PDA

View Full Version : 1.25" spindle for Grizzly 1026

Dave Norris
10-04-2022, 12:13 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone know of a supplier/source for a 1 1/4" spindle for a Grizzly 1026 shaper?

I've been using bushings on the 1" spindle, but now need to stack a couple 1 1/4" cutters and can't get the right spacing due to the bushings.

Thanks
Dave

Warren Lake
10-04-2022, 1:33 PM
always had bushings to do anything but when you get to two cutters say to make a tennon with a spacer between it can get more complicated. Its too bad there are so many sizes. all my machines are 1 1/4 except the first one I bought and that was a 40 year ago mistake.

Dave Norris
10-04-2022, 2:45 PM
when you get to two cutters say to make a tennon with a spacer between it can get more complicated.

Exactly where I'm at...

Steve Jenkins
10-04-2022, 3:03 PM
Sounds like you are using top hat bushings. You can get bushings that don’t have the ridge so you can stack cutters

Dave Norris
10-04-2022, 3:43 PM
I am using the top hat or T bushings. Didn't even think of a plain bushing... that might be the ticket

Dave Norris
10-04-2022, 4:08 PM
If I'm looking at the right things

There seem to be a lot more sizes in 3/4 to 1 1/4... The only 1" to 1 1/4" I've found so far is 7/16" high, while the 3/4 to 1 1/4 have a range of 1/4 to 1/2 high by 16ths, and then 3/4 and 1 high.

I'll keep looking though

Bill Dufour
10-04-2022, 4:44 PM
The length of a bushing can be shortened easy enough. It is not critical. Sander. grinder, hacksaw. I would look at bearing bushings or DOM tube for a wider selection.
Bill D

derek labian
10-04-2022, 6:47 PM
Dave,

I had a PM26 shaper with a 1" spindle and had similar problems since everything comes in 1". Grizzly does sell a variety of bushings cheaply that will solve your issue.

Example:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/woodstock-straight-bushing-1-id-x-1-1-4-od/w1155

I did have trouble getting perfect fits with bushings and so decided to get rid of the PM26 and get a 1 1/4 spindled shaper instead.

Good luck!

Derek

Dave Norris
10-05-2022, 11:28 AM
Thanks Everyone for the replies.

I'm wondering if using one T bushing from the top that would be 11/32 on the sleeve would work with a 1/2" cutter... That would be 5/32nds short, so a whisker over an 1/8" short. It would be a T bushing, 1/2 cutter, 1/2" spacer, 1/2 cutter, and then an 11/32" t bushing on the bottom.

I'm partial (for no particular reason I guess) to Amana cutters, and I have a place I can get a decent discount on them, plus free shipping.

There is a 1 1/4" shaper in the future, but planning a move in the next year or so, so putting it off till then and maybe it can ship straight to the new place.

Paul Haus
10-05-2022, 1:29 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone know of a supplier/source for a 1 1/4" spindle for a Grizzly 1026 shaper?

I've been using bushings on the 1" spindle, but now need to stack a couple 1 1/4" cutters and can't get the right spacing due to the bushings.

Thanks
Dave
I have a couple of 1.25" cutters and bearings that I use on my shaper. One of them is the Grizzly Spiral Cutterhead along with the bearing. I also have the long 1" spindle but I've used the 3/4" one at times. I typicaly use a T-Bushing on the top of the bearing, either a T-bushing or long T-bushing on the bottom of the cutter. Between the cutter and bushing I use a Double T-bushing to join the 2 together. Because of the thickness of the bearing, I had to machine one side of the Double T_Bushing down so it wouldn't contact the T-bushing on the top. It's all worked out well for me.
On a side note, I have read of people that have taken a spindle from another brand of shaper and had the base remachined to fit another brand of shaper, but I don't know which would work with a Grizzly.
Good luck, hope that helps.