PDA

View Full Version : I guess the tradesmen are all pretty busy

dennis thompson
10-03-2022, 11:00 AM
We are having some work done in our kitchen. the cost will be around $15,000.
We made our choice but what surprises me is that we never even got a follow up call from the people who we didn't choose.
I guess the tradesmen are all pretty busy, but too busy to even make a follow up call?

Jerome Stanek
10-03-2022, 11:45 AM
I check with Bathfitters to do my tub. The price he had if I signed that night was $1000 less then if I signed the next day and then that price was only good for a week. The price either way was outragous and they didn't call back for over a month and wondered why I didn't sign. I told them that I didn't like the salesman as he never gave me a breakdown and he bashed all the other companies.

Doug Garson
10-03-2022, 12:01 PM
I need some stucco repair on our house. Contacted 3 companies and requested bids . Only one responded, he's working out of town and twice has apologized because he hasn't made it here to give us an estimate.

Kev Williams
10-03-2022, 12:32 PM
I've recently been bombed with orders for thousands of engraved ID labels for power panels and meters for new condo/apartment builds; many orders I get directly from builders, others are coming from all the local electric supply companies. I've been in this biz for 48 years, and I've never seen such high quantity orders for basic ID labels before. And that's just HERE-- I can only imagine how many tradesmen across the country are giving serious thought to what's now a massive need for their services along the east coast? That's only going to make the current shortage of available services across our country worse. And OMG, I can only imagine how many scammer ***holes are licking their chops right now...

Perry Hilbert Jr
10-03-2022, 12:48 PM
I called seven contractor for estimates for a job I figured would run about 9K Only two showed up to actually look at the job and only one gave an estimate. Ironically, about $200 below what I figured. What is did not like, is the guy showed up in a 20 yr old station wagon, flip flops and cut off jeans. When i asked for his insurance certification, he said he would have to find it. (Huh, just get another)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2022, 1:15 PM
7 years ago, we had an addition added to our kitchen and all the windows in our house replaced. I telephoned 3 contractors asking for bids. One showed up and dared to argue with my wife about what she wanted and he wanted to use a different design layout of the addition. I was surprised she let him off the property alive. One guy came, talked with us and gave us an estimate. The 3rd guy didn't respond to my message on his answering machine. The guy with the estimate got the job. With all new appliances, flooring, cabinetry and the addition, we spent about $75,000.

When we replaced our furnace and AC 3 years ago, I contacted 3 local HVAC companies. Two provided written estimates. The 3rd company owner showed up, got into an argument with me about what I wanted, took our information and never sent an estimate.

I think you are correct. The trades are busy and fewer people are going into the trades.

glenn bradley
10-03-2022, 2:16 PM
Similar experience to the OP here. I always get at least 3 quotes and only 1 called me back to follow up. They got the job and I can hear them grouting tile as I write this. This is where good and bad tradesmen meet their business skills or lack thereof. Always answer your work messages be they voice, email, or text. If my folks wanted to get called in on the carpet all I had to do was hear from someone that they weren't getting status or a response to their inquiries.

Same goes with answering the phone nowadays . . . what is up with that!?! Seriously, you can't tell your current caller "hold on a moment please", put the current call on hold, pick up the ringing line and say "XYZ Corp. Could you please hold?". In a job long ago the support staff were in a large office with the boss' office right next door. If ANY incoming call rang the fourth time you would hear his door slam and a second later he would burst into our office. Woe be to he who failed to pick up the call. :D

Brian Elfert
10-03-2022, 2:25 PM
It becomes difficult to get any paying work done if you're calling back a few dozen people every day to tell them you are too busy to take on any new work. They should be calling people back, but I can sure understand why contractors get sick of doing it day after day.

Tom M King
10-03-2022, 2:39 PM
I finally put my phone on silence unknown callers, so it only rings if you are in my Contacts list, and I have never used Voicemail even though it's provided by the cell service. I'm not looking for more work though. I made the mistake of putting my phone number on my website years ago, and even though it's been taken off the website long ago, it's still out there somewhere.

If anyone doesn't call you back, or return a quote, they don't want the job for whatever reason.

