PDA

View Full Version : I just spent 2-1/2 hrs squaring my Incra sled to my blade, kill me now!

Brian Runau
10-03-2022, 10:57 AM
I have a 17 year old Sears professional table saw. Not great, but usually works for what I do as a hobbyist and my age (65). I can't justify $3500 for a new saw at 66 years old, when the Sears usually does what I need it too.

Anyway, I went through and squared my blade to the mitre slot with .001. Did the same to the fence within .001. Blade is a newish Forest blade. I have the Incra 1000 mitre mounted to it's sled. Tried to square the blade with the existing slot nut fitting set up on the Incra and it just wouldn't work. Kept getting a pretty out of square cut. After trying this 4-5 times...

Completely backed off all the mitre slot fitting nuts on the Incra to start from scratch. I originally identified some tight spots in the slot and sanded these a little with 220 sandpaper to open them up a little. I was not to aggressive. When I complete my cut, the furthest slot fitting nut is out of the slot and there was a little play with the other three. I adjusted these so I had little to no play and there was reasonably freeish movement in the slot. Loosened the fence and with my square adjusted the fence square to the blade. I used a .0015 feeler gauge to make sure I had good contact with the square against the blade on both ends of the blade. A little trouble keeping it there while tightening down the fence, but got there.

What a pain. Anyone out there used thin nylon tape where the slot nuts fit on the Incra Mitre? I thought about backing everything off completely, adding this tape to both sides of the fence at the nuts and then trying to set it up and wondering if this would provide better movement through the Mitre when cutting or if it would be to thick to even let it go into the mitre slot?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Brian

glenn bradley
10-03-2022, 1:25 PM
I don't want to start that eristic argument again but, does this rig run on only one miter bar? In my experience (which is not the same as others report if you look back at some of the discussions on this) there is enough sway on a miter gauge or single runner platform to have you chase your tail eternally in search of a closer tolerance on larger or heavier materials.

As with so many things the real test is "how does it cut?". If you cut a couple of pieces of material do they butt against each other at a true angle? If so, or if close enough for your comfort then you are good to go. I see a lot of folks (me included) get caught up in chasing a number for the number's sake. I have learned to catch myself and check if the operation yields a consistent and acceptable result. If so, I stop. If not I will go to the ends of the earth . . . . .

Prashun Patel
10-03-2022, 2:27 PM
"Eristic". Thanks Glen. New word for me!

Edward Weber
10-03-2022, 2:29 PM
As with so many things the real test is "how does it cut?". If you cut a couple of pieces of material do they butt against each other at a true angle? If so, or if close enough for your comfort then you are good to go. I see a lot of folks (me included) get caught up in chasing a number for the number's sake. I have learned to catch myself and check if the operation yields a consistent and acceptable result. If so, I stop. If not I will go to the ends of the earth . . . . .

I was going to say something similar.
Always measure the cut.
Get your sled, fence, blade, etc., adjusted, as it seems you did, but make some test cuts before going any further. As you found out the hard way, it often doesn't matter how closely you adjust all the variables if it doesn't cut square.
I have to say I haven't had the issues you did with the Incra adjusters. Yes they can get too tight and a little difficult to adjust at times, but they work well IMO

Glad you got it to where you're satisfied.

Brian Runau
10-03-2022, 3:34 PM
I don't want to start that eristic argument again but, does this rig run on only one miter bar? In my experience (which is not the same as others report if you look back at some of the discussions on this) there is enough sway on a miter gauge or single runner platform to have you chase your tail eternally in search of a closer tolerance on larger or heavier materials.

It was not close enough to use, to much off 90. I always do my best, but don't seek perfection. Brian

Lee Schierer
10-03-2022, 5:58 PM
Anyone out there used thin nylon tape where the slot nuts fit on the Incra Mitre?

Brian

I have a Kreg miter gauge and found that the miter bar was loose in the miter slots. It has fiber set screws that are supposed to eliminate the slop but they wear relatively quickly and are spaced along the bar. I reduced the side to side play to less than 0.001" by applying some .006 thick UHMW thick tape to the side of the miter bar. The miter gauge now slides easily and has minimal side play no matter where along the bar I start my cuts. I have seen UHMW tape as thin as .003". I've also used the tape on wood runners for other sleds.

Brian Runau
10-03-2022, 8:27 PM
I have a Kreg miter gauge and found that the miter bar was loose in the miter slots. It has fiber set screws that are supposed to eliminate the slop but they wear relatively quickly and are spaced along the bar. I reduced the side to side play to less than 0.001" by applying some .006 thick UHMW thick tape to the side of the miter bar. The miter gauge now slides easily and has minimal side play no matter where along the bar I start my cuts. I have seen UHMW tape as thin as .003". I've also used the tape on wood runners for other sleds.

Thanks Lee. Brian

Dan Cameron
10-04-2022, 10:40 AM

Apologies, Glen, but I just HAD to comment. Eristic means argumentative, so an "eristic argument" is redundant, like a second runner on a crosscut sled.

Brian Runau
10-04-2022, 2:15 PM
Talked to Incra this morning. I have been squaring to the blade, but they told me to square the fence to the edge of the sled towards the blade. Brian

Brian Holcombe
10-04-2022, 3:16 PM
Square to travel, not to the fence or the blade. The way I do this is to take a test cut and compare to my square and flat surface.

Takes me 3-5min max, accurate to .001” over 18”.

Fence must be parallel to sled travel for accurate tenon shoulders.