100, small dc owners are using their dc's improperly. By far, the biggest problem is poor duct design, improper hoods. Utilizing a dc within it's limitations, will yield a much more satisfying experience.

If you can provide a detailed description of your ducting, from the dc's inlet to your machine, maybe we can tweek a lil' extra oomph from that sucker.

All the best, Bob