Lee Schierer
10-03-2022, 5:13 PM
It becomes difficult to get any paying work done if you're calling back a few dozen people every day to tell them you are too busy to take on any new work. They should be calling people back, but I can sure understand why contractors get sick of doing it day after day.

The simple answer to that is if you are too busy to take on any more work, send all your calls to voice mail and change your greeting to say you are not accepting any more work right now.

John Lanciani
10-03-2022, 5:35 PM
The harsh reality is it isn't "the good old days" anymore. The rules have changed; instead of consumers getting quotes from 3 or more contractors and picking who they want to do the work contractors are meeting clients and choosing who they want to work for. If as a consumer one of your first questions is either "how much?" Or "how soon?" you're not likely to get on the schedule of a top tier contractor.

Edwin Santos
10-03-2022, 8:20 PM
The harsh reality is it isn't "the good old days" anymore. The rules have changed; instead of consumers getting quotes from 3 or more contractors and picking who they want to do the work contractors are meeting clients and choosing who they want to work for. If as a consumer one of your first questions is either "how much?" Or "how soon?" you're not likely to get on the schedule of a top tier contractor.

Give it a little time. There are enough storm clouds over the economy at the moment that it may not be long before trades are hungry again.

Bruce Wrenn
10-03-2022, 9:36 PM
Having spent a lifetime in the building business, I can tell you that there is no such thing as a free estimate. Somebody has to pay for time spent figuring out what customer wants, and most importantly can afford. It's a total waste of time to get together an estimate and then customer realizes that it's not even in their ballpark range. Last 25 years, had three customers who were 90% of my work. Retired almost five years ago.

Jack Frederick
10-03-2022, 10:49 PM
For every 5 people retiring out of the HVAC trade only one is entering it. There was a Post article today pointing out that if the US is to electrify it needs many more electricians. You can extend that pretty much across the board to all trades. It is systemic. People are slammed, unorganized and driving everyone crazy including themselves. Ah, the joy!

Aaron Rosenthal
10-04-2022, 12:55 AM
It's not just contractors; Tried to buy a car, lately?
I knew exactly what I wanted, as I'm bent on replacing my 2004 Mazda B3000 Pickup. I'm retired, but do enough that a pickup is a good thing, and a hybrid is even better.
I e-mailed EVERY of my preferred manufacturer's dealers in within 40 miles. It's more than 12 dealers.
4 emailed me back: one, almost immediately; another phoned me (I asked no phone calls) then sent something I had not requested; a third, gave me almost what I asked for, and the last one emailed me that she had given my name to a salesman and I should contact him.
Pathetic.
Yes, I've picked the dealer, and I'll be ordering it probably tomorrow.

Ron Citerone
10-04-2022, 8:36 AM
It's not just contractorsc.

Yes it's Nurses, Teachers and everything actually. I think the impact of the Baby Boomer generation retiring is a big part of it. I live in Delaware County PA, one of the most densely populated counties in the country. I read a stat that 70% of Master Pumbers in the county are 55 or older. My local high school's graduating class is only 60% of what it was when I graduated in 1976.

Keegan Shields
10-04-2022, 9:12 AM
Just wait for the interest rates to climb and the housing market to cool off. I noticed the private equity firms stopped buying homes in the spring here in NW Austin. That's a leading indicator of what's to come.

Much of the current construction developments were started (land purchase, permitting, financing, etc.) 18 months ago or longer. Once these projects are finished, it will accelerate the cooling off of the housing market by dumping more supply into a slowing market. I'm guessing there will be more trades people available for smaller jobs here in 12 months. Austin is a strange housing market though.

Point is, interest rates raise first, then demand goes down for houses currently on the market, then new homes are finished - further increasing the supply, which leads to lower prices, then cancelled planned developments, then far fewer projects for tradespeople to work on. It will be interesting to see if the reno market cools off along with the housing market as unemployment remains very low. I'm not sure what percent of reno projects are financed, but that may contribute.

Jim Becker
10-04-2022, 10:11 AM
Yes it's Nurses, Teachers and everything actually. I think the impact of the Baby Boomer generation retiring is a big part of it. I live in Delaware County PA, one of the most densely populated counties in the country. I read a stat that 70% of Master Pumbers in the county are 55 or older. My local high school's graduating class is only 60% of what it was when I graduated in 1976.
I suspect it's similar over here in Bucks County, too, Ron. It's difficult to engage multiples of a given trade. I'm thankful that the electrician that did our generator was available and willing to do my shop power feed project, too. Nobody else would even bid on it...a $5000 job is too small for the folks that are uber-busy and booked out.

