PDA

View Full Version : roller on chair rubber ball failing?

Brian Runau
10-06-2022, 1:11 PM
I have some oak chairs in the kitchen that I put rubber rollers on. Been in use probably 5-6 years now. Last couple weeks I've noticed some round black spots on the floor where we use the chairs. I thought it might be oil from the bearing, but the spots are not oily to the touch. Could the rubber on the round black roller be breaking down at this point and when I put my 240 lbs on it they are leaving a black mark where it sits on the floor? I can replace the rollers, but not sure how long to expect the rubber on the roller to hold up.

Thanks.

Brian

Richard Coers
10-06-2022, 2:15 PM
Not unusual for imported rubber or urethane casters to fail in short order. I have coated wheel casters that completely broke up with huge chunks coming off. You can smell something's up when you walk into a Harbor Freight. The smell of cheap rubber and cosmolene just permeates that place.

Brian Runau
10-06-2022, 2:37 PM
Not unusual for imported rubber or urethane casters to fail in short order. I have coated wheel casters that completely broke up with huge chunks coming off. You can smell something's up when you walk into a Harbor Freight. The smell of cheap rubber and cosmolene just permeates that place.

These weren't cheap, but probably China made. Never was a smell. Guess I'll replace them.