PDA

View Full Version : 14" Bandsaw Tire

Bob McBreen
10-04-2022, 8:00 PM
The tire on the top wheel of my 30 year old 14" Jet bandsaw came off while cutting today. I am not sure if I should just put the tire back on or replace both tires. If replace, what kind of replacement should I purchase? Thanks for your help.

Lee Schierer
10-04-2022, 9:30 PM
IMO you are asking for trouble if you put it back on. I would recommend replacing both tires. I had the upper tire fail on my 14' SAW, coming off in pieces, so I had no choice. The old tires were somewhat flexible, but if you bent them very much they would break. I contacted several suppliers seeking the proper tires for my wheels. The folks at Sulphur Grove tool were the most helpful and had the best price for a pair of new tires. Shipping was prompt and low cost. They fit my wheels exactly. I did a test cut several days after installing the tires and the blade tracked exactly how it had on the old tires.

Mel Fulks
10-04-2022, 9:36 PM
In employments when a tire came off ,we just glued it back on. Unless it was “cracking up”.

Bruce Wrenn
10-05-2022, 9:26 PM
In employments when a tire came off ,we just glued it back on. Unless it was “cracking up”.

I don't think tires on 14" band saws are glued on. I ran a set of Sulphur Grove tires for over 20 years, before they failed. Check Blue Max tires along with Sulphur Grove. I avoid the Carters, as they don't fill out the wheels on my Delta BS.