Jim Becker
10-04-2022, 10:34 AM
Generalize much, my friend? ;)

Stan Calow
10-04-2022, 1:44 PM
Being a skilled tradesman doesn't mean you know how to run a business or do customer service. I dont think that its a good idea to try and run a business with a cellphone as your office.

I always suspect that the ones who return your call are not busy for a reason.

George Yetka
10-04-2022, 3:26 PM
As a commercial mechanical contractor. My estimates are bigger with less markup then residential so mine take a lot longer. Mostly due to tracking down subcontractors and equipment pricing. I find that I cant get pricing from the factories, my local salesmen are bending over backwards to try and help but they cant get the pricing on things to get me. And if I do get the price and get the job I can actually get the equipment in some cases for over a year, and those estimates are guesses.

I know not every contractor is a good guy but I'm sure supply chain may be part of some delays in getting estimates. On top of that most contractors nowadays are doing more business with less manpower then they were 10 years ago.

In a market were there is money to spend smaller contractors have to aim at the low hanging fruit. If theres any thought that a client is going to be an issue a lot will move on. They'd rather hit the next guy who isnt going to "easy"

Doug Garson
10-04-2022, 4:20 PM
Being a skilled tradesman doesn't mean you know how to run a business or do customer service. I dont think that its a good idea to try and run a business with a cellphone as your office.

I always suspect that the ones who return your call are not busy for a reason.
So never hire a contractor who is not too busy to respond to your request for a quote?? :confused: Sounds like a Catch 22 situation.

Reminds me of Groucho Marx's letter of resignation to the Friars' Club: “I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.

Tom Bender
10-05-2022, 7:09 AM
A lot of contractors don't need to give estimates. Their reputation allows them to respond to past customers and reliable referrals and ignore the rest. They visit the site, close the deal and schedule in one visit.

When we wanted our kitchen redone we went to a reputable contractor who charged $100 for a detailed estimate. I was happy to pay that rather than pay for their overhead to provide free estimates to many 'shoppers'. It went really well.

Dave Lehnert
10-05-2022, 5:55 PM
I wanted to get my deck replaced.
First guy I called came out, took measurements etc... Never heard a thing from him.
Second guy was highly recommended, Told me he be out next day. Sat at home all day and never showed.
Third guy- I had a friend who worked for a deck company, Salesmen said he would come out. Never seen or heard from him again.

Went through the same thing with roofing a siding contractors.

I understand being busy,but why say you will come out and never show?

I just think they are lazy and only work when they are desperate for money. Will only take the work that is easy.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-05-2022, 6:22 PM
The Roman Empire fell because the wealthy and powerful eliminated the middle class.

Doug Garson
10-05-2022, 6:33 PM
I just think they are lazy and only work when they are desperate for money. Will only take the work that is easy.

I think it is more likely they are working 10 hours a day 6 days a week and just don't know how to manage their time so they think they can find the time tomorrow but are so snowed under they don't. They can't say no, I'm too busy because not long ago they were desperate for work. But maybe I'm just an optimist and just try to see the best in people.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-05-2022, 6:41 PM
Gentlemen woodworkers griping about trades people? Definitely a first world problem.

I Identify 100% as a trades person. I got rid of the land line a few months ago. My flip phone has no voicemail. My regulars always ask whether or not they should give people my number. I have always made it a goal to be trustworthy. I have finally found a group of trustworthy folks to work for after 40 years.

Bill George
10-06-2022, 8:14 AM
As a commercial mechanical contractor. My estimates are bigger with less markup then residential so mine take a lot longer. Mostly due to tracking down subcontractors and equipment pricing. I find that I cant get pricing from the factories, my local salesmen are bending over backwards to try and help but they cant get the pricing on things to get me. And if I do get the price and get the job I can actually get the equipment in some cases for over a year, and those estimates are guesses.

