PDA

View Full Version : Russian Birch Price Jolt

John Goodin
10-03-2022, 10:15 PM
I have never really been shocked or complained about the cost of woodworking. As a hobbyist it is truly therapeutic and since I don't hunt, golf or fish I can rationalize the expense.

However, today I was shocked when I bought a 5X5 sheet of 1/2" Russian Birch. I simply handed over the credit card and didn't ask about the price because when you need it you need it. With tax the total for a single sheet was 101 dollars. This is double a pre-covid, pre-invasion price.

I hate that it comes from Russia, wish the Chinese Birch was "good enough" and would have gladly paid an extra 20 percent if it had been manufactured in Ukraine but alas it what it is. Luckily I was able to get all the rough cut parts out of a out of a single sheet and will proceed with extreme caution. I certainly don't want to buy another sheet to replace a part I cut too short. If I do, my wife will learn another way I can string together six, four-letter words into a sentence.

Cary Falk
10-04-2022, 5:25 AM
I priced some 3/4" about 3 months ago and I think it was around $160. I didn't need it that bad.

Keegan Shields
10-04-2022, 8:47 AM
John,

Where did you go? I was shocked also when the 3/4" BB 4x8 sheets were $150 each at Fine Lumber 6 months ago. I'm curious if prices have gone up or remained stable.

Hopefully with the housing market cooling off, the cabinet grade plywood prices will come down also. That might be wishful thinking though.

-Keegan

Jim Becker
10-04-2022, 10:25 AM
Honestly, you were fortunate to even be able to buy that BB...until alternative supplies ramp up, there's not a lot of this stuff available in many geographies. I'm surprised it was only $110!!

roger wiegand
10-04-2022, 11:29 AM
Yes, that price is down a little from where it was a month or two ago. It's $115 before tax here.

There's no shortage of birch/alder in north America, hopefully some meaningful competition will arise, I don't think our trade situation with Russia should improve any time soon. Finland and the Baltic states should also be able to increase production some.

Ron Selzer
10-04-2022, 11:36 AM
Throwing this out just because
Was buying lifts of 3/4 Baltic Birch 5'x5'x3/4 for $29 sheet approximately 3-4 years ago. Don't remember 1/2" and 1/4" price

Dave Sabo
10-04-2022, 12:01 PM
Was buying

:D :D :D

In my youth I “was buying” candy bars for a quarter.

My gramps was buying bread for a nickel a loaf.

It’s all an interesting story/ history lesson but I don’t think it’s helpful. Only thing that matters is what’s the price of “x” today , in Austin, or Atlanta, or Lancaster. Nickel bread and thirty dollar sheets of BB are relics of the past.

Bryan Hall
10-04-2022, 12:19 PM
I pay $220 a sheet for BB here.
$240 for walnut veneer.
$270 for apple.

Fairly numb to it at this point.

Edwin Santos
10-04-2022, 12:37 PM
Throwing this out just because
Was buying lifts of 3/4 Baltic Birch 5'x5'x3/4 for $29 sheet approximately 3-4 years ago. Don't remember 1/2" and 1/4" price

:D :D :D

In my youth I “was buying” candy bars for a quarter.

My gramps was buying bread for a nickel a loaf.

It’s all an interesting story/ history lesson but I don’t think it’s helpful. Only thing that matters is what’s the price of “x” today , in Austin, or Atlanta, or Lancaster. Nickel bread and thirty dollar sheets of BB are relics of the past.

We've aged a lot in 2 years!

chuck van dyck
10-04-2022, 12:45 PM
Yes, that price is down a little from where it was a month or two ago. It's $115 before tax here.

There's no shortage of birch/alder in north America, hopefully some meaningful competition will arise, I don't think our trade situation with Russia should improve any time soon. Finland and the Baltic states should also be able to increase production some.

No offense, but I don't think the return on investment for a project like that is gonna be too motivating, and a US made product would likely be twice the price.

I'm seeing a lot of prices but no grade listed. B/BB is gonna be a lot more than BB/BB.

Keegan Shields
10-04-2022, 3:52 PM
No offense, but I don't think the return on investment for a project like that is gonna be too motivating, and a US made product would likely be twice the price.

I'm seeing a lot of prices but no grade listed. B/BB is gonna be a lot more than BB/BB.

Yep, I see these comments a lot when it comes to ammo component production like primers as well.

Companies making large CAPEX (think factory) level investments are looking at years or decades of operation before they make their investment back.

That's why a bunch of plywood factories don't spring up each time there are elevated plywood prices for a few years. Or we have a primer shortage.

This is in addition to all of the other factors like cost of raw materials, cost of labor, regulations, and future market outlook.

Bill Dufour
10-05-2022, 12:37 AM
I am surprised there was any Russian product left in the USA with the sanctions. Maybe people pass it by and buy baltic birch instead?
Bill D

Bryan Hall
10-05-2022, 12:47 AM
I am surprised there was any Russian product left in the USA with the sanctions. Maybe people pass it by and buy baltic birch instead?
Bill D

Originally it was going to disappear with no return in sight. Recently, my vendor told me it's just in a loophole now. Russia sells it to China, China sells it to USA. I can't verify that but it's what they told me.

John Goodin
10-05-2022, 1:07 AM
Fine Lumber. I was shocked because they always seem to be fairly priced. Not that there are many options in Austin. What part of Austin do you live. I am far west Cedar Park off Anderson Mill.

John,

Where did you go? I was shocked also when the 3/4" BB 4x8 sheets were $150 each at Fine Lumber 6 months ago. I'm curious if prices have gone up or remained stable.

Hopefully with the housing market cooling off, the cabinet grade plywood prices will come down also. That might be wishful thinking though.

-Keegan

John Goodin
10-05-2022, 1:17 AM
I was too but the lift below had certificate stating it was made in Russia. The “Baltic birch” ply here comes in two flavors; Chinese (cheaper inferior) and something from Russia or a Eastern European state (quality, more expensive).

Bill D

William Lessenberry
10-05-2022, 1:28 AM
18mm 5' x 5' BB/BB Russian Birch was $78.70 a sheet +$7.66 sales tax and a $10 "CPU LOAD FEE". Found out CPU means Customer Pick Up. I asked the girl if they would deliver it for $10 and she just smiled at me.:o Guess this is kinda like self check out at the grocery store. Also a 1.5% credit card processing fee for a grand total of $97.81. This was at AWP Wood Products in Little Rock, AR today.
BillL

Christopher Stahl
10-05-2022, 3:32 AM
Fine Lumber. I was shocked because they always seem to be fairly priced. Not that there are many options in Austin. What part of Austin do you live. I am far west Cedar Park off Anderson Mill.

I also go to Fine Lumber. What other options do you know of in Austin because that's really the only one I know of. I'm in Leander.

Keegan Shields
10-05-2022, 8:03 AM

I’m in NW Austin as well, off FM620 and Anderson Mill. Since I usually want to buy hardwood lumber at the same time, I use Fine Lumber. But there is also Dakota Premium Hardwoods that I’d like to visit. It’s about the same distance from my house. Their website shows a broad selection of plywoods, including some with hardwood veneer. Not sure what their hardwood selection looks like.

One of the employees at Fine Lumber did mention the owner doesn’t post pricing online because of competitors. I thought that was interesting because cost is a bit of a mystery until they total it up.