PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this mortising tool? Anyone bought one?

Tom Dixon
10-02-2022, 8:37 AM
Ran across this interesting take on a mortising tool. Uses some standard CNC parts and a custom aluminum frame. Anyone have or seen one of these up close? https://uueze.com/products/fixture

Edit: The site is probably a scam but a quick search on AliExpress turns up a similar product which is likely trustworthy.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802836200300.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.71 621ffcHVjftK

Curt Harms
10-02-2022, 9:09 AM
Price is right, I'd be curious how easy or difficult it would be to get an even feed speed. I also don't see how you adjust the width and depth of cut. They need a more detailed video. I've used a simple homemade jig to cut mortises with a router but it only works in a vertical orientation

Dave VanDewerker
10-02-2022, 11:33 AM
Search for a review of the website, it is a SCAM.

Jeff Roltgen
10-02-2022, 11:47 AM
Outscam the scammers: Actually build /patent this as a clear alternative to the wonderfully useful yet overpriced domino machines.

Pat Germain
10-02-2022, 12:24 PM
No doubt a lot of woodworkers would like to find a cheaper alternative to the Festool Domino. So is someone trying to scam these woodworkers?

My favorite review of the web site is, "Bought napkins. Received a fishing lure!".

Greg Quenneville
10-02-2022, 4:27 PM
The other comments aside, the tool has an inadequate fence for registering on the workpiece.

Myles Moran
10-02-2022, 6:48 PM
I'd wonder how much play there is in those linear bearings/slides/whatever mechanism let's it slide. While they don't have to necessarily be precise, they do have to be repeatedly accurate so you can cut a loose tenon that reliably fits every mortise you cut.

I once built a mortise jig for my router that used a bushing to guide it. It looked good enough, but the results were far from good enough. Problem is, i didn't figure this out until i ruined a good quantity of parts for a table i was building. I went back to my old standby of the edge guide on the router, and the problem was solved.

Mike Henderson
10-02-2022, 7:48 PM
Wait until it's offered on Amazon before you buy it. You can get your money back from Amazon if it's a scam.

Mike