I know not every contractor is a good guy but I'm sure supply chain may be part of some delays in getting estimates. On top of that most contractors nowadays are doing more business with less manpower then they were 10 years ago.

In a market were there is money to spend smaller contractors have to aim at the low hanging fruit. If theres any thought that a client is going to be an issue a lot will move on. They'd rather hit the next guy who isnt going to "easy"

Most commercial construction jobs I worked on were bid jobs and had prints to work from and we had a guy in the office that did it all off those prints. Otherwise it was a quick visit to the site, an equipment price and then a estimate that could vary. No firm prices unless prints, and spec's.

Tom M King
10-06-2022, 8:35 AM
I think it is more likely they are working 10 hours a day 6 days a week and just don't know how to manage their time so they think they can find the time tomorrow but are so snowed under they don't. They can't say no, I'm too busy because not long ago they were desperate for work. But maybe I'm just an optimist and just try to see the best in people.

Winner post of this thread.

dennis thompson
10-06-2022, 9:25 AM

When I started this thread I didn't mean it to be critical of trades people and I agree that Doug is probably right, certainly here in NJ
I also agree with Lee's suggestion to put a message on your phone that you are no longer accepting work.
Note that i finally got a follow up email from the people I didn't use, about 2-3 weeks after they gave me an estimate.
Kitchen should be done in the next few days:)

Jim Becker
10-06-2022, 9:48 AM
Yes, I think there is a big element of reality in Doug's statement, especially with the "mom and pop" contractors that just cannot keep up because so many of their peers have retired or otherwise left the business.

andrew whicker
10-06-2022, 10:05 AM
100%. I'm just now transferring over to "sorry, I'm too busy until Nov" (or whatever)

Both parties are at fault. The energy of "I have this really valuable cash on hand and I want this tradesperson to show me how badly he wants it" is bad energy from the customer side that customers don't often think about, for example. Everyone has been burned in relationships. Work relationships are no different. And that kind of energy is a red flag to me. Not that I won't work with you, but it is a red flag. I think it comes from protecting ourselves from the shady used car salesmen types, which do exist in the contracting world for sure.

Another thing customers do that frustrates the process and makes it difficult to 'find' contractors: live in the same house for years, finally decide to pull the trigger on XYZ unnecessary, but upgraded change and need it done within 2 weeks of our initial phone conversation.

Both parties have to be reasonable and professional.

Brian Elfert
10-06-2022, 11:08 AM
How quickly the customer wants a job done is not an issue if a contractor never even returns a call to determine what the customer wants.

Some of our economic slowdown is because people have money, but they can't buy goods or services. I would rather have a slowdown due to lack of goods and services rather than a slowdown due to lack of money.

Bryan Hall
10-06-2022, 12:07 PM
I'm a full time contractor that does custom work but have been everything from a handyman to fences/decks, to finish carpentry and now primarily cabinets, builtins, furniture so I'll throw in my comments:

#1. I respond to every inquiry within 24 hours. Even if I say it's not a fit.

#2. I expect you to send me rough measurements and pictures so I can give you a rough estimate via e-mail. If the estimate is in the right ballpark, I'll come to your home to confirm but I'm charging you $350 for that. It goes to your project if you hire me. If you don't, then no-ones time has been wasted.

#3. There's a big difference in hiring a company with a sales team, bid team, office team, and work teams vs an owner/operator. Figuring out and knowing who you've contacted and what you want is important.

#4. As an owner/operator, having the skill to do the work, the charisma to sell the work, the organization to manage the business, the competence to design a website, and the focus to juggle it all.... is a huge ask of anyone and most fall short in multiple divisions, almost all fall short in at least one category.

#5. The Portland Metro area has 2.5 million people in it. I get about 1 solid lead a week. Clearly tons of people don't even know about my business. Which is likely the case for you, when searching for a contractor. You probably have barely scratched the surface with how many are available.

#6 I'm currently booking for March/April and May is already booked. My neighbor (deck builder) is never booked for more than a month out but he's less than a year into running his business (and easily the best deck builder I've ever met).

Biggest thing I'll say is stay positive. I treat contractors who come to my home like welcomed guests. We get pretty good at sensing irritable clients. Don't ever tell me you had a contractor quit on you, I don't want to hop into drama, no matter who's fault it was.

