PDA

View Full Version : Correct Router Plate Size?

Jeff Cord
01-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I just got a Rockler router plate for my Craftsman router (they actually have one for Craftsman).
What I am questioning though are the dimensions and I want to be sure before I start cutting holes in my table.
Measuring the router it is 10 1/2" from the edge of one handle to the edge of the other.
The router plate is only 11" end to end.
If I am supposed to cut the opening 1/2" under-size that makes a 10" opening for a 10 1/2" inch router.
Isn't this too small?
Or when I drop the router through the hole do you tilt it so as to not hit the edges?
Jeff

Barry O'Mahony
01-24-2006, 12:05 AM
They usually mount to the plate so that the handles are on the diagonals.

Norman Hitt
01-24-2006, 1:13 AM
What Barry said, but I always remove the handles from the router I use in the Router Table which gives extra room, and are not needed there anyhow. I just put the handles and any screws or associated hardware in a ziplock freezer bag and label them so I can put them back on should I have the need to remove it and use it as a hand held router in the future, since it only takes a couple of minutes to put them back on.

Jeff Cord
01-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Yup, they mount diagonal. I guess that's a "duh" on my part. It fits.
Now I know why they taught the pythagorean theorem in school (or at least why I married a math teacher).

Unfortunately the handles are not removable: that's where the power switch is.

Thanks for the answers.