PDA

View Full Version : Table Legs - What type of wood?

Jerry Vander Till
01-23-2006, 10:41 PM
LOML and I recently figured out how many people were going to be at our house for Easter dinner (10 adults and 4 kids under 5) and realized we need a new table!!! That means I get to play in my shop!:D

Here's my question. My table design will allow for extensions that will expand the table to a total of 10 feet. I am turning the legs. What type of wood should I use for the legs that provide the strength I'm going to need and will still turn relatively easy? I'm willing to deal with difficult turning if it provides extra strength.

Help!:confused:

Bill Stevener
01-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi Jerry,

I would think anything your heart desires, that is sound, except Balsa, which is a soft hard wood and one of the most difficult to turn.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keel McDonald
01-24-2006, 7:26 AM
What type of wood are you using for your table top? That would make a big difference in the type of wood you use for the legs. Asthetics is important.

Jerry Vander Till
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I realized this morning I left an important detail out. The legs and apron of the table will be painted, the top will be either old growth white pine or wormy maple. This table will be like an old country kitchen. I will probably distress the top and paint the legs and aprons several colors and sand the "wear" areas.

This allows me to use any wood I want for the legs and I want to use wood that will be stand up to daily use and holding up an Easter or Thanksgiving meal when it's extended the full 10 feet.

Andy Hoyt
01-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Go with Poplar

Jim Becker
01-24-2006, 2:23 PM
Poplar is fine (Tulip Poplar, not aspen) and maple is also a fine choice with a little more strength and hardness if you prefer. Both are smooth and will take your paint well.

Jerry Vander Till
01-24-2006, 7:58 PM
Thanks, I thought maybe poplar and maple would be good choices.