Tom M King
10-06-2022, 12:08 PM
I was just told, a few minutes ago, that there is an open call for laborers in Florida for $50 an hour. Our farriers told me that they know several people who have already headed that way.

Jim Becker
10-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Tom, the number I saw was $15 an hour.

Tom M King
10-06-2022, 2:57 PM
Just passing on what the farriers told me. I don't think the workforce will get increased much at 15 bucks an hour.

Cameron Wood
10-06-2022, 3:57 PM
I've been a contractor for a long time, and am occasionally guilty of not following up. I've never advertised and have not been short of work for decades.
I don't generally pick up the phone unless it's a current client, and usually return calls the following day, as I don't prioritize speed so those in a hurry are not a good fit.
Folks don't always realize that when they are interviewing contractors, the contractors are also interviewing them.
in my world of residential remodeling, referrals are everything and finding a contractor from ads is for those with no friends or maybe new in town.
it's often a matter of timing, so keep looking until you find someone qualified and available is a good strategy.

Brian Elfert
10-06-2022, 5:24 PM
I don't think people get upset when it takes a day or two for a contractor to call back. It is the ones that never call back that are the issue. The problem is the vast majority of qualified contractors are not available for months. Right now you generally can't find a contractor who is both qualified and available. Any contractor who can start next week in today's environment is probably not the one you want to hire. Any contractor worth hiring should be booked weeks out at a minimum.

Jim Becker
10-06-2022, 7:34 PM
Just passing on what the farriers told me. I don't think the workforce will get increased much at 15 bucks an hour.

They are targeting many of the seasonal/migrant/recent immigrant workers for this clean-up work.

Doug Garson
10-06-2022, 8:28 PM
They are targeting many of the seasonal/migrant/recent immigrant workers for this clean-up work.
Maybe they should target Martha's Vineyard. :cool:

Doug Garson
10-06-2022, 8:31 PM
I don't think people get upset when it takes a day or two for a contractor to call back. It is the ones that never call back that are the issue. The problem is the vast majority of qualified contractors are not available for months. Right now you generally can't find a contractor who is both qualified and available. Any contractor who can start next week in today's environment is probably not the one you want to hire. Any contractor worth hiring should be booked weeks out at a minimum.
I think one exception might be a very small fill in type job while the contractor waits for materials or drawings etc.

andrew whicker
10-06-2022, 10:31 PM
yeah, I don't think I'm a bad contractor at all. I'm still building my Rolodex, so to speak. If it's a day long job, I can def fit you in within a few weeks. If it's a full week or longer, then yes, I need to push it out. Not as far out as Bryan, but I do need to push it out.

For me, I'm finding it's a blend of hustle and a blend of higher end, time intensive projects. Both categories have different customers and different expectations. I try to listen to guys like Bryan since he seems like he has found a successful balance. As he points out, the expectations that I'm going to be amazing at every aspect of business ownership while the customer *cough" has a fairly limited in work scope W2 job... is being overly critical. OTH, that's like every customer so I just smile and ignore the patronization as much as possible : )

Today I was doing a 'hustle' job. Tomorrow I'll do two 'hustle' jobs. Sat I'll help with framing (another hustle job).

Then I have my high end work load: speaker set and benches. I'm on the hunt for a few bigger, longer contractor jobs.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-07-2022, 7:53 AM
Maybe they should target Martha's Vineyard. :cool:

My Spanish is terrible. I try a sentence or two anyway. I find recent Immigrants to be very relatable.

Maurice Mcmurry
10-07-2022, 8:15 AM
What is did not like, is the guy showed up in a 20 yr old station wagon, flip flops and cut off jeans. When i asked for his insurance certification, he said he would have to find it. (Huh, just get another)

My wagon is even older, I wear cut off jeans but my boots go on at 5:00 am. I canceled business insurance years ago and am very transparent about it. Hire me at your own risk is my policy now. Several of my clients have purchased homeowners endorsements that protect me as a worker as well as themselves and their property.

Jim Koepke
10-07-2022, 10:39 AM

Clean up workers are likely not getting $50/hr. Skilled construction workers may not show up for less.

After reading all the above, I'm glad my grandson and I were able to build our two porches/decks without having to hire anyone.

jtk